ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Invisible brushes causing BSP problems.

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Invisible brushes causing BSP problems.

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 08:37

I have made some regular additive brushes with invisible surfaces to create a good invisible collision for deco meshes. After adding a little more geometry I began to experience some instant kill spots. They were caused by places with that "brown zone polys", you know. They were even unnoticeable in game because most of them were at invisible brushes or covered by meshes. The solution was to make brushes masked, not invisible. I put that Botpack green texture on brush and set it masked. Works great for me.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 14:05

I highly doubt that changing the textures alone was able to fix it. It may have been a coincidence that after you changed the textures and rebuilt, the error disappeared (or relocated). Do you have any screens of the area you were messing with that had the problem? And if it is actually the textures, it should go straight back to being a problem if you set them back to invisible and then rebuild; does that happen?

diamond

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 16:27

The problem is not in texture of course. The problem is in brush polys properties - masked or invisible.

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 16:40

diamond wrote:The problem is not in texture of course. The problem is in brush polys properties - masked or invisible.

Why would texture properties (on the brush) affect the surrounding geometry, though?

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 16:50

Waffnuffly wrote:
diamond wrote:The problem is not in texture of course. The problem is in brush polys properties - masked or invisible.

Why would texture properties (on the brush) affect the surrounding geometry, though?

Maybe the invisible polys have some sort of bug with the collision of the brush, it doesn't affect nothing in geometry.
Remember that BSP includes both geometry and collision detection, and diamond's problems were only instant kill spots, which means, collisions errors, not geometry whatsoever.

Each poly has its own collision, right? And each poly has its properties, and invisible is the same to tell to the poly to not render itself, just place the poly collision. But with the bugs and limitations that BSP has, it might be very possible that the invisible property of the polys conflict or tweak somewhat the brush collision as well sometimes, giving instant kill spots, has the player falls in the solid space.

Just a guess...

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 03:57

@diamond

This could be more on the mixture of solids/semi's/non's that was used. The state of the error just changes for every rebuild. Like Waff said, texture properties don't affect the BSP in any way at all.

In that case, you might want to check for overlapping brushes, such as the omnipresent nonsolid+semisolid problem. Or you may have used ordinary semisolids over Special Brush--->Invisible Collision Hull. And I'm not sure about it but wouldn't meshes lose their lightmaps if they were coated in non-nonsolid brushes?

Feralidragon wrote:collisions errors, not geometry whatsoever.

Surface collision is directly built with geometry in UEd. Kill spots are caused by confused geometry. (Such as, UEd confusing unpartitioned "filled" space with "empty" space because of overlapping brushes.)

diamond

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 08:35

OK guys, I'll investigate more and maybe even extract some part of the map for you to try.