ividyon will never get this done, will he.

So near yet so far...

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: So near yet so far...

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 15:19

Finally figured out how to extract Hexen II's lovely decorative meshes and convert them to .3ds format, make their skins look just as they should, and change the skins so they would suit the requirements of importing into U1/UT99 while still looking nice when applied to their respective meshes -- all without paying anything. :wink: (I won't be explaining how unless there's a request for it here.)

Only one problem left.

Tried getting one of the meshes into UT99 (using 3ds2unr etc -- you probably know it already). Everything seemed plain sailing until I noticed the line specifying the skin texture was missing in the .uc file. Tried keying in the whole line. Continued everything as per normal. The mesh was successfully imported as a decoration actor, except it was... invisible. :B You can only see the wireframe of the mesh in the top-down and side windows.

I later figured that perhaps I should first open the .3ds mesh in a 3D program (I use Carrara Studio 3), apply the texture, then save, and only after that bring it into UT99. Same problem (the missing line). Checked the mesh by opening it again in Carrara to see what might be wrong, only to find that for some reason Carrara defaulted back to some standard shader instead of 'remembering' the texture I specified. Re-specified the texture and tried other ways of saving ('save', 'save as', 'export' etc). Same thing.

Not that I'm expecting anyone to be able to help (though it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could). Just thought I'd let off a bit of steam. 3D game editing can be such a fascinating experience, but also a very frustrating one!
Last edited by Taz on 14 May 2009, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 15:24

Did you try applying the texture to the mesh via the Skin, Texture or MultiSkins properties in the actor properties window of the decoration?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 15:30

Gee, this never occured to me. Will have to try it out.

(HOPE!! :D )

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 17:02

It worked! Thanks so much, sana! Will hafta give you a free lunch someday! :D

The texture actually looked a bit blurred on the mesh for some reason and no longer as defined. I'm not complaining too much, though!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 18:21

That's just the engine's shitty smoothing groups for you

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 May 2009, 19:04

Taz, you might want to upload what you got here. I might be able to get the proper #IMPORT statements going for you so you don't have to use a multitexture hack. (instead of sending the .u you will have to send the source files you used to compile the .u in this case).

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 May 2009, 01:43

I appreciate your offer to help, but... how do you upload? (Or shall I email you the files?)

Waffnuffly wrote:That's just the engine's shitty smoothing groups for you

I suppose a certain amount of smoothing can actually be good, though the way my meshes turned out was admittedly a bit unexpected... :)

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 May 2009, 02:21

Mediafire, Filefactory, etc.

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 May 2009, 02:38

Thanks for the info. :tup:

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 May 2009, 05:27

Mindblowing how you people do this stuff, meshes?, hexen? to UT.

Who would of thought about Hexen these days. :tup:
Just ban everyone