Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Insomnia Project

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Bombs
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Insomnia Project

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 09:39

Hail! \o/

Plot :shy:

It has been almost a decade since Bjor, best hunter in his hometown, died a mysterious death in the woods he called home.

The village elders saw a horrible omen in the circumstances of his death back then – and as recent news of a dwarven invasion in nearby provinces arrive, it seems that after all these years, their prophecies would finally come true..

Staff (in alphabetical order)

Bombs – Level Design, Screenplay; Level Design Texturing;
Chippy – Level Design;
Jamesaur – Concept Art, Source of Creativity;
Karnov – Coding, Music, Voice, Screenplay;
Mundas – Coding, Music, Screenplay;
Stinkie - Web Designer, Texture Artist
Unseen – 3D Modeling, Texturing;

Project Screens 8)
http://img245.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=helmetiq.jpg

•------------------------------------------------------•

This is a Rune Project, Rune is a third-person action computer game developed by Human Head Studios in Unreal Engine(Same developers of Prey) which was released in late 2000. A standalone expansion to the game, called Rune: Halls of Valhalla, was released in 2001. The weapons used in the game include swords, axes, maces, shields, and other medieval/fantasy melee weapons. Despite using an engine made for shooting, the interface lends itself well to a playing style consisting of running, jumping, climbing and hacking at opponents.

We seek members, please if you are interested send me a pm for contact!

Thanks for reading
If we don't end wars, wars will end us. - H.G Wells

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Insomnia Project

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 13:04

Nice team you've got there :o I wish you the best of luck. However, I'm not sure how many people play Rune on this forum. Also, 99% of everybody that can mod for UnrealEngine 1 is already in at least one team, so good luck with finding new members :P But good luck! Will be keeping an eye on your project.
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

User avatar Bombs

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 13:32

Thanks! :D Seens no one play Rune on this forum, what about a try huh?

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 14:49

i have rune, i think its great

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 16:49

I tried Rune a long time ago but I got stuck in a big cave with water after your ship sinks.. and I could never find a way out.. so, sorta gave up after that

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 18:21

I bought Rune, but I don't think I ever managed to finish it. I got frustrated with the combat system, particularly when it came to the zombies that you had to try and decapitate.
Life is what you make of it.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 20:02

I thought Rune was fun, however, there are several new engines (Anvil comes to mind) that are miles ahead of UE1 in terms of this type of combat. Unreal is still one of the best (imo) FPS games ever, because it implements that concept so well. I for one don't think it's the best engine for melee style combat though and thought it got quite clunky in places. I guess what I'm trying to say is I still think UE1 is good for FPS (with emphasis on "shooter) but not so much for melee.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Bombs

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 20:10

Anvil Engine? what game were made on it?

The best melee system i ever saw was on, Rune and Knights of the temple 1, but well, its about taste i guess

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010, 23:49

Frieza wrote:I tried Rune a long time ago but I got stuck in a big cave with water after your ship sinks.. and I could never find a way out.. so, sorta gave up after that

I guess you had to dive, there was an underwater passage somewhere there.

Rune had one of the best melee combat system at that time! I spent hours playing it on multiplayer, tried to make own mod but never managed to do anything worthwhile.

Anyways, Human Head studios improved Unreal's engine a lot. Skeletal animations were a lot better and had a well implemented animation morphing system.

And, decapitating zombies was fun xD Jump and hit, head flies away! Best thing in multiplayer was chopping of your enemy's arm, picking it up and finishing him with that bloody limb... God I had a lot of fun playing this. XD

Edit:

Damn, tomorrow mornin' I'm reinstalling that game! Ha!!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 02:11

Once upon a time I had a choice between buying Undying and buying Rune. Suffice it to say, I'm happy that I chose Undying, since that was a game I can't say enough good things about. Never got around to Rune though. Still, I can remember the game trailer. Gave me a viking impression, and vikings are always awesome.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 07:45

And that is why Rune never had a sequel. And that's a pity cos, I'm tellin' you all guys, this game had potential but never been really appreciated by gamers.

User avatar Bombs

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 12:53

There's a petition for Rune 2 please if you like Rune, also, HumanHead made some concept arts for Rune 2, but they afraid to make Rune 2 and don't find a publisher, that's what ive heard, so here it is:

Rune 2 Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/rune2/petition.html

Rune 2 Concept arts

http://img840.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=hhminotaur.jpg

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 19:58

Bombs wrote:Anvil Engine? what game were made on it?

The best melee system i ever saw was on, Rune and Knights of the temple 1, but well, its about taste i guess

The Anvil Engine is the formerly known as Scimitar engine, used in Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 and some others. I will agree that for its time, Rune had a great melee system, but imo it has been far surpassed since then (more so than Unreal has in terms of FPS playability). Rune is still a cool game though, and heck it looks a lot like Unreal, so it can never be bad.

Edit - and to be fair, I'm honestly not sure how much of the Anvil engine is given credit for the combat, which may actually be due to other aspects - like the physics, collision, etc - which may or may not be credited to the actual game engine (someone help me out here).
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 21:38

Assassin's Creed has totally different type of combat then Rune. Just like Fable, based on combos. But Fable's is another story as it is not a target based. Anyways, Rune's combat was simple. You just were swinging your blade, it did hit or it did not. And that's the best system that can be made, IMHO.

There are rumors concerning Rune 2 on consoles as exclusive, but I don't believe those...

And, as for the mod, I would like to see armor pickups, a bit of RPG style XD But that's me only.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 23:25

Personal preference I guess, but I loved AC2's combat - never actually played the first one so dunno if it's different.

Next