ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:27

Choosing the map in the Oldskool browser seems to crash the game. Starting the level with the console works though.

Edit: It's the map preview shot, as opening mylevel in the editor crashes it too.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:42

What's the command to set difficulty when loading a map?
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 23:02

?difficulty=#
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 23:06

Thanks, guess I can play through it fine like this.
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 00:19

Yeah it didn't seem like putting in a screenshot and all that stuff was that popular in SP maps, as I only seem to remember one or two that had them. The Last Fortress didn't have one if I recall correctly, and neither did most that I tried out (Hexephet for example). And it never seems to be mentioned in any reviews (as it is in DM/CTF/DOM reviews). If you think it's worth ANOTHER release to do it, then I'll go for it.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 00:25

TLF has it
Any map developed with the Unreal 1 editor doesn't have a screenshot, unless they are regrouped as an oldskool campaign.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 00:58

The problem at the moment is that the preview pic needs to be removed so it doesn't crash the game.
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:29

Yeah I needed to refresh my custom map list, that's why I didn't think most were doing it nowadays. I can see the others after refreshing the list.

Mman, there isn't a screenshot in the mylevel package, which is probably what's causing it to crash on you. It's a matter of a 5 minute fix to add one if you all think it's worth releasing another version for it or not. Ah f*ck it, I'll go ahead and do it - might as well do it right.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:32

If there isn't one it should just show up blank on the list without crashing the game. Whatever it is seems to be something wrong in the MyLevel set.
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:38

Hmm, strange. I uploaded another version with a screenshot now (new links in the OP). Check it out if you don't mind; just be sure to refresh your map list (which you probably already know to do). It works fine on my machine.

User avatar Semfry

Subject: Work in Progress - The WIP Thread

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:51

I just tried the new one and adding the shot seems to have fixed the crashing problem.

Edit: WTF wrong thread, but I guess it doesn't matter.

sana: Woohoo, topic-splitting mod tools!
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Subject: Re: Work in Progress - The WIP Thread

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:55

Yeah, thought it would. Thanks for pointing it out. It does make it more polished to have the screenshot in. I always did it in DM maps, so kinda pissed (at myself) I had to do another version for something I would normally have done anyway. Oh well, lesson learned.

Sana - you're right, scaled the stars up a bit and it looks much better.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 02:30

Played it. The level makes good use of the setting it takes place in (and that setting is pretty fresh by SP standards), and opens up in a nice way as you progress through it. The visuals are good with some nice lighting and those cool Gargoyle details among other things. The combat has some nice ambush gameplay and rewards exploration.

The only real issue I had is the Skaarj with the ASMD in the church interior; unless you've been elsewhere first (in which case you get ambushed by a Berserker instead) you seem to have to take it on with only an Automag, which seems a bit unfair on Unreal difficulty. I think this could be fixed easily by providing an ASMD just before that fight (maybe removing an ammo pack elsewhere for balance), so it's essentially the same but you have more equal equipment. There wasn't much to the story as it is, but there was something at least, I think a bit more focus on the location rather than the lost squad story-wise would have been nice though.

A good map and definitely an improvement on RTH through generally being more solid and feeling more planned out layout and structure-wise.
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 05:14

Glad you liked it, and yeah it was a bit tough to find a balance between the location and the actual "mission", something hard to do in a map this size.

As far as the skaarj with the ASMD, and I don't want to give too much away for those that haven't played it, there is a way to potentially get the flak cannon without him seeing you (or running into the berserker). Perhaps it's a bit too difficult, idk, but I was aiming at having the player have to use a bit of stealth and cunning on the higher difficulty levels. Assuming you got the armor first, use the flashlight or flare and look at the floor near it. Then do some sneaking. You'll have to fight your way out of the bit with the pupae, but the recess in there should help.

There is also a way to "cheat" a bit, as that guy can't shoot around the pillars or benches very well with the ASMD. But yeah if you try to just take him on in the open, it could get damn frustrating. I dunno, maybe it's not good balance, just trying to get the player to use other skills besides just shooting. If you're sneaky enough, you can get the key without even having to fight him at all (but then of course you don't get his weapon, ah the choices).

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 06:21

I agree with all the praise that's been posted here. I thought it was a well made and fun map. :tup:

Previous Next