A random sentence for a random mind.

Project Xenome : First Day

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2010, 00:20

Just one more question (no rush): Which renderer did you use when adding and testing lighting?

reason I'm asking this: software rendering = severe framerate loss & lighting is ok, D3D = moderate framerate loss and good brightness, OpenGL = no framerate loss but very dark

I started with D3D and had the same problem so I D/L D3D9 and put it in the system folder. Opened the editor went to view/advanced options clicked on rendering/Direct3D9support and checked detail textures and coronas to true.
Started the game and changed the video driver to D3D9 and it ran spot on.

Just how different was the original version of this pack?

Good question .... Theres a map synopsis in the readme but i would say the original maps that are present have been expanded upon by a good 50% ish of new content, some by alot more. Two of the maps are new builds. Some original levels are no longer present and are history, basically i took the levels apart and remade them to fit the circumstance.
The only one truly the same is the intro.

User avatar gp

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2010, 01:14

gp wrote:For some reason it crashes on me every time I enter the main Administration room on map ONP-map01FirstDayX.unr.

Still, the part I was able to play was really well done. :)

I found the cause of the crash which turned out to be unrelated to Xenome and finished the pack. I thought it was very well done and I look forward to part 2.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2010, 15:31

Ok.. so where is the review and when will it be added to MOTW? :P

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2010, 15:57

You're free to write one. :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010, 00:07

Oh no! :lol: There are levels in the original which aren't coming back? I will have to download and play then! I like to see everything this community has to offer
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar armymen
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 08:28

hey jazzy have u ever considerd doing the project xenome from the marine's point of view
WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 12:16

now that would be REALLY half life. :P opposing force anyone?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 16:08

Hmmm… Haven’t played Opposing Force in maybe seven or eight years, cant remember much about it to be fair. I don’t know if the player can be changed (skin wise), for instance during a ‘view spot’ sequence where the player is in the scene.
I think because of the ONP game type you’re stuck with that particular player skin, I maybe wrong though, never really gave it much thought as to what the player looks like.

The character you play ‘John Doe’ has a real name in the pack and will be revealed in the next two episodes as to why he is really there in the first place. It was no accident!
So the marines are there to provide a bit of a backdrop to an ongoing story so to speak and won’t really factor into it much because their AI is pretty poor.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 17:12

armymen wrote:hey jazzy have u ever considerd doing the project xenome from the marine's point of view

welcome to the forums! :tup:
(another ohioan! ) :P

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 17:51

Finally finished it (on Medium) and I'm impressed with the concept.

First of all - on Medium it becomes quite difficult at times, I have a feeling it will be a level too high for me on Unreal.

Instead of naming all the good things, I'll just mention a couple of downsides.

1. much too dark, but that could be my system. I'll have to try that D3D9 next time.
2. There is a map where one has to flood a room so that in the adjacent room (also flooded now) a high corridor can be reached. While swimming/diving to that adjacent room one canl be instakilled. From some angles a line can be seen in the water - touch it and be killed, but it is possible to swim under it. I have a save in the beginning of every level so I can probably find the exact place relatively fast and give better directions, if necessary.
3. although the interiors are really convincing, pipes, staircases, pure metal, machinery, so much crampedness is really tiring and I was looking forward to some open space (could also be cuased by the darkness) - hopefully the next two episodes won't all be inside stuff.
4. the last battle is (personal opinion) way too hard on Medium even though there is ample warning to act fast. The first time one enters that area it is almost impossible to know which direction to go to first and by the time the extra weapon is set up I had only one marine left and there were more than 10 Skaarj wreaking havoc.

But I have to end on a high note - this pack has some of the best tricky pathways to get from one location to another (what I mean is the jumping around on pipes, hidden corridors, joyriding cable cars), and what extra nice is that most pathways can be found by using logical thinking.

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 20:04

Thx for the feedback salsaSkaarj.

If you need D3D9 try the link and follow my previous post on page 4 of this thread. It should work a dream.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c001 ... 5564f74470

There's a mention in the readme about the instakill problem on the level 'Sour Water'. After moving geometry around and ump-teen rebuilds it still persisted.
The next pack is far more open as you will venture out on the surface now that you've left the machinery spaces behind. Each pack will have its own distinctive feel but carry on the same story.

The last battle is hard even when you know where to go, however there's only four Skaarj at a time even though it would seem like ten !!!!
I made it so the Skaarj would be busy with the marines at first until you got your bearings, even though the buildings are well signed it still is a bit of a hard scrap.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 21:27

jazz wrote:The last battle is hard even when you know where to go, however there's only four Skaarj at a time even though it would seem like ten !!!!
I made it so the Skaarj would be busy with the marines at first until you got your bearings, even though the buildings are well signed it still is a bit of a hard scrap.

OK, I have to apologise here about the 10 Skaarj (at least 10 hmmm). I have a tendency to take an impression as reality an build on that. Still I couldn't believe there can only be 4 at the same time, you must have missed those 6 others.
So I tested, in god mode, and took screenshots, and counted 4, killed 1 and 1 new one appeared, killed two and 2 new ones appear. In fact I killed all of them and at least a hundred appeared :wink: but I could only count 4.
So, I have to try and remember 1,2,3 and 4 (not at least 10) :shock:

Anyway, after reading the incoming message, I now also take back my other previous statement. It is perfectly clear which building one should venture to first. So I tried again, no god mode, and ended up with 3 live marines (on Medium).

And yes, the readme does mention the instakill situation in "Sour Water". Well, all I can say is that I have a tendency to start playing and read later.

I will try the D3D9 (hopefully tomorrow) and give feedback.

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 22:25

And yes, the readme does mention the instakill situation in "Sour Water". Well, all I can say is that I have a tendency to start playing and read later.

Your not alone. I do this all the time with every mod. :lol:

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 23:26

I actually always read the .txt file before playing an SP map. I do this, because I know many of them come with stories and background information. However, with almost everything else, I usually completely disregard the readme. :P
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 23:27

jazz wrote:

Your not alone. I do this all the time with every mod. :lol:

:lol: :tup: Ditto here..

Previous Next