ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[U1] Unreal: 1996-1997 Remake

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Master_Unreal
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [U1] Unreal: 1996-1997 Remake

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 05:29

Project: Unreal 1996-1997 Remake
Progress: Heavy Development

As soon as I figured out a method for recreating alpha meshes, I decided that I had enough resources to essentially remake Unreal as it was stated in the Unreal Bible. Everything from monsters to weapons, levels and gameplay concepts (Hub systems, transforming, etc) will make it into this final version, as well as some of my own ideas that might seem fitting. The "Almost Identical Remakes" topic merely served as a precursor to what I had planned this entire time.

Right now I am working on old monster behaviors (Code copied and edited straight from the Unreal 97 Alpha) And things are getting somewhere, I have a few set things planned to show soon

An actual Skaarj (actual model, code and all)
Bigman (actual model, code and all)
LittleMan (these are actually for the "bug eyed" brute, but i decided since they look kinda like the creature doesnt know what its doing, I decided to make this a younger, less experienced version of the bigman)
Dragon (Getting a big change)
A tech demo of the style of gameplay (UnrealRemakeTechDemo.unr is basically all the alpha maps merged with creatures and weapons placed inside, there will be some areas where artifacts will be required in order to pass)

I have no screenshots yet to show other than the ones shown in my previous topic, which were actually from that map.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: [U1] Unreal: 1996-1997 Remake

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 08:10

Not to poop on this, but remaking unreal as stated in the unreal bible seems kind of pointless to me. The unreal bible led to Unreal. Design decisions were made, things happened and unreal was the result.

Anything you produce based on that bible is going to be speculation. The game described never actually existed. The bible led to Unreal itself.

So if you're going to do this, don't try to stick to the bible religiously. What would be awesome is if you just made a loose mappack that used all the alpha/beta assets and turned them into something actually playable. That would be awesome. Ignore the bible and just make whatever maps you want provided that they use the old assets. The result would be awesome.

Don't try to replicate alpha unreal. it never existed. The best and closest thing we have to that document is unreal itself.

(This post is repetitive. I'm sooo tired. Soz :P)

edit: To summarise, I like the idea of actually putting all the converted alpha and beta content to good use, but I don't think an implementation of the unreal bible is the answer. It just seems really pointless to me. But i'd play whatever you pumped out regardless! :)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 09:23

Now this is really fucking sweet :tup:
And you also start with few advantages since a bunch of stuff mentioned in the UnBible got recovered. I liked how Unreal was supposed to be in the Unbible since I'm a sucker for adventure-like FPS games.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 12:44

@TheIronKnuckle: Hehe, I guess the term "remake" should be used a bit more loosely, this could be misleading to others so I'll change the project name eventually. The mappack is gonna use the descriptions that the UNBIBLE has (weapons, monsters inside the map, artifacts, etc) but as far as everything else it'll be brand new. Here's an example: Got bored in school one day (handwriting is terrible) so I made up a "MAINMAP1" diagram

This is created before I knew that the levels in retail unreal were not at all planned for this version (hence the VR on the ship)

Thanks for the input though, it is helpful :D

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 12:48

As of Castle/Dark Arena will you use the Titan arena from the Dark Arena beta? The Unbible description is very close to it.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 18:07

So.... a remake of the levels we know from screenshots & movieclips? (like the famous room with water that never made it into a level as we know it)
there's more

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 18:10

Darkon wrote:So.... a remake of the levels we know from screenshots & movieclips? (like the famous room with water that never made it into a level as we know it)

Not alpha stuff.
Just what's mentioned in the Unbible.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011, 00:32

I really like your drawing alot and I see some great potential in this project. Maybe you should team up with the team from the recreation of RTNP for UT (integration and lightning) so this thing can also get a separate executable eventually. Not sure how you feel about all that stuff, but I really liked how it worked out for the RTNP remake and think this deserves something similar in fashion.

If you need any help getting brushes from beta levels or any terrain layouts done via Lightwave 3d plz pm me with details.. I can help.

edit:

Also, I do agree with TIK about the name of the project. Calling it a "remake" is a bit overkill and misleading IMO. I would strongly suggest to give it a unique name later down the road which you've already seemed to address in your last post 8)

Good Luck!

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 03:51

I present, the Little Man

A lighter version of the skin will be done as well. (Might use the name ArchAngel)

ArchAngel

Using Alpha code = dropped, it didn't wanna work well at all despite any major changes, so I re-coded everything myself or used snippets of retail code

Skaarj Hunter = Mostly done, for some reason it hangs when the player dies
Bigman = Mostly done, doesn't shoot the left missile when "still-firing", this is because the MESH NOTIFY command isn't in use

Once I get these wrapped up I will resume the tech demo map release which should be out pretty soon (considering school doesn't drive me back and code doesn't turn against me :D )

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 11:27

Umm, what's wrong with his face? I can't remember him having such a big eyes (glasses?) and teeth...

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 12:47

From the magazine scan

From some old editor shot

Not sure if you forgot about these guys, so correct me if im wrong Lol :lol:

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 13:20

Yeah those are the first Bigmen skins.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 13:58

I remember a Unreal trailer 97' and there they didn't have THAT kind of face expressions... And I like the ones with normal faces much more... :/
This BigMan was one of my favorites from these trailers and shots and I didn't know he was such scary happy guy at the beginning.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 14:13

The one with the big eyes was an even older version (from 1995). But yeah I also prefer the 1996-1997 Bigmen that look more like Brutes.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 16:44

The old bigman didn't have nostrils.. but the 'new' version that you're making does.
Now.. what about the 'newer' bigman (with hair, red eyes, etc).. what will you do with that stuff? Another bigman... or drop it altogether?
there's more

Next