UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[RELEASED] Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

Post Posted: 14 May 2012, 07:16

...What exactly does mapping in 226f have to do with clients using 7 or vista? There's no inherent difference for the end user based on that. It's a class called Engine.LevelSummary, and you can test your maps in a completely different version than you map on.

Also, 224 and 226b have newer versions of opengl and direct3d called "OMP" made my smirftsch of oldunreal.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 14 May 2012, 11:46

According to my experience, there's no problem in using 226f as an editor platform as long as you make sure to run WingedUnicorn's LevelSummary batch converter tool thingy on your maps before release to make them compatible with pre-226 versions of Unreal.

Sadly I don't have a link to the tool at the moment, but I'm sure someone can find it on the internet somewhere.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 14 May 2012, 15:08

Thank you so much, Sana. I have the file mc.exe which I understand is the converter that you mentioned. I will apply the converter when the maps are completed and, if satisfied with the results, will release them. You will realize, I am sure, that I have been away from Unreal for almost 14 years and, thus, not yet up to speed on the technical developments that have occurred in that time. Whilst I am always receptive to helpful, friendly and respectful advice such as you and UBerserker have given, I am not about to be interrogated by techies in the matter.

Kew

Post Posted: 14 May 2012, 20:48

sana wrote:According to my experience, there's no problem in using 226f as an editor platform as long as you make sure to run WingedUnicorn's LevelSummary batch converter tool thingy on your maps before release to make them compatible with pre-226 versions of Unreal.

That's what I've been saying the entire time.

Also, i'm not interrogating you Kew, i'm trying to get your user base the best possible experience, you probably don't know how much Illhaven was spammed in the coop community for years, which is why I asked if the new version will have any quick coop tests to make sure nothing is going to break and stop players from finishing the map based on movers with people either blocking them or respawning after doing certain things.

I don't want people to edit the map post-release to fix it if it can't be fixed with a mutator. Creating version mismatches is really, really bad for things like this.

Kew

Post Posted: 14 May 2012, 22:50

I do appreciate your input, Casey. It is well known that you have considerable programming skills in video gaming. Perhaps you could test some maps for me.

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 02:25

Sure, I can do tests. I'd be honored to do that.

Invictus
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 09:12

This is incredible news \o/. I'm very excited thank you Kew!!

Kew

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 14:43

Invictus..... Now that name brings back some memories. Long, long ago, before Unreal, I worked on a Quake mod called Fantasy Quake: Rise of the Phoenix with a man by the name of Invictus and several others. It was, in that mod, that Illhaven Harbour first appeared...... That would have been in about 1996. In fact, I believe there is a reference to Invictus in Unreal Illhaven Harbour, as one of Kew's many translator digressions. Just a bit of Illhaven history prompted by your name......
'

Kew

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 16:24

Casey, we need to communicate off forum. If you contact sana, administrator, this is my ok for her to give you my e-mail address.

Kew

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 16:48

Him. Sana is a He.
Sorry...

Kew

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 17:19

Oops! Picture icon fooled me. Please forgive me sana.

Kew (male)

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 18:07

Kew wrote:Oops! Picture icon fooled me. Please forgive me sana.

Isn't this the second time someone has made this mistake? :P I recall it happening in another discussion.

Also I don't seem to have commented in this thread yet, so I'll add that I really enjoyed Illhaven when I played it (a couple of years ago now). This will be a nice excuse to rediscover how great it was.

Kew

Post Posted: 16 May 2012, 04:45

Update:

I have completed all the maps both old reworked and the new. I was minded to send them out to a select few to test. But I am now thinking of just releasing them to all and anyone who wants to play them.

Kew

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 16 May 2012, 04:52

A little extra time testing usually is worth it. You'll probably find some bugs.

Kew

Post Posted: 16 May 2012, 06:09

Yes, I am all for testing but bear in mind the following. The original maps have been time tested over 12 years or so. Many a critic has pointed out the bugs/glitches. The purpose of reworking them was to fine tune out those pesky bugs, as well as some re-texturing and construction. Diablo 3 took as long to test with a huge staff but not entirely successful (from what I hear) (lol). THe new maps have been tested in house for the past 4 weeks or so. I think it fair to say that you can always find something to fix and that may be why some projects die of a thousand cuts. But I would like to get this show on the road.

Kew

Previous Next