Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010, 21:18

There shouldn't be THAT big of a difference in any map (imo) between hard and unreal difficulties. The jumps in difficulty should be congruent and even, meaning medium shouldn't be WAY harder than easy, etc. But of course Unreal should be much harder than easy - which I think will be the case nearly always, just based on the changes in pawn behavior and damage dealt/taken.

Personal preference of course also comes into play, as some like killing sh*t more than others. In this map, I tried to make nearly every enemy encouter have a scripted event go with it, save for one or two. I just think it makes a much more immersive experience than just putting enemies everywhere and having to kill everything (ala return the heart).
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 23:08

Hmm, trying to run this (installed everything from the archive) and I get a missing ONPFootsteps package. I think its a .uax or a .u file; I don't have ONP downloaded or installed here. Can anyone upload this thing for me?

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010, 02:35

Here you go, the link was on the previous page.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9isorew6tyhdnoi
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 04:08

OK I finished playing this this evening and while most everything has pretty much been said, I really want to reiterate how utterly horrible hitscan Skaarj Troopers are, especially ASMD Troopers :p Just... no. Don't give Troopers hitscan weapons (except for Snipers since they miss like crazy).

I found the fights on Unreal difficulty a lot harder than Return the Heart (which seemed pretty reasonable for the most part) and think they could have used some extra ammo and health, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I think overall I DID like RTH a bit more than this one, though, but the build quality has certainly improved. Keep up the good work DD!

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 05:18

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I don't normally play on Unreal difficulty, so I probably didn't fully appreciate what a bitch that guy is on higher difficulties. I have been able to just sneak past him a couple of times though without even engaging him in a fight, but it's hit or miss.

Oh...and haha you saying something is hard. I just played through TLF again on easy, and I think I only died like 10 times this go around. :lol:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 05:39

Yeah, if I have a hard time, you know I am not kidding :p (To be fair, I die a lot in TLF too on Unreal difficulty. I just quickload often)

The main thing, though, is lack of equipment. You could send in an ASMD Trooper and four Skaarj Lords if you wanted, and I could take them all if you just gave me a superhealth, armor, and enough flak shells to do the job ;)

Oh, and don't underestimate the usefulness of the amplifier! That thing turns the ASMD primary into a near-instagib rifle against Skaarj Troopers.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 11:40

Waffnuffly wrote:..Oh, and don't underestimate the usefulness of the amplifier! That thing turns the ASMD primary into a near-instagib rifle against Skaarj Troopers.

hmm, the amplifier, I still haven't figured out when I should use it and with which weapons.

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 14:58

salsaSkaarj wrote:hmm, the amplifier, I still haven't figured out when I should use it and with which weapons.

Well it only works on the DP and the ASMD for starters, so there's a good couple of choices! And I usually will use it with the DP against titans and use it with the ASMD against tough bastard Skaarj. An amplified shock combo will almost always kill a full-health Skaarj in one blast; it's awesome.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 15:49

Waffnuffly wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:hmm, the amplifier, I still haven't figured out when I should use it and with which weapons.

Well it only works on the DP and the ASMD for starters, so there's a good couple of choices! And I usually will use it with the DP against titans and use it with the ASMD against tough bastard Skaarj. An amplified shock combo will almost always kill a full-health Skaarj in one blast; it's awesome.

Thanks, sounds damn useful \o/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011, 17:48

welp

Finally got around this, playing with the usual NEW setup (Unreal difficulty, 115% speed, and Limbo mutator with balanced enemy boosts). This is one of the coolest maps I've ever played, mostly due to the architecture, theme and use of those kickass pictures. Makes me think of an old PSX game called Akuji which had dark/semi-hell-gothic environments with loads of strange pics showing entities, angels, etc... Awesome.

The gameplay is balanced, maybe with the exception of the first ASMD Skaarj Gunner because enemies with ASMD/hitscan in SP = :B
Short though.
ImageImage

Previous