Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[RELEASED] [ut] Unreal Grief Chapter 2

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

What should my next project be?

Unreal Grief Chapter 3
10%
In the Air
70%
Something New?! :D
20%

Total votes: 10

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 19:06

Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010, 17:36

Sky looks much better. Some of those rocks are very noticeably just four sided cones though. Tessellated cubes look much more realistic.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [ut] Unreal Grief Chapter 2

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010, 19:08

Something a little different from the shots you've seen of this so far.
The geometry is simple, but this area is going more for atmosphere right now.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010, 22:29

great atmosphere! Keep up the good work! :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010, 01:48

I really like the lighting in that pic
Image Image

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010, 21:27

Legendslayer222 wrote:The geometry is simple, but this area is going more for atmosphere right now.

Atmosphere? The creeps, that's what it gives me! I can see the invisible Berserker with his back turned right in front of the player. Advance silently ....

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010, 02:48

Sky still looks a tad too close to the mountains to me, but nothing too bad and as long as the mountains are tall enough, it might be fine.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010, 13:01

I'm wondering how to connect UGrief 1 & 2 together. As it stands, UGrief2 has a main plot unrelated to Ugrief1, and is just what Burnard done after he left the mountain. I'm also mentioning people from the first one as well. But is it worth trying to take the plot further, like trying to explain about the mountain or the Interragator or something?

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010, 18:55

Toby, I'd go for the Interrogator. Such a conscience for Skaarj is unusual... perhaps even resurrect the fella?
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010, 19:38

Legendslayer222 wrote:I'm wondering how to connect UGrief 1 & 2 together. As it stands, UGrief2 has a main plot unrelated to Ugrief1, and is just what Burnard done after he left the mountain. I'm also mentioning people from the first one as well. But is it worth trying to take the plot further, like trying to explain about the mountain or the Interragator or something?

It isn't always important to be so literal about exploring everything you've established. Seven Bullets is separated by Xidia between 12 years, and the only real links are some side comments in logs and some vague spots in dialogue that could really mean anything. A lot of times people fall into the trap of having to forge a link to a predecessor story, sometimes to a fault. Movies and Books make this mistake often (the former seems to make a sport of it), and we've all played games that were never very memorable because they didn't know how to leave the first game behind and move beyond. Of course, for every one of those there is an Unreal 2 out there, but even in those cases I think it's more honorable to still try. Even if it doesn't work, it's always more rewarding to at least attempt something fresh.

This is what you should ask yourself; Does explaining things from the first game make the next installment as interesting? Are they necessary, depending on where the protagonist is now? Are these interesting topics to cover, and are they really in need of explanation...and if so, can I do it in a way that is cool?

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010, 20:35

Very good points. That clears things up a bit: there is no real need to continue the vague and strange plot of UGrief1. There are some things I might explain later, but I'll be careful not to bog things down. Thanks. :tup:

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010, 00:05

Hey, tomorrow, the 17th of October 2010, is going to mark 1 year of development for this project! I have it written down in a Notepad file that the start date was the 17th October 2009. Scary how time flies!

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010, 18:37

Some new stuff from UGrief2. Some work still has to be done in these areas I expect.
Image Image

FEEDBACK PLEASE :B

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010, 23:35

Both pics look really atmospheric. :tup:

For the first shot, I'd suggest adding something to the upper wall to give it a bit more detail. Maybe you could add some kind of trim to it.

I really like the skybox in the second one, although I think something could be done about contrast. I'm probably the last person you should listen to when it comes to outdoor lighting, though. :P

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010, 23:46

There's really not alot I can say from the pics since one is of mostly crates and the other Krall. In other words they don't show off that much, you should post larger pics that show off more area.

Previous Next