Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection Final

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010, 04:06

Title: Gothic Resurrection

Image Image

Synopsis: A group of scientific and historical researchers are exploring various temples, churches and monasteries, in hopes of learning more about other cultures. This particular monastery was overrun by alien forces less than a week ago. After a frantic effort to get the researchers out, the small security detail's heroic forces were pinned down. We have received radio transmissions from them, but they have been infrequent, and many are believed to be already dead. Those that remain are outmanned, outgunned and greatly overmatched. It will be too long before reinforcemnts can arrive, and so you are the last hope for their survival. Your mission is to enter the monastery, eliminate as many alien forces as you can, and rescue any survivors.

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?2n0neefmgv7orn9
Fileplanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/216781/210000/fileinfo/Gothic-Resurrection-Final

V1.1 - Lowered exploding walls damage threshold to more "Unreal" standards.
V1.2 - Fixed being able to chase skaarj and watch him disappear bug.
V1.3 - Fixed bug that allowed player to run in front of skaarj near elevator and cut him off.
Final Version - Fixed bug where lower difficulty enabled bug fixed in V1.2 and 3 to still happen, added screenshot.

Enjoy...and sorry for all the versions. But better to get it right.
Last edited by Doublez-Down on 13 Oct 2010, 01:36, edited 12 times in total.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010, 14:21

As usual, this looks great! How many maps will there be?

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010, 16:04

Just the one for now, as it's just me, I don't have the time to do a huge project spanning a lot of maps. Not sure if I'll add more to it (probably will at some point).
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010, 19:33

Reminds me a lot of Return the Heart. :wink:

What planet is this set on?

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010, 23:23

Eh....it looks nothing like RTH imo.

As far as a planet goes, well it's tough - definitely not Na Pali obv. I suppose Earth sometime in the future is as good as anything. Unless there's some hokey way that a Gothic influence got to another planet.

Doublez-Down

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] SP-Gothic Resurrection

Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010, 17:14

Okay, it's done. OP updated.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010, 21:06

I played it and it was a really great experience: Coherent architecture, a very good use of sounds and scripted sequences and a nice ending. All in all I was very surprised of how your project has turned out! Very well done!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010, 22:28

Tx Dave, glad you liked it.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 00:01

Does it need ONP to play? I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but the readme did mention fireflies from ONP.

Looks awesome btw.

Edit: Looks like it does need some stuff from ONP. Oh well, it's about time I got around to installing it.

Edit 2: Just beat it. It had some really great architecture, and the lighting was fantastic. I was a bit disappointed that the player never really discovers that much about the temple's origins, but it was still a lot of fun to play through. There were a few scripted events that made me jump. Half the time I played I would go room by room and just...stare. I must have been looking at the sky for 3 minutes or so. :)

There were a few issues I noticed, though. The main thing is that in the room with the mirror/translucent cross on the ground, I fought one of the Skaarj and killed him; the other one attacked me for a bit, but then went back to walking around. Same with the Skaarj that runs away and leads you to the upper area. It was still a really nice little map.

After playing it, I feel awfully inadequate. :P
Last edited by Tarydax on 10 Oct 2010, 00:54, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 00:25

It does not require ONP. I played it on oldskool.

Short little map with some fun moments and very nice use of the ShaneChurch set. I'm especially fond of scripted enemy events and this map has a few, though I did notice an odd spot or two (when one Skaarj Warrior ran away from me, and when I followed him he was facing a wall on a balcony, as if he forgot he was being chased). The layout is smart and makes nice use of unlockable interconnection, often with the use of keys. I did find the bits with the destroyable walls a tad awkward, since it seemed as if only the ASMD could break them (and there's the one bit with the pupae that you can only exit if you're able to blow the wall open).

I could review it if you wish.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 01:38

Go for it Proph. And yeah, you're kinda meant to blow that wall up from the OTHER side...not sure how you even made it out of there lol.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 02:32

The atmosphere was really well done, and pretty creepy. The architecture is also really good!
I noticed similar issues that Mister_Prophet and Teridax had with the skaarj. The only other thing I noticed was that no information is given for one of the paintings (I think it was the one with the woman holding the candles).

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 04:06

Doublez-Down wrote:And yeah, you're kinda meant to blow that wall up from the OTHER side...not sure how you even made it out of there lol.

Luckily I had ASMD ammo on me when I fell in with the pupae. I think I had 2 shots left :) Surprisingly the flak alt didn't do the trick.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 05:37

I've had that issue before with the flak alt not breaking walls in other maps as well. Seems like it will break them like 60% of the time or something. The ASMD alt seems best for it, probably due to the splash damage, but i dunno. I checked it like 20 times though, and it's set up right. And yeah the skaarj that runs away sometimes acts funky, may have a small pathing issue or something.

That whole sequence took a sh*t load of timing.

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 05:41

What's the damage threshold on the weak walls btw? I usually handle such obstacles with a nice DP charge, but here it didn't seem to work.

Next