Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Unrealed - missing mcx-files

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

rixard
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Unrealed - missing mcx-files

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 09:08

First of all I'd like to say nice site and forum. It's great to see that Unreal still has an active community. I hadn't played the game for years when I found Unreal Gold online really cheap. So I installed it and I have to say that the first few maps really took my breath away - again! It's better than I remember it.

Oh well, I fired up Unrealed - never tried it before. I have done a few Wolf3D, Doom and Sauerbraten maps though.

Before I got the darn thing up and runnning I had do download quite a few mcx-files. And then when I had created my first room, textured it and was about to place the playerstart it complained yet again about missing mcx-files.

Is there a complete list of all these mcx-files or is there an archive which I can download? It gets old fast to google 'em one at a time whenever Unrealed crashes because of missing files.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 09:59

If you have Unreal Gold you're better off getting the oldskool mod for UT and using UnrealED 2 to make levels rather than using the old U1 editor.

rixard
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 10:36

Ok, I have UT too. How do I go about getting the oldskool mod?

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 11:50

rixard wrote:Ok, I have UT too. How do I go about getting the oldskool mod?

Grab it from Usaar33's site.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

rixard
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 12:35

Very nice, got it working fine. I am still learning the Unrealed 2 - I gotta go through a couple of tutorials. Thanks alot for the help.

When I've learned a bit more I'll probably ask more questions but this got me started. Unrealed 2 hasn't crashed or complained about missing files - phew :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 12:41

Another difference is that only UT players will be able to play your maps if you use UED2.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:14

Would be the same situation yet more extreme with UGold.

rixard
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:18

So what do you guys reckon? Should I try and fix the unrealed shipped with gold or should I focus on unrealed 2 for UT that I have started to learn already?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:20

I'd choose UED2 due to its better stability. And that's it.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 23:00

You might wanna wait for the unofficial 227 patch to be released for UGold - Unreal 227 (vanilla) included UnrealEd 2, so it could also be in the UGold version.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

rixard
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 21:45

I found some patches off of oldunreal.com for unrealed and they seemed to do the trick. I can now build and play levels hrm some rooms I have connected ;)

Still learning unrealed. I haven't used anything like it before but I am slowly learning. Hoping that the 227 patch will include unrealed 2.

So, I'm using UG - does that mean that my maps will be available only for other UG players? In other words will it exclude the original Unreal release?

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 00:45

rixard wrote:will it exclude the original Unreal release?

yes and depending on the assets used, UT as well.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 09:31

Once 227 is full stable I see no reason to use old patches. 227 players can join all original servers. And yes it'll exclude all original U1 players, that's because Legend (or was it epic) broke compatibility by adding LevelInfo. So stick with 227 (it's much better then previous patches) or install 225f and create another "system" dir in U1 structure to hold 225f UED... or use UT (but this will exclude U1 players :P). Anyway if you're gonna use 227 then I think if you'll not use any 227 specific actors everything should run in UT also.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 11:41

... out of pure curiosity, is this patch going to be appliable to U:RtNP? I'm asking because i have it and UT, and UT2004, but not Unreal itself (altough i played it at the time, borrowed). RtNP has the most inconvenient matter of fumbling the UT registration of UMODs, and my experience with both RtNP and UT installed has always been too painfull to keep RtNP on. Usually, when i reinstall those, and start replaying RtNP and so, and later i want to use UMOD'ed stuff in UT it simply doesn't alllow me. The unfortunate solution is full uninstall of all produts. That's why i don't have UT ATM on PC (or RtNP).

And, i know RtNP is even more "reclusive" in terms of community than Unreal by this time, but heck, i actually like some of the stuff (i know about cheesy story, redundant weapons, silly cliché'd spider enemy, ackward voice-over intermissions, and few maps... but still...), and it always 'stabs' on me that i can't have both RtNP and UT, both properly running on a single PC.

AND

It bothers me even more that, when i happen to had just RtNP, i couldn't edit s*** because the editor is archaic to say the least and crashes a lot (or... i'm too spoiled with UnrealED 2 :P )... In anyway, is there any salvation for RtNP in shape of patch? *outcrie*

(O.T. - i had to re-register on UnrealSP. Was there any database crash? Is it related with BU crash in anyway??) - Thanks for info, UBerserker :]
Last edited by Nahand on 27 Jun 2008, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
...'sharp dressed man'...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 12:01

Since you read my previous post, I'll respond to the other question: 227 doesn't work with RTNP. At least OldUnreal says so.
ImageImage

Next