Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010, 18:19

All download links have been fixed. The missing music file is now in the main archive.

Sometimes I really hate myself

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010, 21:09

Save Bugs: A.K.A. "WHEN I SAVE IN MAP 3 AND THEN LOAD IT TAKES ME BACK TO MAP 2!!! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO I HATE YOU"

This engine's save system basically serializes a copy of the entire map + whatever is going on in it at the time. Naturally, in EXU, this means it saves a TON of info every time you make a save, quick or not. Sometimes, the engine just shits itself.

1. When you notice your saves have stopped working, open the console (press ~ or Tab) and type "showlog"
  2. If you see an "error moving Save.tmp to Save##.usa" somewhere, you know you have a corrupt save
  3. To fix: save your current game in a different slot (or in any normal slot if your Save1000, which is the Quicksave, got corrupted)
  4. Close UT and open your ..\UT\Save\ folder
  5. Delete Save##.usa, where ## = the number of the corrupt save
  6. Reopen UT, load your functional save, and save over the now-dead slot (there will still be a name here unless you delete it from Oldskool.ini)
  7. Try saving again in that slot and it should work. Hooray

I know this is kinda shitty but hey, EXU is maxing out the engine all over the place; it's only natural that some stuff like this will happen from time to time!

Really, the best way to avoid these problems is to make a save in a new slot at the end of each map right before you load the next one. This way, if something bugs out and you lose progress, you aren't taken back so far. I also recommend starting with a clean slate before you play, i.e. no saves at all. But saves from other map packs shouldn't impact EXU at all, nor should EXU affect them.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010, 14:01

Okay, up to Map 4 [U] and I have full ammo and shittons of armours as usual.
Anyway now I understand why in Shitstorm the carcasses are supposed to be disappear - the shitstorm itself really slows down the game at times (the second time it happens). I was forced to killall the decals to make everything return almost normal. It's a nice concept overall.

So no sight of the super secret area. I'm betting it's located in one the two Chizra maps or in one of the two Dark maps, but who knows. The new Vortex seemed scary enough to contain hidden stuff.
ImageImage

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE [7/29/10]

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 15:33

It was inevitable, but there's gonna have to be a patch at some point. I've started putting current items into the Patch Notes thing, but there's going to be a LOT more done before we release any kind of patch. Among them will be (hopefully) significant UELite performance increases, EXU Translocator which performs better and has a better/more obvious damaged effect and can't bypass BlockAlls and stuff, recoded flares/functional flare crates for online play, and some more stuff.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010, 00:01

O FLUCK I DID IT AGGGAIN

k
So it's more fucking fun than before. And even more balanced too. The AI is aggressive, Pupae are mofos and no more never-stop-firing Brutes bullshit. Yess
On the serious note, the game seems to encourage you using Flares rather than Ammo. Poor Hyper Flakker, I have to be less wasteful with that gun, but it's too good against certain enemies. Regarding Flares, I haven't used them generally (well, aside single moments when I had to clear certain room, like the one in Map 12 with the levers to open the prison cells), but with some exceptions: lots of Shock Flares against the Boss Archdemon (who's the best shoot-and-cover boss ever for Unreal), the gib test of that asshole of E'Chee brother/wannabe/friend/fuckhim and the Feuer Frei section in the last level.

Bouncilaser Flares are amazing. My favourite maps are Map 1 (which got an amazing improvement), Map 10, Map 11 and the last three. Especially the Feuer Frei section, it owns, bar none. Disappearing carcasses made the experience better - good FPS, items easier to find.
If EXU2 would be considered a mappack it would get the top spot automatically D:

