ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Xenome Patch

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Xenome Patch

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 09:59

redeye wrote:Converted to .zip no internal directory structure in the .zip, just the files.

Query: why?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 12:06

Those screenshots look pretty damn spectacular! I particularly like the way in which you do outdoor terrain, looks amazing.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 13:24

redeye wrote:The game
https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... 6UH-yJNPO4

The patch
https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... RklJlsUP7A

Converted to .zip no internal directory structure in the .zip, just the files.

Ahh... Beat me to it! Had eight hours shut-eye since Jets comment.
The zip contains just the files that basically overwrite the ones already existing. I though it pointless to include all the ONP system stuff, only the textures and maps. The game can be started in the normal way of course.
The changes in the map files are obvious. The textures include the detail tex, but only the ones that are custom that needed them. The music is new and is more fitting rather than stock. There's a single system file that deals with trees, bushes etc, although I cant remember if i used it or not for this pack, it is however, used in the second pack extensively.
I thought i'd better include it just in case.

Don't know why i did'nt use a UMOD straight zip. I suppose it never occured to me to use one.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 13:59

It's great to see that you're still working on this. :tup:

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 18:38

If you want to reconfigure the file I will upload that and delete the other one.

As for umods, I always have to use umod extractor and never tried that reg fix since I don't trust it to work and because my "official" install right now is Unreal Gold and want to leave it be.I always drag files around.

Sana
RAR is an impostor and we should not have to have another program to open a compressed file unless it is proprietary such as a .CAB file.
All these years they build an industry standard all to trample all over it and most likely because Microsoft is embedding it as a directory, a .zip file is a "FILE" !!!!!!! .I changed windows7 to treat it as a file so now it works properly.

I really hate when people use RAR or seven zip, but they are trapped into doing it because the stupid web sites are forcing a non standard file, I ain't gonna change and neither should anyone else, what next a square tire ? !!!
To upload files as a .zip too skydrive I had to do the reg fix to be seen as "files" in win7, all works very good like it should.I go back to the days of using a command line in DOS for pkzip, now I use winzip 8.1
Just ban everyone

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 19:52

redeye wrote:Sana
RAR is an impostor and we should not have to have another program to open a compressed file unless it is proprietary such as a .CAB file.

The way I see it sana asked why you used a compression format without including the directory structure.
This causes extra work for the user, and increases the risk of copying a file to the wrong directory and guess what... pointless questions in this and other forums.

Also, what's wrong with rar (or other compression formats), and why the h*ll is cab any better?

Anyway, you're using the standard MS explorer as your file utility program, that's why zips are treated as folders. There are many alternates on the (free) market (and way better - personal opinion).

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 20:47

If people can't figure out how and where to drag files too is not my problem.I am also very aware and careful to make sure nothing gets overcopied.and people constructing a compressed FILE properly, should NOT have ANY duplicate file names to begin with.That would be under an installation program, not a compressed file.

I didn't say a .CAB was better, I said it is ok if a company uses a PROPRIETARY compression.

There is no reason to get another file manager, it is already built into windows.
Just ban everyone

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 22:14

redeye wrote:If people can't figure out how and where to drag files too is not my problem.I am also very aware and careful to make sure nothing gets overcopied.and people constructing a compressed FILE properly, should NOT have ANY duplicate file names to begin with.That would be under an installation program, not a compressed file.

I didn't say a .CAB was better, I said it is ok if a company uses a PROPRIETARY compression.

There is no reason to get another file manager, it is already built into windows.

Sorry... but I don't get the reasoning.
The patch consist of files which have to overwrite previous versions so overcopying is the point, isn't it?
An installation program is an exectable, a compressed file is just a collection of files, made smaller in size using a compression algorithm to put everything in 1 file, and duplicate file names just aren't possible unless they are in different directories.
I also don't see why a proprietary compression format is acceptable, or am I missing the part where MS Windows is part of the contract?

It seems the standard file manager didn't suit your needs so you had to go and "mess" in the registry. Good for you but I'm fairly certain your default Windows user doesn't know how to open the registry (and I wouldnt trust anyone fiddling around in mine).
Frankly, the Windows file manager doesn't half to what I need it to do (in default configuration) so I use a different program.

