Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Pre-contest discussion archive

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Tenth anniversary mapping contest?

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:50

Custom scripts. Music/Sounds/Textures work normally on both platforms (as long as the game folders have the available files obviously).
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:04

I do not see any problem with allowing 227 in the competition. The grand majority of 227's features only really shines when you use them with custom content such as particle textures, custom meshes etc. which would not be permitted in the contest. In fact, the possibilities of creative use of those features with Unreal's sparse visual content sounds rather interesting to me.

Additionally, the arguments of compatibility, popularity and "waah I don't have 227 installed go away" just do not hold up anymore. It's 2010 - you should have more than sufficient computer resources to install or copy Unreal one more time. It'll take about 700 MB and 10 minutes of your time.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:08

Yeah either is fine with me, just clarifing if we can use UT content, since we're going all old school (no pun intended).

And I don't care if we use 227 or not, but I'd prefer to keep custom meshes and stuff out, like has already been mentioned.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:18

Great, that's settled then.
We have a bit more than 6 weeks to New Year so the submission date seems clear, no? :B
Now for the important stuff: how many new maps will I have on my HD by januari 1st. The sooner I know this, the better cuz' I have to make arrangement not to be disturbed - I've already canceled the boring NY's eve party that was planned in my honour, I've booked a 2 weeks holiday for my partner starting jan 1st. My daughter will be sent to boarding school for that period and I've called in sick at work already. \o/

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:19

The tenth anniversary is quite a bit away, y'know? :)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:22

sana wrote:The tenth anniversary is quite a bit away, y'know? :)

no problem, All these plans I make have to be thoroughly tested anyway.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 15:08

EDIT: Using 227 doesn't make the game automatically better unless the author knows how to use the features in the right way so it can go in.
Usual rules still should apply either way. I mean, if you can use particle systems and such in the contest, then you can use everything else you want.
Last edited by UB_ on 06 Dec 2010, 15:48, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 15:12

Legendslayer222 wrote:I think, as it will be UnrealSP.Org's special tenth birthday we should theme the contest on classic Unreal themes.

Pretty much this, except

EDIT: And if all the maps have the unreal theme we could possibly, with some editting, connect them together to make one large Deja Vu style pack.

This didn't work last time, and there's a very very small chance it will work this time. Let the mappers be free to choose their own themes, story, and continuity. I don't think we should even bother trying to make a hub map this time - just put the releases up for grabs as standalone maps like they would have been in the "good 'ol days" :p A nice HTML page with each map, a short description, and a screenshot or two would be much cleaner and better.

Regarding 227, I don't really care either way whether it gets used or not so long as I can map with UED2.

Thinking about it some more, I don't think we should worry too much about whether or not a map runs on 227 or UT or 226; as sana said, installing an extra copy of Unreal + 227 is trivial these days if for some reason a map will only run on 227. That said, I don't think people who map with 227 should use 227's advanced engine features (i.e. anything that confers a major advantage over stock Unreal/UT), but I don't suppose it will really matter that much in the end. Level design isn't made better simply by using particle emitters or not.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 16:53

We have to draw the line somewhere.

It seems that many want this contest to take Unreal mapping back to it's roots. Back when SP projects were small and generally didn't include any custom content. At the moment it seems like any UT content is excluded as well but that stuff wasn't included with Unreal so that makes sense. If we're going to be excluding UT content 227 stuff should be ruled out as well. I don't care what tools people used whether it's any version of UnrealEd or if they use 3DS Max or Lightwave or whatever for the more advanced brushes. The original developers of Unreal used that stuff. I believe the end result is what matters. Only stock content. It's either an all or nothing affair to me.

It's just over six months to the anniversary but I guess there's no harm starting now. Gives us more time to work out the kinks.
StalwartUK

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 18:47

Why not just Unreal 227 plus UT stuff? Most people here have both. And how much more does UT have that's not in 227 already?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 18:51

This would be an interesting challenge... I'm used to slamming my own textures in wherever something doesn't fit, it'd be quite challenge not to :B I'd be for this
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 18:51

Nothing in regards of the contest, but I disagree with that idea. Use UT or/and 227 and just not one - "227 with UT stuff" means nothing at all.
Stalwart got it right anyway. Retail stuff only. Otherwise we'll get another Dead Cell/ISV-Dragonfly/etc, which is a wrong choice for the sake of the contest.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 19:59

Someone should make a list of all the .uax and .utx and .umx packages from Unreal 1 so we know what is ok to use, just to clarify for anyone who isn't sure. If custom scripts aren't allowed, there's no reason to list which .u packages are usable, because everything you need is under ScriptedPawn and Inventory. I'd do it myself, but I'm lazy and have probably 5000 packages in my textures folder :p

Nothing from UT's texture packages or Botpack should be used, IMO.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:04

If we're making a contest using retail Unreal stuff only that's a pretty clear parameter if everyone wants to do a Classic Theme. No extra UT stuff, no extra RTNP stuff presumably, and obviously you can make a classic map just fine without relying on Oldskool or 227 features. Playing anything made for the contest, if it were to be Classic Unreal, on any of the above patches or platforms would merely be player preference. You'd be able to make the map on any editor for either game as long as it is compatible for everyone, yes? I have Unreal installed as well as UT, doesn't everyone here?

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:12

My only concern is if I map it under UT, it should work under UT with Oldskool as well as 227, but what about Unreal 226f? I mean, I kinda doubt anyone really uses that shit anymore as a primary platform, but should we make our stuff work for that or just UT and 227?

Previous Next