Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion thread

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest - Discussion threa

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 22:28

Pawn's health, texture, size, fatness, inventory name... Cool :D

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 01 May 2011, 16:21

Been away for a bit, and then had some computer issues. I guess I'll join in the fun though, even if I'm a bit late. Will post a thread perhaps tomorrow or so. GL to everyone.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 12:36

Been away also (3 weeks), and goddamn, so much to read. If all projects finish in time this is going to be a contest yielding at least a month of playing time, make that 3 months.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 12:35

Played all the maps released so far (I think). I hope we get a few more people finishing their entries in time (or at least give us demos, please!).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 22:43

Edit: Removed. See the OP of this thread for an updated list of what I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2055
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 00:45

What's the console command to set the difficulty level when loading a map with the console?

Edit: Never mind, found it (it's ?difficulty= with no gap from the map name).
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:39

Due to some serious time constraints I will not be able to present the compilation and contest-related website pages on GMT midnight of the anniversary day. I will work toward releasing it later on that day to the best of my ability, however. I apologize for the inconvenience, but exam stress, lack of sleep as well as long school days at the start of the week make it impossible to release on time.

I am asking coop server owners to hold off on using contest maps on their servers before the compilation is released. The compilation will contain maps edited and converted for maximum compatibility as well as including exits that redirect to the 10th Anniversary Contest's map hub, so it's best not to use the currently uploaded versions for server hosting.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:01

sana wrote:The compilation will contain maps edited and converted for maximum compatibility as well as including exits that redirect to the 10th Anniversary Contest's map hub

What about the maps that don't have exits?

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:05

Uh, they didn't follow the rules... =(
I don't want to disqualify any of the entrants, so I'd love if hotfixes by the authors were provided in those cases. If not, I will probably improvise and add something myself, but this is likely undesired by the original authors, so we're in a bit of a pickle...

Which entries are affected? I haven't gone through all of them yet.

*edits post 3000 times*

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:59

sana wrote:Which entries are affected? I haven't gone through all of them yet.

Marooned & TIK's Tunnel don't even have a place for an end, I think a couple of others are lacking teleporters but have ends...

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 02:07

Entrants should be willing, if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work, for their maps to be compiled into a larger map pack or compilation distributed by UnrealSP.Org. This includes further conversion by the staff in order to make the maps compatible with all popular versions of Unreal.

Key thing being "if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work". Are these maps finished enough to warrent a compilation release? Personally I'm against it UNLESS we also include the (Updated) 8th Anniversary maps. In that case I think there would be sufficient content in terms of both quality AND quantity. If the respective mappers have been working on the maps since then, maybe we can get some updates too :P. There simply was more and more polished content in the last contest. No offense to any of this years entries intended.

Don't read if you haven't played my entry:
[spoiler]In terms of my tunnel, it was originally going to be a brain teaser as to how to get out of the tunnel, and there are still plans to make it that way, but for now I'm happy wacking the end teleporter at the other end of the tunnel for compilation purposes. It was supposed to also be infinite but as it is it just abruptly ends. That abrupt end can be the teleporter.[/spoiler]
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 04:23

Tell them to re submit the map with an exit and upload it again.SP maps gotta have an exit, is as important as DM having player starts.
Just ban everyone

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 10:11

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Key thing being "if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work". Are these maps finished enough to warrent a compilation release? Personally I'm against it UNLESS we also include the (Updated) 8th Anniversary maps. In that case I think there would be sufficient content in terms of both quality AND quantity. If the respective mappers have been working on the maps since then, maybe we can get some updates too :P. There simply was more and more polished content in the last contest. No offense to any of this years entries intended.

Y'know, not only is that a very good point, but delaying the compilation release until later will allow us to iron out certain problems (like the unfinishedness of some entries, getting permissions for Leo's bugfix versions & host space) as well as significantly speed up the anniversary post! So I'll just go with that.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 12:50

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Key thing being "if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work". Are these maps finished enough to warrent a compilation release? Personally I'm against it UNLESS we also include the (Updated) 8th Anniversary maps. In that case I think there would be sufficient content in terms of both quality AND quantity. If the respective mappers have been working on the maps since then, maybe we can get some updates too :P. There simply was more and more polished content in the last contest. No offense to any of this years entries intended.

Actually when the cancellations started coming in, I was thinking along the same lines but decided against mentioning it. But seeing the favourable response by sana, I'm all in favour (although there are a couple of the previous contest's maps which I unfortunately can't see being adapted/finished in time).

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 14:33

Having played them all my favourite is easily Turboman's entry, which is something really fresh and manages to have substance as an exploration/atmosphere map too despite being unfinished. Teridax's is second despite it's balance flaws, as it's both very substantial and by far the most "classic" entry while still having a style of its own. I'm not sure of the third between ebd, Leo and Legendslayer, which are all good for different reasons.

While the ideas are nice it's a shame most of the maps ended up being really short and unfinished concept maps. For this contest style it almost makes me wish I had gone for a pure classic Unreal map with relatively light detail rather than the "modern" higher detail style Forsaken Spire is going for, as there was plenty of space in the contest for more maps like that, and I could probably map that much faster. I guess there's next year :) .

I like the idea of including the maps from the last contest in the compilation.
Formerly Mman

Previous Next