Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Helix: Alien Legion (UT)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Drevlin
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Helix: Alien Legion (UT)

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:06

Developer: (Nexus interactive)
Status: Cancelled ages ago, but we are considering releasing what we got

(Sorry for the size, size differences and general messyness of the screenshots. Just using old pictures I had online here, can clean up later if so required.)

Synopsis: The UNITED EARTH CONFEDERATE - a militant federation under the benevolent authoritarian rule of General ANTHON GENESIUS. The control of galactic trade routes and massive, ever expanding population have made UEC into an armada feared by the all other local races. Humanity is one at last, but still guarded against what lies beyond its borders.

The arrival and subsequent alliance with the PROTEAN seemingly prepares Earth for a war of survival against the SKORAQ. Through the massive militarization and positioning of military forces, it is the plea for help from one dissident PROTEAN with alarming information about the PROTEANS that ignites Fleet Commander MIKHAIL, the UEX AVENGER and her crew on an odyssey across the boundless infinite to discover the conspiracy gripping UEC and advert a war that does not need to occur... a war that mankind will lose.

Features: Third Person Role playing game featuring Character Customization, weapon leveling system, a singleplayer campaign and a specific four map Co-op campaign spanning a total of 12 maps. New tech: Particle systems, line entities, volumetric explosions (i think), third person camera system, compleatly new art including characters, enemies, weapons, and a bunch of new environment textures

Latest News: Eh. I was just talking to the project Lead on Facebook and we are considering releasing this thing, if there is any interest from people here.
Links::http://alien-legion.com/ (Warning: Really old and broken)

Additional info: Hey guys, sorry if I am going off guide-lines here but there are a few more things I would like to say. First off, this project is not in production and hasn't been in production for a long time. I joined the team that was working on this in 2001 and worked on it for a few years, until it eventually died off in 2005-2004 due to... well, I went off to study games development and other people from the team set out on their own separate paths.
I spoke to the project lead today. We were looking at old screenshots we dug up and we started talking about MAYBE, POTENTIALLY releasing it to the public early next year. It would require minimal work on our part, just slap it into a single install file, link some maps together and BAM. Done.

Additional screenshots, alot of them dating back to mid production between 2001 and 2004, can be seen here:
http://tomaslidstrom.com/miga/index.php?f=Helix+Alien+Legion+-+Unreal+Engine+1

So. Would anyone be interested to see what me and a bunch of guys were doing about 8 years ago? :) If so, speak up. (Fingers crossed all this crazy linking, bold text and shit is working. I havnt trolled around forums in ages.)
Last edited by Drevlin on 16 Dec 2011, 11:24, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Helix: Alien Legion (UT)

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:09

I definitely would be! A lot of those shots looks great. :tup:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:15

Holy shit this is awesome
ImageImage

Strife

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:24

Hey. Yeah I'm said old project lead. "Strife"... I don't know who may still be around to remember Drevlin, mine and our groups old project. But we're getting on it being 7-10 years since it really blossomed into something we thought was special, and that it is finally time to share it if people are interested in it.

The content was basically all done by the time we stopped working on it. Drevlin "went pro" as we used to say back in old #unrealed, and well, his impressive resume speaks for itself. I went to school for Computer Science, and most of the rest of the team went to work or school. As Drev said, all our separate ways. But all the pieces were there. They've been sitting on a bunch of hard drives for years, waiting for the right time. After some reminiscing tonight, we think the time is now.

After the holidays, if people are interested we MAY release it in one, final package. But I'd like to know if there has been any advances in the renderer or sound system that could be just plugged in to "fill in the gaps" with parts of the project we never got to. All our music, for example, was made in mp3 / ogg, but never incorporated into the final maps because we didn't get to adding support for it. Actually putting those in would be one of the 3 big things to make the entire thing complete (along with linking the maps and putting it in one package).

Thanks for your interest and help! :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 11:28

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=410&hilit=rmusic+player
Supports loads of audio files such as Mp3 and OGG
Can be used with Galaxy too
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 14:03

Oh my god I remember this stuff when it was still in development. Releasing it would be amazing!

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 14:07

I've been wanting to play this ever since I saw the first screenshots of it so... hell fucking yeah!

User avatar TheInvalid

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 14:23

That looks pretty freaking incredible. It took me a while to double-take and realize that this was running in Unreal Engine 1! Honestly looks like a UT2k4 mod, such is the quality and detail of the models and suchlike. Would play the hell out of this just to gawp at what you managed to tease out of the old engine.
"Logic can convince but only emotion can motivate."

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 14:48

TheInvalid wrote:That looks pretty freaking incredible. It took me a while to double-take and realize that this was running in Unreal Engine 1! Honestly looks like a UT2k4 mod, such is the quality and detail of the models and suchlike.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw the shots until I remembered what this was (and saw the telltale UE1 coronas). The level design and textures are amazing; it's no surprise Drevlin went pro if he was making stuff this cool so many years ago.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 15:07

Wow... Want...

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 16:35

Looks great, but some of it doesn't even look possible in UE1 and seems like it would cause crazy poly/node count lag and BSP hell unless they are static meshes of some sort. If that's straight up BSP, good lord I'm gonna quit mapping.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 16:45

Isn't this the one with maps exceeding 64k nodes or polys limit?
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 16:46

Doublez-Down wrote:Looks great, but some of it doesn't even look possible in UE1 and seems like it would cause crazy poly/node count lag and BSP hell unless they are static meshes of some sort. If that's straight up BSP, good lord I'm gonna quit mapping.

That all looks like pretty straightforward geometry to me, maybe some of it was made in Max and imported but BSP all the way. You're mostly impressed because of the REALLY good textures and lighting, which hides the fact that most of the detail is made with relatively simple shapes applied in the proper proportions.

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 16:54

Strife wrote:After the holidays, if people are interested we MAY release it in one, final package. But I'd like to know if there has been any advances in the renderer or sound system that could be just plugged in to "fill in the gaps" with parts of the project we never got to. All our music, for example, was made in mp3 / ogg, but never incorporated into the final maps because we didn't get to adding support for it. Actually putting those in would be one of the 3 big things to make the entire thing complete (along with linking the maps and putting it in one package).

RMusicPlayer is the tool for the job. It's been in use for several years now in EXU2 demos, as well as other upcoming projects: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=410

As far as renderers go, most modern D3D/OpenGL renderers (EXUOpenGL.drv included with Demo 4 for example) support uncapped DrawDistance and a variety of other things, so these would also be viable if you need more advanced rendering features.

User avatar Shadow
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011, 18:02

This looks absolutely amazing! I think you can really consider here's high interest in this mod! Great work. Couldn't believe my Eyes this is really Unreal Engine 1!

Next