My whole point is: for yourself, do it whichever way works for you, but try to avoid forcing unnecessary actions for your target group when they can be eliminated in a simple step (the actions, not your target group :wink: ).

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 22:49

I always just use WinRar to open .zip files.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 23:03

LoL well ever since they dumbed down computer literacy is WHY people don't understand the difference between a file and a directory.So I am here to educate the masses and know what a drive file structure is.I think MS made a deal with the zip guy, and that is why websites are charging for, or not allowing upload of zip files.
Yes MS is wrong and I repaired the problem, I am not the problem it's those stupid people who call directories, folders, and they need a whooping.

okok I quit, back to topic......................

No I mean over copying the files within a zip, if made correctly no file names should be duplicated.Like 10 readme.txt, if you can't do that it should be a self extracting .exe or a setup program.
Just ban everyone

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 00:03

Close to finishing it.

EDIT:

Pretty sure this is Static.
Where you see the black mark (near the junction between the rails, where you can see throughout the floor) there's a killer BSP hole.

Early in Sour Water, in the area where four Lesser Brutes are patrolling, one of the "ambush" rooms can be opened by the player. Inside this one there's a Skaarj Assassin who ignores you until you attack him. This room should be found past the chamber where you have to put the code to open the main underwater passage.

The very first room of Map 8, Disposal, has a different texture floor compared to the same chamber you enter at the end of Map 7.

Always in Disposal, past Silo 2 chamber there's a corridor which leads to a dead end (the large doors with windows). These windows are translucent (you can see a big wall behind them).

Near the end of Disposal, there's a metallic bridge where a Skaarj Lord (the last one I think) attacks you. This metallic bridge has a broken section you need to jump over. If you don't you'll instantly die once you touch the area of the gap (below the bridge there's just a chamber crossed previously). I believe it's intentional, however you don't feel always sure that you're going to cross that death trigger.
ImageImage

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 01:03

UBerserker wrote:Close to finishing it.

EDIT:

Pretty sure this is Static.
Where you see the black mark (near the junction between the rails, where you can see throughout the floor) there's a killer BSP hole.

Early in Sour Water, in the area where four Lesser Brutes are patrolling, one of the "ambush" rooms can be opened by the player. Inside this one there's a Skaarj Assassin who ignores you until you attack him. This room should be found past the chamber where you have to put the code to open the main underwater passage.

The very first room of Map 8, Disposal, has a different texture floor compared to the same chamber you enter at the end of Map 7.

Always in Disposal, past Silo 2 chamber there's a corridor which leads to a dead end (the large doors with windows). These windows are translucent (you can see a big wall behind them).

Near the end of Disposal, there's a metallic bridge where a Skaarj Lord (the last one I think) attacks you. This metallic bridge has a broken section you need to jump over. If you don't you'll instantly die once you touch the area of the gap (below the bridge there's just a chamber crossed previously). I believe it's intentional, however you don't feel always sure that you're going to cross that death trigger.

Thx UB. Much appreciated with the feedback. Damn those BSP's, felt sure i had them licked. It seems everytime i nail one down another takes it's place. :( . I'll sort them out as soon as i can. On playing the Static level there's no indication of the hole, or in the editor for that matter. :| I died though!
The Assassin in Sour Water was properly triggered, however on inspection he had his single player changed to false , cant remember doing that! :rolleyes:
The texture difference is no problem, same as the translucent window.
The bridge thing isn't a death trigger, it seems it's another hole.

Overall so far it seems these are minor problems. Is there anything major that i need to be aware of?
Gameplay, lighting, Health etc?

Here's a quick one: How do you place a pawn that only shows up in coop?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 01:38

Set bSingleplayer to false and ensure bNet is true. You can use other filters normally.

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 01:52

Waffnuffly wrote:Set bSingleplayer to false and ensure bNet is true. You can use other filters normally.

Hmmm.. Thats what i figured, according to UB's playthrough, he found one in SP when it was configured for MP.
Wonder why? Could it have something to do with the trigger which was set for SP?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 06:02

He may have been playing on Difficulty=4 which I think enabled coop enemies, or using a mutator that does it. UB, did you play it normally on Unreal or did you do something funky?

Previous Next