Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

I fix your songs. Cheap.

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: I fix your songs. Cheap.

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013, 16:49

Actually for no cost.

It's obvious that Galaxy is incompetent when it comes to playing back... anything. (yes, anything...)

Thankfully I've been messing with trackers and getting crap to play nice with the fledgling audio device for Unreal. If anyone has a song that doesn't play right in Galaxy, feel free to send it my way and I'll take a look at it. If it's not too out there then I'll beable to hack it up to play properly in Galaxy but don't expect it to sound right on anything else in that regard.

An example of what I've done: http://www.udhq.org/dl/quickbro.umx

This is the song "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps" from DM-DogTown. It uses the volume column in a way that wasn't supported until v2.14 of IT and thus Galaxy has no idea what the hell's going on; Specifically it uses volume slide commands in the volume column which Galaxy interprets as "Set volume to 64". I translated these to their respective effect column commands.

Panning in the song was also handled incorrectly in the volume column and was thus translated to S8x commands. Xxx commands are NOT handled properly by Galaxy for some undecipherable reason. S88 roughly corresponds to "center pan" or X80 for Galaxy. Galaxy handles the S8x panning commands VERY similar to how ST3.EXE does stereo panning on a GUS so S88 is "center pan" even though by nature it shouldn't.

And to note, that UMX above has the same GUID as the original file so you will not get version mismatches concerning that file.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: I fix your songs. Cheap.

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013, 02:31

Could be a useful service for some. You should post on sites with a wider audience.

Indeed there is variation between the same formats depending on age.
ModPlugTracker lets you change the way the mixing levels work within mod files. You can set it to pre 1.16 mixing.
Most files saved or "fixed" with the old ModPlugPlayer end up much quieter. I think people became used to the 1.16 mixing level.

Personally I would just recommend people use newer renderers with hardware support, twice the amount of channels, and better surround-sound positioning.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 17:07

ModPlug Tracker should be avoided like the plague if you want anything to sound right in Galaxy.

Stick with the original trackers running in DosBOX. IT.EXE can save a old fashioned v2.00 uncompressed IT file that plays perfectly with Galaxy if you adhere to the old effects and don't try to use instruments anywhere past NNA's and volume envelopes.

MPT is kinda a bastardized tracker to be honest, trying to be a wannabe FLStudio what with it's inclusion of VST's, DMO's and non standard features that pretty much make it to the point where if you make something in that, it wont play properly on anything outside of MPT itself.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 22:37

Indeed, as it is a Jack-of-all-trades, the compromises often break things.
I'd recommend my favoured module editing/conversion software, but no-one here is likely to want to install AmigaOS :D

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 04:53

I've emulated AmigaOS before. Good fun.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 07:08

If you're talking about Protracker than you sir are a god among mortal men.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 16:15

OK, so the first order of business would be probably the dreaded Guardian.umx. No, it doesn't sound wrong or anything, but it causes some crashes or something on occasion. Maybe you could fix it?
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 18:11

If you can get it to crash and give me the error message, then I'll take a look at it.

Otherwise it looks like a perfectly normal S3M file to me... And Galaxy and S3M kinda tie in together. (not really but it plays alot better than IT files)

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 13:12

afaik Galaxy predates impulse tracker, which would explain why it ignores controllers introduced with it. The problem largely lies in lifting mods from archives that weren't intended to be rendered through galaxy. Modplug/OpenMPT with a basic comprehension of the previous point works perfectly fine.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 22:36

Galaxy only accepts volume envelope when it encounters a IT file that uses instrument control. The same applies also to XM files which is a big miss because there is quite a few XM songs that use the panning envelope exclusively because of the otherwise convoluted method of panning songs in that damn tracker to begin with... (Panning effects do NOT stay in effect and have to be reissued for every new note in a XM file...)

IT was introduced in 1995, it for the most part followed S3M's footsteps and thus Galaxy tends to handle a IT file like a S3M except with XM like features. This is why S8x commands sound correct but Xxx commands do not.