Other comments/feedback:
1)One or two less Magic Armor Seeds. Map 11 had tons of those, plus Seed Seeds too. Even though, they're somewhat helpful for Unreal difficulty... but still, under a minute in Corruption, Seed Seeds went haywire and started dropping every kind of awesome stuff you wouldn't really want like the LRPC. When I finished the game I had the LRPC with 15 ammo; I never used it (it's powerful and all but at the end it's like the Chaos Barrel that you're never going to use. Not easy to find a real situation when you need it). But the Magic Armor Seeds are still broken; the first one I ever used created a Heavy Belt.
2)Looks like that asshole of the mouse scroller doesn't like the Extractor (usually). I have to select it manually before it's added in the scroll list. This is something which should happen to the Translocator, which is now a low-tier weapon thanks to god.
3)I guess nothing can be done for the invisible wall in Map 6's cavern which contains the Magic Armor Seed, except Translocating through it. Just pointed it out here for anyone else.
4)The shitstorm in Shitstorm needs more optimization I think. The second one really slows down everything due to the present decals in the map when you arrive at the trigger point (had to killall decal just to make it playable, it was even worse than some moments of the Feuer Frei ragetrip).
5)Secret area isn't that secret. Needs to be hidden more >:E
[spoiler]...and the objective in here is quite the death sentence, especially the last three waves. It was practically Flare spam here when the enemies spawned. Who isn't prepared about this then good luck to those who discover and want to finish the thing... then it's a secret area anyway.[/spoiler]
6)One more Hyper Flakker ammo somewhere.
7)In the Feuer Frei section, having Archdemons who spawn behind you is sometimes... not nice. I had to reload the game various times because these guys surrounded me and drained all my health in a second. Was forced to stay back.
8)Contact Beam's charging effect is a bit annoying. Way too large, and when you move, it bounces like mad in front of you and it's hard to hit stuff while moving.
9)Seafood in the scoreboard = Squids? I killed probably more than 600 Devilfish.

grrr EXU2.
ImageImage

mechanism8
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010, 14:40

Wowie!!! The 4th demo is kickass good! I really enjoy all your works.

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010, 16:38

Thanks guys :I Still working on fixing issues. I just figured out that the Extractor won't be selected if you have 0 "ammo" (0% burst charge) when scrolling weapons, though you can still select it manually with the 1 key. You can select it fine if it has any "ammo" in it at all, so we'll probably force it to always have at least 1.

UB:

1) I'm gonna work on making a weighted random function to replace the percentage-based thing I've got going right now for Seed Seeds / Magic Armor Seeds so I can manually specify an arbitrary (low) number for rare items and a really high number for common ones, effectively making their odds of appearing less than 1%, which should make it even less likely you'll get game-breakingly powerful armor
2) See above
3) Probably not without rebuilding geo, and Vandora is a pretty unstable house of cards when it comes to that, so I'm not touching it
4) You really need to turn off permanent decals :p Both shitstorms are ok on my machine, especially given the second one usually comes near the end of the map when you've killed most enemies
5) lol
6) I can throw one in somewhere I guess
7) You're supposed to stay back. Getting into the middle of the action with Archdemons around is never a good idea.
8) This may be fixable, we tried before and had other issues but might be able to get it down this time (probably won't be fixed until the final though when UA has a chance to recode the whole weapon particle drawing system)
9) Seafood = squids AND devilfish combined (and also biterfish but I dunno if it accurately counts those)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010, 17:06

Chaos Barrels in the inventory won't let you pickup Fun Barrels.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010, 23:56

UBerserker wrote:Chaos Barrels in the inventory won't let you pickup Fun Barrels.

Fixed!

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 17:07

Just downloaded and have been playing the tutorials and stuff, very fun. :tup: Also it will be my first ever EXU play as I was waiting for Demo 4 to come out before playing.

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 18:08

Cool, let me know how you do and if you have lots of trouble in any specific places

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE [8/2/10]

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 18:34

the hive will show them! >:0
the hive will teach them a lesson for their insolence

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE [8/2/10]

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010, 14:02

Downloading \o/

Expext a new couple of tracks in a short time :)
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE [8/13/10]

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 16:38

Sounds good :tup:

Also, FYI everyone: if you use EXUOpenGL.drv (or possibly any of Chris Dohnal's OGL renderers), if you set bUseS3TC to FALSE, any 512x512 textures will be downsampled to 256. This is a bug. We'll fix it in the future, but for now, either set it to True or use D3D10 which doesn't have this problem (and has a lot of other nifty features, including uncapped DrawDistance like EXUOpenGL.drv!)

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 RELEASE [8/13/10]

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010, 16:08

OK, about EXU: It was the most unforgiving game I had ever played and it thoroughly raped my inner peace.

However, it was by far the most fun I have ever had with a game, countless stupid deaths orchestrated by my myself aside. Fucking awesome :tup: I especially love the Titan-turned badass demon and the introduced health bar. Even though it pissed me off to a degree where I went god mode and "WHO'S THE BITCH NOW A MOTHERFUCKER?!" until he finally dropped dead. There were some load problems, mainly with the game going "I don't like you so I'll throw you back for let's say half a level, m'kay?" all over the place, but it didn't bother me because I had too much fun :D

Hats off to you, sir.

P.S.: The Shitgun is by far the best weapon I ever had in any game in all 12 years since I first started playing games. Best. Weapon. Ever. Period. Fucking brilliant.
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

Previous Next