Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[UT] <EXU2> "G59" (OLD THREAD)

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [UT] <EXU2> "G59 - Phase 1" - RELEASED! (Version 1.5F)

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012, 14:33

I'm really not sure why Map 4 crashes on the EXU2 server. I believe it's something related to decals and carcasses? When I play it in SP I do killall decal because I always forgot to turn permanent decals off. Otherwise it eventually crashes in a similar way.
(I think Waffnuffly has permament decals/carcasses turned off, they disappear after a while in the EXU2 DasaCellars YT video)

No idea with the other bug. Only Map 2 uses a .umx file and that is Found99 taken directly from the RTNP music folder.
It never happened to me online. In both SP and MP, only Map 4 crashes for the aforementioned reason. It's not even that demanding compared to the biggest BI maps unless the engine is not able to read shittons of blood decals in a large area.

Some maps of BI (Gauntlet, DoomArena, Highlands for example) also suddenly crash online - not very often though. It's a different type of crash which is caused by uhm, several pawns in action? No idea.

I'm not going online nowadays since I'm busy working on the other levels. In the EXU2 Server, Map 1 and 3 always worked perfectly, however I don't remember having played VOIDNESS on it (several times in the AkCoop one instead).

How much common is the Galaxy bug? Then I don't know where to begin for a fix for any of these problems.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012, 19:09

Okay, went into VOIDNESS and it suddenly crashed for the Galaxy thing. Only one time though, however it affects everyone. Managed to complete the map fine afterwards (which is tough as fuck online unlike in SP). Looks like Found99.umx has to go, the beginning "mockery" of Map 2 has been fun for a while.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012, 20:28

I've found that maps tend to crash if you have a mix of .umx and mp3 music in the same level. The best way to get around it is to set up the RMusicControllers in such a way that all umx music is completely stopped before any mp3 music begins.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012, 15:55

Went today in the EXU2 server and played PP (Map 4) with decals turned off. It never crashed. So yeah, that was the reason, turn off decals like the readme says (you're NOT supposed to play EXU2 with decals turned ON).
I actually managed to "complete" the level, however after a certain point I decided to throw every Flare I could find because once you lose the PentaPower you're totally fucked and the BOSS literally stomps you in one hit.

On other news, I'm close to finishing upgrading Map 5, the EXU2 Cryox. It fucking rules now - if the big battle of Map 4 wasn't enough for you then get ready for a new Demon-only slaughtering nightmare

The battle is incredibly crazy and long - three waves in three different rooms, all timed and with patterns, ALL difficulty filtered including Coop. However you'll have access to stuff like Magnificent Armor, Ultra Belt and BloodKeg, so I'm not throwing impossible shit there. Rest is up to you on how fast you can deal with all the demons that spawn in your face. And those aren't the only battles in the level, of course.
Possibly harder than Map 4; I wanted this one in the first phase at first, however the ending wasn't that climatic and by the time I still had no idea about all the details to add and the cool subplot hinted in the announcement shot posted some weeks ago.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 23:32

6 new Phase 2 shots added. Will slow down development until the new EXU2 beta/demo will come out - the first four maps will be eventually released again to make them work under post 2.1 version.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012, 04:46

I approve of the new screenshots
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 01:38

I sure hope the post 2.1 stuff is a bit kinder to the server.

G59 Map 04 will keep the servers CPU pegged at 98-100% use, even if no players
are connected.....
Mooo !

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 12:42

MrLoathsome wrote:G59 Map 04 will keep the servers CPU pegged at 98-100% use, even if no players
are connected.....

Holy crap, this happens when the monsters appear right?
How much different is to Highlands CPU performance-wise?
ImageImage

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 22:39

Highlands does pretty much the same thing.....
Mooo !

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 04:10

Is that stock EXU2 coop or with extra mods added on?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 11:17

EXU2 maps are only on EXU2 Coop server. The only difference is that monsters drop flares and other items.

But what a coincidence the not-so-final map of G59 behaving like the not-so-final map of BI! :P
ImageImage

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 17:34

UBerserker wrote:EXU2 maps are only on EXU2 Coop server. The only difference is that monsters drop flares and other items.

Technically-speaking, that is a huge difference, or could be depending on how it's accomplished.

What I'm asking is... does the server get pegged if nothing is happening and nothing special has been applied? I think Open Beta will perform better but there's still a lot of optimizing to be done.

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 03:18

Happens even when the server is empty, but is dependent upon how far into the
map players have gotten. (Depending upon the map....)

It is pretty much stock exu2 coop, other than a few mutators that only do
anything when something dies. (Gibs, blood, extra death message and drops)
No noticeable lag spike when kills/deaths occur.
Ran tests last week without the MoreGore, MoreBlood or extra death message mutators
but no difference.

The extra flares and guns, only get dropped when a player or pawn gets killed, and I
do have the dropped flares getting a LifeSpan of 1200 set atm.

In earlier tests some months ago, I had a LOT more flares spawning than I do now.
It takes a pretty huge amount of them before there is a noticeable increase in lag and
the amount spawning now is way lower than that, although I am sure they do contribute
a bit.

I suspect it is due to the sheer number of monsters, and perhaps something related to the
flying pawns. Seems like all the maps that do have this issue, have a lot of flying skaarj
and whatnot.

BI11-Corruption crashed yesterday, shortly after the flying skaarj showed up after I had
killed off the Pissed-off sentient rock douchebags and the Rock Masters.

Also have noticed that in BI03-Shitstorm, the server stops lagging shortly after you get most
of the mega gasbags and flying squids killed.

Going to tweak the settings for the dropper mutator, so nothing will drop when ScriptedPawns
are killed, and lower the lifespan variable for flares that get dropped when a player dies.
Will test it a bit now, and let you know if I see any change.
Mooo !

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 05:26

Update: That change to the settings seems to have made a considerable difference, although
I am not exactly sure why...
Just played halfway thru BI-15 and G59-04, with the lowest cpu use I recall seeing on either of them.

The function the dropper mutator uses is PreventDeath.

Is there a chance that some, but not all, of the EXU pawns might be making a lot of extra
calls to that function for some reason? (Without actually dying....)

It would have to be a LOT of calls to that function, with Killer == Killed for cpu use to
crank up as much as it does. (If Killer != Killed, extra stuff would be spawning in huge piles....)

I am somewhat at a loss to explain it at this point, and am just guessing.

Might draft up a very short mutator that just dumps a log line in PreventDeath, to check that.
Mooo !

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 10:45

Have you considered that your issues may stem entirely from modding an extremely excessive mod that constantly treads on all available engine limits to make it even more excessive and add even more content, all despite the mod already being tweaked for optimal co-op play by its original author? ;)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next