Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 05:58

50 if I recall, as it's a fairly thick wall. I had it so a charged DP shot would do it but changed it...maybe overthought it. It is mentioned in the readme though that a DP shot may not work....of course who reads those things? :wink:
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 09:49

In Unreal, cracked walls can be easily broken away with on or two Dispersion Pistol shots. Set the damage treshold to 10, then it should be okay.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 12:12

Just a side comment: Dark Arena's stone wall that leads to the prison area has a damage threshold of 25. I'm pretty sure the thickness of the wall in Gothic is about the same.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 12:21

A fully charged DP bolt should take care of it then.
ImageImage

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 12:21

Well done! A great map with good monster placements. I liked the structure, espescially that you can see the FlakCannon, if you have missed it the first time.

Doublez-Down wrote:I've always liked the Shanechurch texture pack and thought it could make for an interesting SP map, so I gave it a go.

Oh yeah, the naked angels. I wonder, why there are not much more maps including them.

About issues: There are some glasses I would have expected to burst. You let the SkaarjWarriors run away and then dissappear them. But if you are fast enough, you can stop them from running away. This means you have to fight more Skaarjs :cry:. When I defeated the first SkaarjTroooper having an ASMD, it got crushed by a mover. Not very easy to complete the map not having this ASMD. The same room has a mover, which won't stay open, and the button don't make sounds.

About the wall: You do only damage to movers, when you directly hit them (no hurtradius damage). So ASMD combos usually won't do any damage to movers, except the Tazerprojectile touches that mover while performing the combo. You can't destroy the mover with flakcannon primary fire, because chunks do only 16 damage - not enough to damagetrigger the wall. You can destroy the wall with FlakShells and TazerProjectiles. But there are triggers in the wall which stop the FlakShell from hitting the wall - i don't understand this properly. The FlakShell can still destroy the wall, if you hit it at top or bottom. This seems to not affect the TazerProjectile, because its CollissionSize is not set to zero. Note that DispersionPistol AltFire does damage to the hit actor and afterwards does hurtradius damage. So when you do 60 damage to a pawn you only do 30 damage to the mover - not enough to damagetrigger this wall.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 14:36

Maybe because I built it, but I don't have any trouble with the breaking walls, as I just use the ASMD alt fire. Integration does bring up a good point though, in that if the ASMD goes flying somewhere after killing the SkarrjTrooper that's carrying it, it could then be tough to break down some of the walls. It's easily fixable, and it would take all of 5 minutes. Should I just fix that small issue real quick and release a V1.1 or something?

As far as the skaarj not running away if you shoot them, I was only able to repeat that once or twice, when trying to shoot them from the first door. Shouldn't be that hard to fix either, mainly just by making it a door you can't shoot through.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 14:54

Doublez-Down wrote:Maybe because I built it, but I don't have any trouble with the breaking walls, as I just use the ASMD alt fire. Integration does bring up a good point though, in that if the ASMD goes flying somewhere after killing the SkarrjTrooper that's carrying it, it could then be tough to break down some of the walls. It's easily fixable, and it would take all of 5 minutes. Should I just fix that small issue real quick and release a V1.1 or something?

I would recommend that you do so simply on the basis that you can actually get stuck without the ASMD (or the Flak for that matter) if you play a certain way or fail to grab certain weapons before entering a particular spot. The drop down spot with the planks over the pupae hole is very suggestive in its location.

Doublez-Down wrote:As far as the skaarj not running away if you shoot them, I was only able to repeat that once or twice, when trying to shoot them from the first door. I suppose if I set their sightradius to a tad higher, it'd probably fix that, as they're already set to bnofail.

There is a trick I use when doing this in the past. If I really want a Skaarj to run away and then vanish around a corner every time, with no chance the player should ever halt their flee, I alter their collision radius in such a way that they can't actually be harmed. Of course, if you do this then the Skaarj HAS to vanish, otherwise the player is stuck with an invulnerable Skaarj wandering the map.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 14:56

Okay, I believe I can fix those small things relatively easily. Is it best to just update the OP with the newer version, or just put it in the thread? Not sure what's best for compatibility and stuff.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 14:57

Doublez-Down wrote:Okay, I believe I can fix those small things relatively easily. Is it best to just update the OP with the newer version, or just put it in the thread? Not sure what's best for compatibility and stuff.

