Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[RELEASED] [ut] Unreal Grief Chapter 2

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

What should my next project be?

Unreal Grief Chapter 3
10%
In the Air
70%
Something New?! :D
20%

Total votes: 10

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 16:15

LS222, I'd say that you're progressing very nicely. You seem to be churning out a good lot of content, which is admirable, as well as beneficial to yourself, for the community doesn't have to wait a couple of years in order to give you pointers on how to improve your skills for next year's maps.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 18:17

Waffnuffly wrote:Can we give it a rest please?

The irony being that you are the one smiting the zombie mare, considering you were the person to latch onto Shivaxi's tiniest glimpse of an implication of Unreal 1 preference, and then proceed to ramble on about how them whiny U1 enthusiasts keep derailing everything! :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 18:27

sana wrote:The irony being that you are the one smiting the zombie mare, considering you were the person to latch onto Shivaxi's tiniest glimpse of an implication of Unreal 1 preference, and then proceed to ramble on about how them whiny U1 enthusiasts keep derailing everything! :P

Tiniest glimpse? Shivaxi et al. make these kinds of comments like "boo it's UT only" or whatever VERY FREQUENTLY. I mean, Shivaxi is cool and all, but seriously guys, it's enough. It doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Advocating that the constant griping stop is totally not the same as making the gripes in the first place, sana. Please tell me you aren't really so dense that you can't distinguish them. You aren't, are you? No, you aren't. So stop acting like you are, ok?

Anyway, I've made my request. I'm not going to keep harping on about it, because then it WOULD be ironic. But please people, enough with this stupid fucking useless debate. That includes passive-aggressive whining and implication.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 18:41

Being dense or not aside, I find it silly that the discussion erupted to begin with, and I still do believe that your input is partially to blame, however this is just a petty annoyance that should be put aside. ;)

To get back on track, I think it's worth noting a couple of things about the screenshots. LS222, it looks like you're gradually improving, but you might to change your mapping a bit in order to make architecture look more convincing! On the first screenshot, I do not understand the purpose of the lamps. I think these are supposed to fit Nali house interiors, but I'm not sure what they accomplish in a cave next to a corpse. Perhaps you could make it flares or torches instead, to make it look like the lighting was hastily put together? The 2nd screenshot contains English writing on an alien Nali sign, which does not make a lot of sense. I appreciate the effort behind making the sign, though! Last, in the 3rd screenshot the house wall seems way too thin. It's like it's made of paper! You might want to fix that.

Other than that, solid work! Keep it up. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 19:15

Made some tweaks to the post layout to save space.

Pics are another great step forwards. I would echo Sana's point though about making sure that common sense is incorporated into your designs. The thin walls suggest that you may also still be using too small a grid.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 19:31

sana wrote:On the first screenshot, I do not understand the purpose of the lamps. I think these are supposed to fit Nali house interiors, but I'm not sure what they accomplish in a cave next to a corpse.

Those are lamps the Nali brought with them to see where they were going.

sana wrote:The 2nd screenshot contains English writing on an alien Nali sign, which does not make a lot of sense.

I did think about that when I was making it, but the humans helped to built it.

sana wrote:I appreciate the effort behind making the sign, though! Last, in the 3rd screenshot the house wall seems way too thin. It's like it's made of paper! You might want to fix that.

Flimsy plasterboard. :P

Oh, and grid size 4 was used when making those walls.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 19:36

Seriously, there's seldom any merit in going below a 16uu grid for structural stuff! Fine detail only.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009, 00:13

Wow, I didn't mean to start a whole flame war. And Waffnuffly, I don't ever just out right "boo it's UT only"...infact I don't even remember the last time I did that.

I'm not saying UT is bad or anything...it's just my personal preference that I'd rather play it in Unreal then UT...that's all.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009, 17:16

I've started on map 2, a Nali Infirmary.

And added the logo pic on the first post.

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 04:35

looks good :tup: where can i find Grief chapter 1?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 21:57

Check the reviews page.

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:58

Sorry for the long lack of everything with this project. Here is a taster of a new area.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 15:43

I think I'll be the only one to like that kind of red colouration. It's probably not that good, but unique, in the terms of "I want to see it in my UT game for a time". The skybox should be a bit less visible (in this case, smaller mountains). Terrain is overall okay.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 16:27

You're really improving fast, LS! Keep it up. In a couple months you're bound to have mastered a lot of the most fundamental concepts of level design, and from there, you can build on the advanced ones.

Now, this skybox: as UB mentioned, the color is really monochromatic: you can change that by lowering light radii in the skybox and adding more with different colors; usually complementary colors work well together. You can google for complementary colors lists to get suggestions.

Also, I can see the cloud sheet is lower than the tip of the Sunspire. If your goal is to make it look cloudy and have part of the spire obscured, there's a better way to do it. If not, raise the sheet up so it doesn't clip it.

If you want to have clouds obscuring the skybox, find some good cloud sprite textures (like what Shivaxi used in his volcano screenshots recently) and place several of them around the spire. Since this is in the skybox, you'll want to make sure their drawscale is really low so they don't take up half the sky. Vary which textures you use so it doesn't all look the same, and you'll be on your way to making some nice sky.

You could also enable fog in the SkyZoneInfo, in the LevelProperties, and in your maps' ZoneInfos and place some very very subtle fog around the spire (very low fog brightness, and give it a bluish-green light color with a fairly high saturation and low brightness). Play around with it. Alternately, you can have a big fog light in the skybox that takes up the whole area to produce some nice haze effects. What you have to be careful about if you do this though is to ensure that you have some color-matched fog in your map itself anywhere the skybox is visible, probably throughout all the terrain areas, and with a very low brightness so it isn't thick. This will help blend the transition from map to skybox better.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to post editor shots.

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:37

Now I remember why you need to make 1001 level backups...

Right, I managed to salvage the main level but the skybox was broken, although I was about to remake that bit anyway.

I made the cliffs less visible and removed them from the clouds, and replaced that awful Nali-Valentine red-purple sky with a yellow-green-blue one. I also decreased slightly how the light effects the area and makes it look like a disco.

Previous Next