Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[UT] RMusicPlayer beta - music player for UT.

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [UT] RMusicPlayer beta - music player for UT.

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 23:39

Sounds interesting! Let me know in the EXU thread if you like if there's anything I should add specifically to the next update that would help you out.

That said, regarding the RMusicPlayer stuff, you may want to just have a recommendation that everyone installs that first, just to have it, since I know other maps out there will make use of it before long. I think EXU is one of the first (if not THE first) released project to use it widely in SP, but if people installed the standalone release, that would be a good idea. They'd still need the music from the actual EXU2 mod package, but it's not critical for gameplay, obviously.

User avatar Core
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 21:06

Thanks, I'll be keeping you informed in the EXU thread if I encounter something worth a mention :) .

Waffnuffly wrote:... since I know other maps out there will make use of it before long. I think EXU is one of the first (if not THE first) released project to use it widely in SP...

Apart from the ISV Dragonfly contest beta, I'm not aware of any other mappack that's using the RMusicPlayer. Perhaps now would be the right time to update it with full coop support if possible (removing dependancy), before other mappacks start using it as well?

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 13:15

Aside of making 'fake' package (although ATM dunno how to add same GUID to two different packages) you'd need to delete player from maps to completely remove dependency. And another packs that will use it widely are Dead Cell, Residual Decay and The Chosen One (although they are total conversions with little UT/U stock content usage - with exception of TCO).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Core

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:00

If you don't want to add full coop support because there are mappacks that already use it in its current form, that's your choice and I'll respect that.

Your GUID comment brings me on a another idea though. I can just have a fake package on the servers that does all the non native / triggering stuff, whilst having the same GUID as the real package, so it can be downloaded by players who don't have it, while others who do have it can still use their installation & enjoy mp3 music, so there are no mismatches at all. I haven't found the time yet to browser through the Rmusicplayer source thoroughly. Are there any calls to native functions happening on the serverside in the original? That might make things more complicated.

Even Though the workaround method i described in one of my previous posts would require two packages, it doesn't necessarily mean that maps who use it need to be edited. When the engine loads a map & its actors it doesn't check for their package GUID, or even function/class modifiers. Just plainly checks for the availability of the actors's class in that package, the variables & functions in that class.

As for transferring the GUID, using UTPT in combination with HxD, you'll find the offsets of the GUID in no time. You don't even need UTPT for this, you can simply use the GUID of a file in your cache folder for this :wink: .

This might shed some more light:
http://unreal.epicgames.com/Packages.htm

User avatar Raven

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:58

There is coop support already. And player (not controller) is not even spawned on dedicated server so if you already have non-native version you can use it, because AFAIK EXU version of music player was (and will be) last release - since no bugs were found I don't have plan to add new features.

User avatar Core

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 23:05

Actually there's no need for an update at all. The fake non-native-but-functional-same-guid file is only needed for the redirect, so when players who don't have it get it from there and are able to run the maps & join without mismatch, while the server just keeps using the unmodified original.

Will be testing this out on the servers the coming days/weeks. If there's a problem with this method I'll let you know.

Even though you're not planning to add features, having an option to redirect the mp3's used in a map, would make this tool rocking optimus prime 8) .

EDIT: Wasn't aware that there was only a windows version of RMusicPlayer (The servers run on unix). Will have to find another workaround :o

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011, 01:38

Hey Raven, if you're still working on this, I have a new bug report:

I get this crash frequently when I have UMX music transition to mp3 (or other) music. Specifically, this happens in any EXU2 map where you're running around while UMX music is playing and then die, triggering the "you died" silence/fade out RMusicController to silence the current music, followed by the "you died music" RMusicController that plays the actual death music.

Basically it's like this:

1) UMX music is playing
2) You die
3) Death event triggers RMusicController1, which is set to MuteUMX music and also Fade Out mp3 music if any is playing
4) After a short delay, RMusicController2 is kicked in and plays the death music.

Game usually crashes immediately upon hitting #3. It doesn't ALWAYS crash, but it's pretty consistent (every time I've died on Map 15 so far it's done it).

Ideas? I've never had this crash in maps that don't use UMX music, and while I'd like to only use mp3 music, there ARE some songs that just work better as UMXs.

User avatar Raven

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011, 13:53

UMX is used in level info or RMusicController? If RMusicController is the case then don't use umx. Player can use umx if you import mp3 inside, it can't play standard umx.

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011, 14:20

The map starts off silent, but later triggers UMX music from a standard MusicEvent. The RMusicControllers are solely used for the death event (mp3 music).

I've had UMX music playing before in a map (Map 3) with the same sort of situation that DIDN'T cause crashes, though, so it may be something with my setup in this map. I may just delete all controllers and start over and see what happens.

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011, 04:01

Update: seems to have fixed it by redoing some of my controller setup. I'll report back if I get the crashes again.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013, 11:35

Is there any chance this can be recompiled with newer FMOD code ?
It is not compatible with the newest UT audio renderers (OMP 0.99b) :(
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 8615/20#20

User avatar Raven

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013, 22:19

I'll try to find time and recompile it, can't promise exactly when though.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013, 09:51

Thanks dude, it will be good to be able to continue to use it :D

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 May 2020, 00:02

I have issues with Rmusic. I just want to play the maps, don't care about the music.

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 May 2020, 00:11

Does this mod/mappack run on Linux?

Previous Next