UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1] Unreal PSX

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: [u1] Unreal PSX

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 10:08

Developer: Pterodactyl Software Ltd <original>, Leo(T.C.K.) <remake>
Image Image
Image Image
Synopsis: The story reveals more about the nature of J'Rath and some of the Nali rituals along the way.
Features: 30+ playable maps (some still missing atm) divided into several smaller segments, one new gun was planned that was meant to possess enemies and will be finished.
Latest News: 24-11-2010: Leo found and contacted another mapper that was elusive up till now. Perhaps more stuff will come?
Links: Original BeyondUnreal thread.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Delacroix

Subject: Re: [u1] Unreal PSX

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 10:19

The mappers involved in the project are as follows:

Nathan "natestah" Silvers
Eric C. Reuter
John W. Anderson
Jakub Kisiel
Jeff Rubin
Jason Watkins
Ilya "Elya Iceking" Isaykin
Matthew Kagle
Terry Greer
James "eVOLVE" Hamer-Morton
William "Core" Bobos

The ones in BOLD have not been contacted at all as of yet. Others - in order to protect their privacy I won't state which ones - have either lost their content in hard drive failures or provided it to Leo.

Now here is the currently salvaged content: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CUZNWNDG

It requires original Unreal OR UT to run (obviously) and is severely unfinished. What needs to be done:

- special low res textures are to be replaced with standard definition textures where possible. Where needed, SD versions of textures need to be done.
- general bugfixing needs to be done.
- cutscene maps need to be made (4-6).
- implant gun needs to be finished.
- level sections should be merged into single maps if this is possible and does not cause errors - but this needs to be done last.

People are needed to finish this as Leo alone will not manage to do it sooner than in a couple years - he just has too much on his head. Now as I know that some of you had their shares of tensions with Leo <besides, he is banned here>, so I will manage the project here and present him the results.
Last edited by Delacroix on 12 Dec 2010, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 10:24

Now, as some of you might know, I have my own vision of the remake, that would utilize RTNP's inventory items also and have a slightly different storyline, but I'd need only some changes made to cutscene maps in order to reflect it and the gameplay changes in maps... that I can do myself, mostly. Item placing is something I cope with ease. This is the general recruitment thread and results will fit both mine and Leo's visions.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 12:04

I'll gladly help in this if possible.
And yeah, that J'rath is not the same Jrath from the Beta. The name was apparently a coincidence.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 12:15

In my storyline (which will be added in the very end), it is the same JRath that just "digitalized" himself. Think: an ancient Skaarj God spiritual entity possessing a computer and converting itself into binary form. But in the original storyline Leo is faithful to, yes, the JRath name is coincidental.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 12:46

I guess you have to change a lot on the storyline, the ship where J'Rath is located has nothing to do with the Skaarj. More like, you can make the Skaarj believe he's a god but that is something that Nali would do otherwise.
Or you can use the Stargate way with the whole "fake gods" thing.

EDIT: Forget what I said now. Still, it would be weird for him to end up in a non-Skaarj ship.
ImageImage

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:19

Are you converting the PSX levels, or are you using them as a base to make your own mappack?

Some people added random junk to certain conversions of Return to Na Pali for U225, and the same thing happened in certain conversions of the original Unreal campaign for UT. Personally, I don't like the effect, unless a fix or workaround is absolutely necessary. As I understand it, Unreal PSX is extremely incomplete and thoroughly fucked up in places, as well as plenty of level flow hiccups (random jumps between themes and some levels that are from the PSX \maps\ folder but are not in the campaign roster). There's a lot of work to be done, I just hope you don't 'over-do' the project and make the maps lose their 'feel.'
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:23

Hey wait, what eactly is PSX? I get you are doing some update or conversion, but what was it originally? An unrelated game or mod that is being converted? An Unreal mod that was unfinished? I've never heard of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:25

It was the Unreal game developed exclusively for the Playstation, then cancelled.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 01:09

And, most levels are done, they only require debugging and several tweaks that were planned according to the design docs.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 02:21

Random OT question: Delacroix, Aren't you signed up to/the leader of about 50 different mapping projects? :P I swear i see you starting a new project thread like this every time I log in
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 08:36

Um, no, the only other project is Forgotten Classics Bonus Pack (with ShamuQuest) that due to inactivity of my fellow teammates and nervous breakdowns RoninMastaFX and I had, was shelved for the time being.

Void, also present here... IDK if it will turn map pack, or just a story/blog.

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 12:29

I want to see Void as a mappack, It'd be something interesting.
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 14:49

What is the plan behind this:

- first and foremost, fix up these maps. This needs to be done. The more data we receive, the less levels are missing. Currently, there is only one level out-of-place storywise, but if I won't be able to fit it where the creators wanted 'em, it'll be a standalone unlockable bonus level. Anyhow, here is the list of what we currently have at our hands:

E1L1 - Nali Village by Nathan Silvers - assigned to zacman
E1L2 - Into the Vortex by Eric Reuter - assigned to UBerserker
E1L3 - Duel with Iris by Nathan Silvers
E1L4 - Nali Village Revisited by Nathan Silvers
E1L5 - Power Facility by Eric Reuter
E1L6 - Nali Temple by John Anderson - heavily unfinished
E1L7 - Rites of Passage by Eric Reuter

E2L1 - Technical Complex by Jakub Kisiel
E2L2 - Stalactite Cathedral by Jeff Rubin
E2L3 - Pilgrim's Journey by Ilya Isaykin

E2L5 - Mousetrap by Ilya Isaykin
E2L6 - Secret Laboratory by Matthew Kagle
E2L7 - Inside JRath's Ship by Matthew Kagle

E2L9 - Crater Go by Nathan Silvers

E3L1 - Landing Pad by James Hamer-Morton
E3L2 - Tunnel Vision by Nathan Silvers
E3L3 - Barran Approach by Terry Greer
E3L4 - Mothership: Reactor by Ilya Isaykin
E3L5 - Mothership: Terminal by Ilya Isaykin
E3L6 - Mothership: Terrarium by Ilya Isaykin
E3L7 - Final Deathmatch by Jakub Kisiel
E3L8 - Final Control Deck by James Hamer-Morton

Now, the only unassigned so far level is Temple of Purification by Eric Reuter. And, as we can see, there are 4 gameplay maps still totally missing (E1L8, which is mentioned in the design docs as "Skaarj Fortress"; E2L4, which we only have one room of; E2L8 which has only a rough floorplan draft ready; E2L10 which is only mentioned in the design docs as Gravity Lift;) and one heavy WIP (E1L6). The rest is mostly done and needs to be debugged.

Also, there are purely DM levels available:

BypassStation by Jakub Kisiel
CampersParadise by Ilya Isaykin
E3L7 (another variant) by Jakub Kisiel
Level07 by Ilya Isaykin - assigned to TheIronKnuckle
E1L6 (another variant) by Eric Reuter

These will need to be fixed in a similar manner (retexturing, BSP work, inventory, bot pathing)... :P
Last edited by Delacroix on 14 Dec 2010, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 15:32

So will you be fixing the missing parts yourself or will you just wait/go on hiatus until you can find some way of getting them if nothing turns up?
ImageImage

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

Next