Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[227] Unreal HD Weapons (v0.6 Released!)

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [227] Unreal HD Weapons (work-in-progress)

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 01:41

I just re-did the spark textures and effects for bullet hits.

http://www.twitch.tv/shivaxi/b/397067641

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 03:18

The spark bits look good, but they're ignoring why sparks look the way they do. The long bits should be white-hot and very bright at one end, with the brightness decreasing (and becoming more yellow/orange) as it gets closer to the end. Why? Because a spark is just a very small, very hot, very fast piece of burning metal. The velocity of each individual spark is why it looks like a line. It's not actually a line, but our eyes perceive it that way.

Your lines are faded at both ends, when they should only fade at one. They also don't need any glowy textures. Observe:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/852/ ... 166lk5.jpg

And more: https://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=e ... B790%3B594

So I suggest getting rid of the little corona fade things as they are unrealistic and seem out of place and soften the sparks (when sparks are supposed to look very sharp), and change the textures on the lines so that they are uniformly bright or fade only from one end to another, not from the middle to both ends.

[Edit] ooooh this is a cool photo: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuf ... sparks.jpg

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 03:45

CARE

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 03:54

First of all...I KNOW a line spark is not ACTUALLY a line. But it's not like I can just make some really bright little dot and have it move really fast and it's gonna look like a line on your screen. That ain't gonna happen. Our eyes perceive it as a line because it's so fuckin bright it burns into our eyes a bit...like looking at the sun. You look at the sun for a second, then look back down, and you still see an image of the sun burned into your eyes. I can't replicate BRIGHTNESS in a VIDEO GAME because I can only get as bright as pure white. And it's not actually bright because everyone's monitors and brightness levels are completely different and it's not like Unreal has HDR lighting or anything lol. So I HAVE to make an ACTUAL line in order to replicate the effect.

Second of all...the first picture you posted...there's no fading on either end of those sparks, plus only like 10% look bright hot white in the middle. Most of them look exactly like mine actually...bright yellow in the middle surrounded by orange. The fading on my sparks is to help the darker orange stand out more and to look smooth. Also you can't actually notice it unless taking screenshots like I did. Plus, the glow is a nice effect..which again is to simulate brightness. Those screenshots you posted dont show a glow on the sparks because cameras dont pick that up like our eyes do.

So deal with it :P

P.S. If you actually watched the video, you would see that my line sparks DO fade out to a dark orange, after spawning very near to white bright.
Last edited by Shivaxi on 29 Apr 2013, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 03:56

Shivaxi wrote:First of all...I KNOW a line spark is not ACTUALLY a line. But it's not like I can just make some really bright little dot and have it move really fast and it's gonna look like a line on your screen. That ain't gonna happen. Our eyes perceive it as a line because it's so fuckin bright it burns into our eyes a bit...like looking at the sun. You look at the sun for a second, then look back down, and you still see an image of the sun burned into your eyes. I can't replicate BRIGHTNESS in a VIDEO GAME because I can only get as bright as pure white. And it's not actually bright because everyone's monitors and brightness levels are completely different and it's not like Unreal has HDR lighting or anything lol. So I HAVE to make an ACTUAL line in order to replicate the effect.

I never said you need to accurately simulate physics in an ancient video game. I said, very clearly, that the textures should look different to better simulate how sparks actually look.

Second of all...the first picture you posted...there's no fading on either end of those sparks, plus only like 10% look bright hot white in the middle. Most of them look exactly like mine actually...bright yellow in the middle surrounded by orange. The fading on my sparks is to help the darker orange stand out more and to look smooth. Also you can't actually notice it unless taking screenshots like I did. Plus, the glow is a nice effect..which again is to simulate brightness. Those screenshots you posted dont show a glow on the sparks because cameras dont pick that up like our eyes do.

So deal with it :P

The glows you've put on there are unnecessary at best and look weird at worst, and the line textures don't look like actual sparks. That's my two cents.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 09:05

What I noticed in Waff's last picture, was the fact that the long lines hit the ground and become little dots. I don't know if this is what's happening, but I'd suggest doing the same with your sparks.
Personally I don't see any problem with the line textures, maybe make some randomisation between thickness etc.
CC

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 14:10

Captain Clark wrote:What I noticed in Waff's last picture, was the fact that the long lines hit the ground and become little dots. I don't know if this is what's happening, but I'd suggest doing the same with your sparks.
Personally I don't see any problem with the line textures, maybe make some randomisation between thickness etc.
CC

That's because actual sparks are nothing more than little dots which are moving so fast our brain interprets them as lines. When they slow down enough, you can see them as what they are: little hot balls of metal. Then they cool off VERY fast and stop glowing within seconds.

Aslye

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 20:36

Is that possible to make for UT99 this mutator?

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 22:00

Given how fabulously the UT Community SDK by Shadow enhances UT's visual capability, it certainly is POSSIBLE to use that pack's features as a replacement for 227's, but it's up to Shivaxi to decide whether it's feasible for him.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 22:30

It is possible, but would require a complete remake of every single weapon's particles since I'm pretty sure the UT99 SDK effects are entirely different from 227's built-in emitters and the like.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 22:41

Waffnuffly wrote:It is possible, but would require a complete remake of every single weapon's particles since I'm pretty sure the UT99 SDK effects are entirely different from 227's built-in emitters and the like.

If I recall, dots made a UT version of 227's emitters (too lazy to link, sorry :() so it would be totally possible to port it to UT, but as Delacroix said, it would be a totally different situation if he wanted to use the UT SDK's emitters

User avatar PromiserOfDeath
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 07 May 2013, 00:11

Quick Question, is the DP almost done?

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 07 May 2013, 01:06

Nope. No time to do stuff now. Got a life.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 May 2013, 16:58

Well the DP is done in terms of all the projectiles and effects. The new DP model however, is not complete. I'm going to release HDWeps v0.6 today since it doesn't look like we'll be getting 227j any time soon, so I will have to revert some changes I made to make HDWeps v0.6 work with 227i users.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 May 2013, 22:01

HDWeps v0.6 released on next page...

see what i did there?
Last edited by Shivaxi on 07 May 2013, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Previous Next