ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Trigger/SpecialEvents not working

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Trigger/SpecialEvents not working

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 20:56

This is a problem I've been trying to solve for a while. Initially, I had the player touch a trigger that would activate a TriggerLight and some SpecialEvents that would play sounds and display messages. For some reason, the TriggerLight and the text-displaying SpecialEvent worked, but the sound-playing SpecialEvents did not. What's frustrating is that even when I put a new trigger right by the original one that's supposed to trigger the sound SpecialEvents, the sounds still don't play. When I move the trigger somewhere else, the sounds play. Both the new and old triggers are actually close to a BSP hole, but I wouldn't think something like that would matter since the TriggerLight and text SpecialEvent still work.

My question is, why does the text SpecialEvent work, but the sound ones do not?

Edit: I guess it's worth mentioning that at one point, the SpecialEvents would play the sounds, but it seemed to be completely random as to whether they would actually do it or not.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Trigger/SpecialEvents not working

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 21:00

A quick preliminary idea: Check the script and see how exactly the sounds are produced, and whether or not they are relevant to the event's position, line of sight etc?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 03:13

Set Object > InitialState to PlaySoundEffect or PlayersPlaySoundEffect

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 15:54

I ended up solving the problem by having a dispatcher be triggered. The sounds had a delay time of 0.000001.

I think it only worked because the text SpecialEvent (which plays a beep when text shows up) wasn't competing for "space" with the sound SpecialEvents. That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense. :|