A random sentence for a random mind.

[UT] <EXU2> "G59" (OLD THREAD)

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: <EXU2> "G59"

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 23:23

I see a lot of Doom 3 spawn texture abuse in UE1 these days :/

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 23:37

BuddhaMaster wrote:I see a lot of Doom 3 spawn texture abuse in UE1 these days :/

EXU2 originally was built using some Doom 3 textures for certain visual effects, but they have since been remade from scratch and are higher-res and look a bit different.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 00:00

UBerserker wrote:I'm up at developing the Map 9 conversion which is pretty cool.

I was just looking at this recently and wondering how things were going. However, I don't continuosly poke the thread with "how long?" questions like what happens in most project threads. :P

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 00:56

Waffnuffly wrote:
BuddhaMaster wrote:I see a lot of Doom 3 spawn texture abuse in UE1 these days :/

EXU2 originally was built using some Doom 3 textures for certain visual effects, but they have since been remade from scratch and are higher-res and look a bit different.

Still looks extremely Doom3 ;) are you by any way incorporated into this tradition?

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 07:46

BuddhaMaster wrote:Still looks extremely Doom3 ;) are you by any way incorporated into this tradition?

I and UArchitect develop EXU2, which is set in Hell, so yes, it looks vaguely like Doom 3, but with a quite different design, aesthetic, background, etc.

THIS project thread is for UBerserker's unofficial fan project. The official EXU2 thread is also in this forum!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 10:05

Leave the Doom3 shit out of here I don't know what it is and I don't want to hear it

thanks.
ImageImage

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 19:50

so i was hoping to come in here and talk about doom3 but i see its fulla haters bro, going to the exu2 thread >:|

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 20:37

you can discuss about games that have dicktits or kamikaze runners or necromorphs or midwives or whatever yo

stuff like Doom and guys with sunglasses who think are still cool themselves after 14 years of sleeping are out of here
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011, 03:26

I'm tempted to change my avatar to the Duke just to troll UB :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011, 09:53

The Duke I loved died after his awesome 2D games. Although Time to Kill was pretty cool too.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:26

Main post has been largely updated.

Unfortunately there's some big problem described in the last paragraph, and I need some serious opinions on this. I don't want to scratch this all over for something that can be... well, bypassed, but still, an existing annoyance.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:56

UBerserker wrote:This happened in the EXU2's original campaign as well, but not very often. Here, it can be random, but there's possibility that the error may disappear at a certain point.

Luckily I found a way to bypass the bug; as you begin the map, save immediately the game in two slots (preferabily, even three if you want). Then, load one of saves AND SAVE your game again in the slots.
In this way, no more scoreboard issues, and no more save corruption issues. YOU HAVE TO DO IT IN EVERY MAP THOUGH - this is important. Obviously I'll add all of this in the readme but first I want to ask you something

1)Do I have to try fixing this bug even if there's no way to actually do it? (seriously)
2)I'll leave the bug and write obviously how to bypass it in the readme, etc... It's not like a catastrophe anyway, you just have to remember to do the little save process at the beginning of every level. That's it.
3)I'll cancel G59, simple as that.

So, what to do?

Hey, does that trick work with the normal EXU2 maps? I got save corruptions pretty frequently (probably my old computer).

About the solution... I would be fine with having to do a small something like that at the start of each map, it is hardly strenuous. If it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed. The problem doesn't get in the way of gameplay, unless you forget to be careful (I always am but I'm not sure about the average EXU player).

And you are not allowed to cancel G59. Option 3 is not applicable! :o (Well, I can hardly stop you... But I can find you :wink: )

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:57

That trick works for everything, yeah.
ImageImage

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 21:31

I'm with LS on this. If that bug can't be fixed, you shouldn't really worry about it that much, and maybe you could find a solution later on. Sure, it could be kind of annoying, but it wouldn't be game totally breaking or anything. Having to save every time a new map is loaded would be worth it to play this, I think. Besides, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you canceled it, after working on it for so long. I know I could definitely live with having to save in every map. I would suggest putting the solution in a separate text document and having the name be in all caps so that it catches people's attention. I for one am guilty of skipping readmes unless they're in all caps. :oops:

Or you could just stick it in the readme, no big deal.

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011, 00:02

Just a heads-up: we're implementing a save-corruption-reduction system in the final where each save you make gets made to a new slot each time, and you configure how many slots get used per save. So basically it's like automatic backup and you can specify how redundant you want it to be (by default, probably will make each save have three or four backup slots).

Anyway this is all far-away stuff so don't consider it set in stone, it could break or not pan out etc, but this is the goal.

Previous Next