UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 21:19

BeWilderBeest wrote:Wall-hugging and timing my runs :P

It's possible to get to a safe area before the first train hits you, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get to a second safe area running - that's where the jumpboots are necessary.
[spoiler]Unless it's possible to jump and stay on the slanted areas, if so then jumpboots are probably not necessary (I'll have to try that)[/spoiler]

Qtit wrote:[spoiler]Lot of spoilers roun'd here. Don'tcha think?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That's because otherwise it would spoil the fun for the others 8)[/spoiler]

Loke
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 21:36

I'm sad. I waited during the credits. :(

Apart from the annoyingly small font during speeches and some poor performance in some instances I didn't find any major issues. I had one stupid, on my part, instance [spoiler]in which the grocery store keeper decided to attack me after I stole the beers though after a lengthy battle I came out victorious. Kinda funny going back to the counter speaking to an invisible clerk. :D[/spoiler]

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 23:58

OK, this time I really finished it.
It's ... different. Not at all what I would expect from an Unreal game, but nonetheless amusing.
OK, amusing doesn't sound very positive and I have to admit I wasn't thrilled all the way. To sum up the weaker points:
1. the screen (as mentioned before, it's fairly easy to miss some of the messages due to the number of messages, the speed at which they pass by and the font/color used). Concerning the speed, it's going to be difficult to keep it readable without making the waiting time too long.
2. the story is sometimes a bit over-strechted (e.g. the bloblet needs Woodrow, so why try to eliminate him with the Battlebeast contest)
3. it's fairly difficult to do something wrong and as such there's not much tension (especially 3rd map)

But ... there are also positive aspects;
1. the gametype (adventure-like) is a novelty and the concept is promising
2. visually it's very good
3. humour is top notch
4. train section nears or even reaches perfection

It's not perfect but still I'm in favour of a continuation :tup:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 00:15

Already finished it. Many sections lagged like hell but the third map was really worth the trip.
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 02:13

salsaSkaarj wrote:2. the story is sometimes a bit over-strechted (e.g. the bloblet needs Woodrow, so why try to eliminate him with the Battlebeast contest)

I'm confused a bit by this, how exactly does he need Weedrow? My personal interpretation is that [spoiler]The Cow is just a decoy to a.) distract people from finding the real Chalice before the Bloblet manages to b.) lure them into his personal storage dimension and then sell their wordly possessions over eBay to fund his search for the real Chalice (thank ebd for that explanation :o). The Bloblet doesnt need Weedrow to find the Chalice, however Weedrow still manages to find the real Chalice before him and in the resulting argument they agree to a 'gentleman's duel' to see who gets to take it. In the case that Weedrow loses this is very convenient for the Bloblet because he can get rid of Weedrow as well as 'justifiably' take the Chalice, in the case that Weedrow wins he's going to take it anyway because that's just the guy he is. He then eliminates Weedrow by way of a very explosive hallway :o In any case, I'm not sure where Weedrow is needed for The Bloblet's success, he's only been hampering it.[/spoiler]

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 11:31

@ Frieza

Thx for the explanation. Perhaps I misinterpreted the story. I'm now forced to replay it :wink:

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 20:41

BeWilderBeest wrote:Wall-hugging and timing my runs :P

[spoiler]I did the same first time, but then I read about jumpboots and killing the murderer here...[/spoiler]

I had a bug with Reflesher too, the Unbeliever hadn't appeared. I stepped the place where he should appear, so he didn't have room to spawn I guess.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011, 21:40

diamond and BeWilderBeest wrote:Wall-hugging and timing my runs :P

Tested and confirmed.
[spoiler]It took e few treis but by (normal) jumping on to the slanted areas it's possible to slide onto the train, and by keeping on jumping towards the wall, the train rushes by and the next safe area is reachable.[/spoiler]

diamond

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011, 10:38

[spoiler]Also, you can stroll along the railways before you get instructions from skaarj to kill the murderer and use jumpboots. Do messages about wrong direction and jumpboots appear in that case anyway?[/spoiler]

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011, 12:57

They probably do.. I think we just kind of assumed you'd get killed without jumpboots anyway. Anyway, it's just a matter of changing the triggers a little, so it's going on the buglist :o

User avatar Nali Nemisis
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011, 06:34

Looks cool. I'll download it when i've installed unreal on my new computer.

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011, 17:08

I really enjoyed the humor and creativity that went into this, it had me laughing out loud during several parts. Though definitely not a typical Unreal campaign, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Good job :tup:

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011, 23:39

For being a collaboration, the pack's quality was really consistent. Great job, everyone! \o/

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011, 00:48

So, next summer we'll go off with The Chronicles of Weedrow: The secrets of Ominous Yawn Castle. Or something.

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011, 01:08

Aargh, so many people found some glitches in my area :lol:

[spoiler]I kinda knew it was possible to cross the train without jumpboots, and i intentionally left it open for anyone to try :P although i figured it would be so hard, you'd have to be insane to even try, atleast i never made it that way ;)![/spoiler]
As for the jumpboots
[spoiler]The jumpboots are supposed to spawn after you return to the shopkeeper after wacking that guy, and even if you accidentally miss/lose the jumpboots they should respawn there[/spoiler]
Oh but about stealing
[spoiler]Originally i had the warlord being nearly invulnerable+beefed up stats to make the fight impossible to win, i should have kept it like that, serves you right for stealin mah beer and not apologizing![/spoiler]
Even to me some of the final touches were a big surprise, i have to say all the other participants did an AWESOME job, especially those involved in the ending area's!

Can't wait for the next installment, hopefully i'll be able to find some time to work on that as well :P

Previous Next