Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Unrealed 2.0, triggerlights, and specialevents

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Unrealed 2.0, triggerlights, and specialevents

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014, 18:44

Hi all,

I did a bit of mapping for UT SP this week-end and got dumbfounded by a problem that shouldn't exist:
- I'm trying to set up a trigger that will make a light turn on with a one shot sound accompanying it. I tried something that SHOULD work: place a "normal" trigger (for instance on the floor), give it an event name (say "Xtest"), then place the trigger light and specialevent actors in the same room (or wherever it suits you) and give them the tag "Xtest"; choose the sound for the special event (a beep, scream etc) and set the lighting to the desired specs. The trigger is triggered only once. All the other settings are default.
Right, it doesn't work!

I looked around a bit: for example, Mister Prophet used triggers with specialevents in multiple instances in "The Landing" (Xidia). Star 861 tries something different: movers, when set in motion, trigger a dispatcher that turns trigger lights on. I haven't yet tried using movers but I guess I shouldn't have to: triggers set off special events with one-shot sounds in various other maps and I don't see why my map would have to do things differently :P
Neither the light nor the sound function with this technique in my case. Is there some obvious something I missed? Or have any of you also experienced this particular type of problem? (could it be that the editor is simply not cooperating?)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Unrealed 2.0, triggerlights, and specialevents

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014, 19:03

What's the InitialState of the Trigger and the Special Event and Trigger Light?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014, 19:10

EDIT: pardon me for being so dumb I'll be right back!! :P
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014, 19:30

Trigger:
-InitialState: NormalTrigger

SpecialEvent:
-InitialState: None (Ooops... should it be PlaySoundEffect?)

TriggerLight:
-InitialState: None (should it be TriggerTurnsOn?)

OK I'll cut the crap: I changed the relevant settings and it all works perfectly now.
Thanks a lot Buff Skeleton, I admit feeling extremely embarassed for a second there! Sending you back some irrelevant info and showing just how much of a noob I still am at this :P but yeah, I got it, I'm so happy! :D

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014, 23:05

:tup: Easy to miss the little things.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014, 17:58

This is why I always ask someone to look over my shoulder when I make something. I can't count the number of times I've been too close to see the problem when a trusted adviser takes about 3 seconds to find it. I've been on both sides and it really makes the process go faster. There are a million little things that can be missed all over the place and it's easy to blind yourself.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014, 19:35

Yeah I agree, when you delve deeply into something it's not easy to take a step back, and having someone else who can help you there definitely makes the process go faster!