You should probably overwrite the original download, yes. I would. It IS a small download to begin with. I'll hold of reviewing until I get a chance to try the newest version and test it out.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 15:37

Okay, OP is now updated with a V1.1. Walls can now be broken with a charged DP (or a non-charged if you find the powerup). Also used Proph's trick for the skaarj running away (didn't think about some trying to fight them from that room ldo). Thanks again.

User avatar integration

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.1

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 20:35

I think this was mentioned before: After you defeat the SkaarjBerserker, you come to stairs where a Skaarj jumps down. This Skaarj has incredible high Air- and GroundSpeed. Perhaps you should do add AlarmPoints to ensure that he will jump down.

It is now bizarre that you can shoot through the Skaarjs, who run away. It is still possible that you can see the Skaarjs disappear - if you are fast enough. You should trigger them earlier.

I think there is a way that the Skaarjs don't have to disappear (unverified):
Make a subclass of AlarmPoint. When the pawn reaches it, the pawns enemy is set to none and the pawns alarmpoint is set to the nextalarmpoint. Perhaps you have also to change his state to None or to 'StartUp' . Now the Pawn should stop by the new AlarmPoint. When triggered again, they should run to the next AlarmPoint.

Doublez-Down

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.1

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 22:20

You must be running incredibly fast after them...and basically bumrushing two skaarjs at full speed, which is kinda unrealistic as well. Even doing that, I still can't see them disappear. As far as the other one, he's meant to jump high and run fast toward you, which is why he also has less health than usual. It gets kinda boring imo if skaarj always behave the same way.

EDIT - Okay, hopefully fixed that issue you're having with the skaarj disappearing, just made the sequence faster. I left the jumping skaarj the same though, as he's meant to be fast and jumpy. Personal preference I guess. OP updated. Thanks for being critical though - seriously, it's tough sometimes when I only get 1 or 2 playtesters at the most.

User avatar integration

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.2

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 23:17

OK, you got me. Now I can't see the two at the beginning disappearing. They have such a big head start, that they look like ants (IMO a little too big). But now the right one don't get through the closing door timely! Now you can switch back their collisionsize to normal (, if you haven't already done). And there is still an issue with the skaarj next to the lift. When you come from the lift you can pass him and cut off his way to flee. You have to add a trigger (player proxemity, trigger only once) to trigger him, so that he will notice you timely. Perhaps you should also add a trigger for coming from the other side.

BTW I used direct3d and didn't use my graphic card. So I have a low framerate. Perhaps this is the reason why the Skaarjs didn't react fast enough on my pc.

Doublez-Down

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.2

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 00:25

integration wrote:OK, you got me. Now I can't see the two at the beginning disappearing. They have such a big head start, that they look like ants (IMO a little too big). But now the right one don't get through the closing door timely! Now you can switch back their collisionsize to normal (, if you haven't already done). And there is still an issue with the skaarj next to the lift. When you come from the lift you can pass him and cut off his way to flee. You have to add a trigger (player proxemity, trigger only once) to trigger him, so that he will notice you timely. Perhaps you should also add a trigger for coming from the other side.

BTW I used direct3d and didn't use my graphic card. So I have a low framerate. Perhaps this is the reason why the Skaarjs didn't react fast enough on my pc.

1 - Collision already set back to normal. Shooting them now sends them on their way.
2 - Fixed Skaarj near the lift. He will now also run as the player steps on the lift (who would try to cut him off anyway, lol?)
3 - I was never able to reproduce the bug you're getting where the skaarj doesn't make it through the closing door (er...bars), tried like 10 times.

OP updated, hopefully for the last time (V1.3)....damn, now I know how Bill Gates feels. ;)

User avatar integration

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection V1.3

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010, 08:46

Doublez-Down wrote:damn, now I know how Bill Gates feels.
Oh yeah, when you try to eliminate a bug, a new one can occur. I should have never started mentioning it. Version 1.0 (except the damagetriggered walls) was OK.

I think you should have added the lift-runaway trigger on the first floor. Now I can't see the Skaarj running away.

Watch here, nearly every time I play it, the Skaarj cannot pass the bars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpizSNIssc

Previous Next