This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[V1.2 RELEASED] The Vale: Evelyn [UT & 227J]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Buggie
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] The Vale: Evelyn [UT]

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021, 15:43

Will be good if you remove any actor duplicates by names.
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=127218#p127218

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021, 18:30

Yes these have been replaced & corrected. I had an issue a few builds back which caused duplicate items but these seemed to have slipped through the net.

Buggie
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 05:31

Skaarj + AlarmTag + Teleport + Mountain - very strange way achieve goal.
Also I see there 3 Skaarj, but in game appear only two, Third stuck at mountain. Possible better place skaarj in closed room, at floor teleporter, And skaarj stay on mover which disappear and lead skaarj to teleportation.

Also if teleport blocked on other side, skaarj not able to teleport and stay on mountain. So better place 3 different teleport. Or place destination teleport above ground for avoid block it.

Another thing - nali in village do not cooperate and not open basement.
Nali on kitchen - open stash with ripper.

This things checked on SP, not MH.

Final boss visible from left side of cave entrance so you can shoot it before trap closed. It run to you. All other is easy.

User avatar fashahhh

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 13:06

Hi Buggie,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Buggie wrote:Skaarj + AlarmTag + Teleport + Mountain - very strange way achieve goal.
Also I see there 3 Skaarj, but in game appear only two, Third stuck at mountain. Possible better place skaarj in closed room, at floor teleporter, And skaarj stay on mover which disappear and lead skaarj to teleportation.

This is strange as the correct amount of Skaarj seem to teleport in for me. They should spawn in as follows:
1=Easy, 2=Medium & Hard, 3=Unreal.

They were originally in their own closed room however I was literally removing a brush at a time to get below the node limit (my stubbornness of having this as a single map).

Buggie wrote:Also if teleport blocked on other side, skaarj not able to teleport and stay on mountain. So better place 3 different teleport. Or place destination teleport above ground for avoid block it.

Ok I will raise the spawn point. It may look a little odd for those in co-op but at least stops any potential issues.

Buggie wrote:Another thing - nali in village do not cooperate and not open basement.
Nali on kitchen - open stash with ripper.

Yes it seems to be random why this happens but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Most of the time he does trigger but in some instances he doesn't. This also seems to be the case for the cook, if the first Nali didn't trigger then the second won't either.

Buggie wrote:Final boss visible from left side of cave entrance so you can shoot it before trap closed. It run to you. All other is easy.

This may depend on the difficulty as they are in slightly different positions due to filtering. I will alter his location and place a blockall in front just in case. I can attach the blockall to the forcefield so that it will disappear out of the area once the trap is sprung. Or just have him teleport in.

Buggie
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 18:13

If you want proper solution for Skaarj - You need use factory. Make custom subclass of Skaarj with changed default properties and spawn it by factory.

Current solution is random because skkarj run to alarm tag, after that they start wandering, and can out from teleport range. So when it enabled they still in mountains.

If you prefer this solution you need many MonsterBlock around and increase teleport radius for collision.

Nali in village just simple stay and do nothing. But Nali cook work as expected.
On MH version one time nali in village open basement so it is really random.

About node limit:
You can seriously reduce Node limits of build map with custom settings.
TheFifthVortex map can not even saved with default options of build. Near 75 000 Nodes.
I use 1/60 setup.
1 - for Balance Tree
60 - for Portal slider.

Another trick of build process is launch bsp optimization few times.
You disable Geometry check box, lighting, Define Paths, And leave only BSP section. And press Build button.
This allow you reduce Node count and fit to limits.

I use second step few times until counters of Nodes not stop decreasing.

But this trick need control for result for not produce BSP holes and another errors.

And, finally, I strictly suggested use latest 469 UnrealEd if you build map for UT. Because 436 UnrealEd can not produce good result on such big maps.

Buggie
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021, 06:04

Also exists duplicate actors which not duplicate by names. If you look on picture above you notice bold WoodenBox. It is not bold. it is two WoodenBox: WoodenBox6 and WoodenBox12. Located too close.
On server this prevent drop SCUBA gear from on of it when you break it.

CreatureFactories share same tag:
MoreFlieees: CreatureFactory0 and CreatureFactory4
FishTrap1: CreatureFactory1 and CreatureFactory10
GasBags1: CreatureFactory2 and CreatureFactory5
MoreDevilFishArgh: CreatureFactory3 and CreatureFactory7
FlyTrap: CreatureFactory9, CreatureFactory14 and CreatureFactory15

Buggie
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021, 13:52

Info from Barbie:
If bStatic or bNoDelete of an Actor is changed from TRUE to FALSE in editor, in network games these properties cannot be changed in clients and remain with default values. And this cannot be fixed easily by patching the map while it is loaded.
The default action is to subclass the Actor and set its default properties accordingly.
Hint1: Don't forget to compile the code of the new Actor even if there is NO line of additional code.
Hint2: I could do this part of work.

User avatar fashahhh

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021, 23:39

Hi Buggie. I appreciate all the advise, I have taken onboard what I can however without being co-op savvy I'm afraid the co-op experience may be a bit rough around the edges. I'm currently in the middle of playtesting the 1.1 version. As I previously mentioned, making fixes to the single player is my primary goal whilst also giving better support to co-op players.

Once this is released I'll let yourselves decide if you wish to make any further amendments to improve the co-op experience however the 1.1 version will be the final version from me, that's why it's taking a bit longer than anticipated.

User avatar fashahhh

Subject: [V1.1 RELEASED] The Vale: Evelyn [UT]

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021, 21:54

Check the first page everyone. V1.1 is now released!

https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4549

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [V1.1 RELEASED] The Vale: Evelyn [UT]

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021, 22:55

Downloaded! I just tested it to see if all is good - no problems whatsoever to report, and in fact my jaw dropped just with that intro despite expecting something great! Looking forward to playing your wonderful creation this week-end, thank you for making this!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021, 19:24

Finally managed to play v1.1.
I actually beat the game hands down and felt that this release was a bit weak ... until I checked my halfway savegame and noticed that I was playing on Medium.
So some time later restarted on Hard and yes, that's the proper difficulty setting.
Actually most of the game is still relatively hard, but the end area with Boss seemed easier than before, even with the Boss being able to follow the player on the ledge. The vermin down below is easily taken care of and it doesn't require expert skill to keep the Boss at bay with flak, rockets even the ASMD.

If things go as planned, August will provide enough free time to replay this on Unreal difficulty.

NemesisNeS
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022, 18:44

Link unavailable :( would love to check this out whenever it becomes available again.

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022, 19:25

e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

NemesisNeS
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022, 19:49

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022, 06:56

Man I should have played this way earlier. It's such an incredible map from beginning to end. Easily up there in the best maps ever made :D
Didn't have much trouble in Unreal diff except for the dang flies ganging up on me on that cliff and that one brute at the tower.
Shame we didn't get the chance to play it in a comfy snow setting. Still pretty.
M'nali

Previous Next