Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[RELEASED] Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 19:37

Seems like a bloody interesting story (Okay, this pun was bad^^). This makes me even more hungry for playing your map pack!
However, I'd like to point you to a problem with the lighting. As much as I love your brushwork, your lighting creates what some call "greenies". These appear the most obviously at the right side of the street where the branch to the right is. These greenies are caused by too many lights with too high brightness in an area. To keep the same intensity, after reducing the lanterns' brightness you should add some additional light actors with such a small radius that these show no effect on the floor. Then floor will be lit correctly without the green touch and you maintain the bright circles around the lanterns.
If you already knew that and wanted to fix that, I am sorry for my detailed post.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 20:46

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

Waffnuffly, the architectural style is drawn from a whole lot of influences. Books, movies and, more importantly, from the fact that I grew up in west Cornwall, England, where old buildings are everywhere. I studied paintings and was particularly influenced by Vermeer in the combination of light radiance interaction with old buildings and Unreal worked for me in reproducing some of these effects.

Invictus, I know that Unreal 1 is getting kind of "long in the tooth", but it still amazes me just what can be done with it, like what I was saying to Waff, above.

Editor Dave, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate your advice about lighting. I ran the map through again and the effect you discussed was greatly reduced. When I put the pics up on Photobucket I manipulated the brightness/contrast and, unfortunately, this seems to have exaggerated the effect. But there is room for improvement there and I will work on it but I must be careful to retain the overall lighting effect which is of morning sunrise/evening sun going down (whichever is more accurate!).

Kew

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 22:48

I'm seeing lots of higgledy-piggledy angles. I've always taken the easy way out and gone for neat angles and straight lines when building period stuff, so I take my hat off to you.

Or I would, if I was wearing one.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 22 May 2012, 02:26

Very nice sceenies! (Dead humans galore are something i don't remember from the original)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Kew

Post Posted: 22 May 2012, 02:40

Hellscrag, in that map, which was the first one I made after returning to Unreal, I went for leaning houses, sagging roofs, as much off-vertical as I could, including fence posts and whatever..... I'm not sure if I didn't bite off more than Unreal can chew. The night version, yes there are two versions, went quite smoothly and is finished. The day version, as in the pics, is a daily battle. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess.

Knuckle, thanks!

Kew

Kew

Post Posted: 24 May 2012, 21:41

Update:

Everything is coming along quite nicely I think. I will give you a bit of the story line that threads itself through the maps. The character, Kew, starts out as an old man in The White Horse Tavern by the fireplace in a dream in which he relives/recounts some adventures as a younger man..... The player gets a little background that way. From there, the player is transported to a long disused chapel, representing Illhaven today and so it will go on. There are other time changes encountered, but those are for another day..... I have attached pics of the fireplace (remastered) and the chapel (new)

(Hope pics work. Still new at webspeak)

Kew

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 May 2012, 22:49

I need to try this once I get unlazy...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 17:52

The second shot is great. Not overly complex and yet it does the job. This is what I always liked from Illhaven.
ImageImage

Kew

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 19:06

Well, thank you. When I started mapping, an experienced level designer advised me to follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule. I have taken that into account, not always with success! Seems to me that what you don't put into a map is as important as what you do, i.e. a balance between form and space. Anyway, enough of that; I'll probably get slammed for yakking on.........

Here is another pic. You can practice your sniping skills picking off skaarj on the harbour front from here. At almost max range (about a mile?)

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 20:51

A small request and one word of warning:

Your character is described as a Nali, and in 227 (and I believe in 226 as well) you can play as a Nali -- but this class is a bit taller than the human classes. I'd advise you to keep all passages and the like large enough for a Nali to cross. :) A purist like myself would appreciate that.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Kew

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 21:10

Delacroix, I don't remember ever describing the character, Kew, as a Nali. If I did, that would have been in error. Personally, can't stand them; they spend all their time whining and cowering and all I ever want to do with them is to tell them to shut the f up! :)

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 22:16

In the original game they do, sadly. But, you definitely SHOULD read both Unreal novels (if you'd like, I can find you a link to electronic versions) and in them you can see the true spirit of the Nali people :P

I'll replay the original Illhaven today and tell you where the character Kew was described as a a Nali so that you can correct it if you still mean it :)
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 22:58

Delacroix wrote:A small request and one word of warning:

Your character is described as a Nali, and in 227 (and I believe in 226 as well) you can play as a Nali -- but this class is a bit taller than the human classes. I'd advise you to keep all passages and the like large enough for a Nali to cross. :) A purist like myself would appreciate that.

The Nali race was never added to Unreal untill 227 came out. You would be stuck playing as a human or skaarj trooper. But a playable nali model was made for previous versions. But there was a bug, the weapon is not shown in 3'rd person view. So you go from a Nali 'nade launching maniac to a Nali with shrapenal coming out of its hands.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

Kew

Post Posted: 26 May 2012, 23:16

Delacroix, I just took a look at Illhaven Harbour again. There is a reference in a musing by Kew, the character, to days when there was a market and children laughing, just inside the walled inner town. Kew does say that he will avenge his "kin". Since there are two Nali in the bar on the quay, I suppose someone might assume they represent the population. Although equally they could be unemployed seamen hanging out there as visitors..... Anyway, Kew now says he will avenge "them"...... But I will keep looking to see what else I might find. Now this is beta testing in extremis :)

Yes, please link the electronic books.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 27 May 2012, 07:56

Maxer 64 wrote:
Delacroix wrote:A small request and one word of warning:

The Nali race was never added to Unreal untill 227 came out. You would be stuck playing as a human or skaarj trooper.

Nope. It was in stock unreal. open vortex2?Class=unreali.naliplayer

edit: open UnrealI.int and put in Object=(Name=Unreali.NaliPlayer,Class=Class,MetaClass=UnrealShare.UnrealiPlayer,Description="Nali") and it should add nali player to the player class list.

Previous Next