Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.3

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 09:24

I love your approach to SP mapping, Doublez. You don't announce massive projects and then disappear for four years. These 1-2 map campaigns you've been releasing are of excellent quality in many aspects, and have been coming out fairly regularly. Keep it up!
Current Project: Shiv and I are putting some finishing touches on WTFs2. Done soon :)
B.A. in mathematics, living out of my car in Canada right now. I don't want to talk about it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 10:20

Just got around to playing it/beating it and I'd like to echo the praise given to this release. Map layout was excellent and the in-game visuals do more justice than the screenshots I've seen from this so far. Overall I think the map has a mixed 'Doom' w/ 'Unreal' feeling to it that works really well for me.

Looking forward to more work from this author. Also, I'd be willing to offer terrain services if needed to help make a continuation to this level :o

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 14:29

Thx all...

Integration - thanks for the vid. Is that the latest version (1.3)? Because I'm simply unable to reproduce that, even if I run full bore right at the skaarj. I'd make my own vid, but well yeah I have no idea how lol.

And yeah, it's good to work out the bugs, but of course 95% of players aren't just going to go running into 2 waiting skaarj anyway ;) (at least not prior to reading this thread ldo)
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 17:21

Yes, it is the latest version (1.3). Perhaps my ut99 is corrupt or it is because of my lower frame rate. But can't you let the bars close/stay open a half second later/longer?

Doublez-Down wrote:but of course 95% of players aren't just going to go running into 2 waiting skaarj anyway
Normally, I wouldn't. I am very defensive. That is also a reason, why the enemies shouldn't run away too early, as some players won't even notice the scripted sequences.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 17:41

Yes, but there is also a balance to be had in that it has to work on the greatest number of computers. My machine is fairly average itself. Perhaps I'll work on it and just send you a copy/converse via PM until we get it right for your machine, then I'll see how it works on mine and compare. It's tough to enable them to stay open longer, because then the player may be able to beat them down.

I'm curious if anyone else is having the same issue.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 20:27

So I now used my graphic card and openGL, but still the same.
The Skaarj doesn't pass the bars in easy difficulty and sometimes not in medium difficulty.

edit: Sorry, didn't see your mail, will check it

edit2: I think you have to set the skill (under AI) of the disappearing Skaarjs to 3.
Last edited by integration on 11 Oct 2010, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 20:50

Ah, okay, I was finally able to reproduce it by switching to easy difficulty. I guess they run a tad slower on easy?

Try the new one I sent you, as it seems to be fine on easy. Let me know, and I'll release 1.4 with that change.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 21:19

Enemy speed depends on difficulty.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 21:33

Returned from almost 3 weeks absence and found some Gothic map version 1.1 yesterday which I downloaded and played just now.

I'm short on time so played much too fast and without caution and got killed by the first Skaarj with the ASMD, second time I managed to get a couple of rooms further (found the gold key) but again in my haste forgot to kill 2 Skaarj who were beating the hell out of me (BTW I played on Medium).
But: even though I'm getting clobbered, I don't think it's unfair - gameplay balance seems to be fine and Medium shouldn't present any problems the next time. I have a feeling Hard will be just right for me.
I like the visuals, layout not really complicated and yet not straightforward progress - nice balance there with good and surprising enemy placement.
Not much more that I can say except that this looks like a map made by an experienced Unreal fan. (which raises expectations for the next releases :o )
Summarising: :tup:

Doublez-Down

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 22:37

Okay, OP updated with final version. Thanks to Integration for being a nitpicking sonofabitch :) (j/k)

Yeah salsa, it can be a somewhat tough map depending on how you choose to complete it and depending on what items you are able to find and what order you find them in.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 23:19

Am I the only one having played it on medium (the later versions)? Now I know, why people didn't like Unreality Episode One. If they had started it on medium, they wouldn't have complained so much.

BTW comparing Skaarjs on medium and hard difficulty:
they do 33% more damage, they are much smarter and about 15% faster, they fire more projectiles with higher accuracy and with 10% more speed. And you do 10% less damage to them.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 23:36

integration wrote: Now I know, why people didn't like Unreality Episode One. If they had started it on medium, they wouldn't have complained so much.

Oh
haha
LOL

integration wrote:BTW comparing Skaarjs on medium and hard difficulty:
they do 33% more damage, they are much smarter and about 15% faster, they fire more projectiles with higher accuracy and with 10% more speed. And you do 10% less damage to them.

In Unreal difficulty the enemies use their own default properties to the fullest. In Easy/Medium/Hard their properties are lowered and their projectiles do less damage to you. The increase of their damage resistance is generally useless.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 23:55

integration wrote:Am I the only one having played it on medium (the later versions)? Now I know, why people didn't like Unreality Episode One. If they had started it on medium, they wouldn't have complained so much.

SP difficulty settings don't seem to have so much effect on bots as they always dodge etc a lot more than standard enemies. I played Unreality on medium for the review and it was still torture.
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 13:50

Doublez-Down wrote:Yeah salsa, it can be a somewhat tough map depending on how you choose to complete it and depending on what items you are able to find and what order you find them in.

I don't know how tough it is yet but from what I experienced Medium (and Easy subsequently also) is acceptable for the standard Unreal player. I just died because I was rushing and not taking care as I usually do. Like I said Hard will probably give me a really hard time but I expect to be able to beat it (after all I survived countless other really difficult maps).
I hope to try Hard on the latest version this week (looking forward to it) since next week will again be too filled up.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 13:58

integration wrote:...
Now I know, why people didn't like Unreality Episode One. If they had started it on medium, they wouldn't have complained so much.

I'ld say that those who can finish Unreality on Easy are extremely skilled players. I am not extremely skilled, far from it, but I can beat many campaigns on Unreal and yet I cannot see myself beating Unreality. Heck, Xidia is a walkover compared to Unreality.

Perhaps you are that extremely skilled player but the majority present here agrees on the total imbalance in Unreality so I guess that makes it an objective opinion :wink: .

Previous Next