Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

got a question

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: got a question

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:38

OK you're clearly missing the point, so I'll be tender:

Making a single map, let alone a mod to the scale you're suggesting, is a hell of a lot of work. MONTHS, if not YEARS, of work. You don't just come ask people to make stuff for you; people who have the skill to make stuff are already working on their own ideas, not ideas someone else asked them to work on.

If you want to see something like this happen, you need to follow the path all of us did - read tutorials, learn the editor, and start working on things yourself. That's the only way you're ever going to see this kind of mod happen, because I can just about guarantee that no one is going to jump on this idea if they have the skills to do it since those people are already involved in making their own stuff.

Making maps and mods is a huge time investment, too, and not something that should be taken for granted. Show respect for that aspect of the trade; most people do this with no expectation of any kind of return, so making demands is pretty brazen.

User avatar armymen
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:42

Waffnuffly wrote:OK you're clearly missing the point, so I'll be tender:

Making a single map, let alone a mod to the scale you're suggesting, is a hell of a lot of work. MONTHS, if not YEARS, of work. You don't just come ask people to make stuff for you; people who have the skill to make stuff are already working on their own ideas, not ideas someone else asked them to work on.

If you want to see something like this happen, you need to follow the path all of us did - read tutorials, learn the editor, and start working on things yourself. That's the only way you're ever going to see this kind of mod happen, because I can just about guarantee that no one is going to jump on this idea if they have the skills to do it since those people are already involved in making their own stuff.

Making maps and mods is a huge time investment, too, and not something that should be taken for granted. Show respect for that aspect of the trade; most people do this with no expectation of any kind of return, so making demands is pretty brazen.

im not making demands man just whenever u guys get around to it yes i di try to the maps & stuff which came out pretty crappy lol im sure u understand
WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:45

Fair enough, but all the same... you're more likely to see something like this happen if you make it yourself, because I get the sense most people here (even those who are WK40K fans) aren't really interested in making a WH40k-themed map pack when they could create their own story and express more of their own creativity, you know?

It's hard to make a good map pack, and it takes a lot of time to learn. But there's only one way to get good enough to do it, and that's to practice!

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:47

Waffnuffly wrote:Fair enough, but all the same... you're more likely to see something like this happen if you make it yourself, because I get the sense most people here (even those who are WK40K fans) aren't really interested in making a WH40k-themed map pack when they could create their own story and express more of their own creativity, you know?

It's hard to make a good map pack, and it takes a lot of time to learn. But there's only one way to get good enough to do it, and that's to practice!

yes i just tried to get the editor to work but it just came up with an error

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:50

What you can do is giving Unreality proper TranslatorEvents. This doesn't require mapping knowledge and satisfies your demand. With the permission of the author you can show us your work by uploading it publically. :)

When you have problems with the editor tell them to us and we'll try to slove them.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:55

editor Dave wrote:What you can do is giving Unreality proper TranslatorEvents. This doesn't require mapping knowledge and satisfies your demand. With the permission of the author you can show your work to us by uploading it publically. :)

When you have problems with the editor tell them to us and we'll try to slove them.

here's what the error says Can't find 'ini:Engine In Configuration file History: UObject::SafeLoadError <-UObject::StaticLoadClass <-InitEngine

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:26

never mind i just had ut installed wrong lol

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:42

editor Dave wrote:What you can do is giving Unreality proper TranslatorEvents. This doesn't require mapping knowledge and satisfies your demand. With the permission of the author you can show us your work by uploading it publically. :)

If you do this be sure to also completely redo all of the gameplay from scratch, just select all the pawns in use and delete, then start adding them back in sensible locations one by one, and usually no more than one at a time if you're going to use the same pawns, cause god DAMN, what an awful fucking map pack

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:47

can u point me to where i can read some tutorials ty

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:52

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:58

this should work good

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 23:44

stupid editor now it's not letting me use the editor again stupid errors :x

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010, 23:55

Do you have patch 436 installed? That's the ideal one for development, and it fixed problems I personally had with the editor.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar armymen

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 00:48

yes i also have 451 installed

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 00:50

451 is bad news if you want to mod on an install with it patched to 451. 436 is what you should use by itself. I don't know what you mean by also having 451 alongside with 436, but if it's one install of UT you're talking about, 436, and that's it.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Previous Next