Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Unreal Editor 2 and OldSkool

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Repzik
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Unreal Editor 2 and OldSkool

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 06:30

To make a Single Player map for Old Skool in UE2, do I have to configure something before I make the map? Like in the settings? Or do I just make the map and then configure whatever settings? If there are any settings I need to make to make an OldSkool map, what are they?
"Congratulations. Looks like not only did you manage to get dropped right in the middle of hell but you picked a bad day in hell besides."

User avatar Repzik
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 06:32

I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong spot. I thought I clicked on another forum. My internet was messing up right when I posted that.
"Congratulations. Looks like not only did you manage to get dropped right in the middle of hell but you picked a bad day in hell besides."

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 07:33

No preconfig other than install Oldskool. If there's more than 1 map you'll eventually want to make a mappack actor so it displays as a pack instead of many in custom maps.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 16:25

Set the map's default gametype to oldskool.singleplayer2 and you're all set. :tup:
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 17:08

Hellscrag wrote:Set the map's default gametype to oldskool.singleplayer2 and you're all set. :tup:

Oh I didn't know that either.. I thought there was a regular singleplayer gametype already...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 17:23

Darkon wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Set the map's default gametype to oldskool.singleplayer2 and you're all set. :tup:

Oh I didn't know that either.. I thought there was a regular singleplayer gametype already...

There is (unreali.singleplayer), but if you want the map to launch UT into Oldskool mode (with access to the save game function and the score board etc) when opening the map from Windows or using the "Open" command in UT, you should use the Oldskool version of the gametype.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 18:54

Hellscrag wrote:There is (unreali.singleplayer), but if you want the map to launch UT into Oldskool mode (with access to the save game function and the score board etc) when opening the map from Windows or using the "Open" command in UT, you should use the Oldskool version of the gametype.

That will force players to grab Oldskool though, not sure if for a single map it's worth adding Oldskool into the zip...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 19:27

XYZ8000 wrote:That will force players to grab Oldskool though, not sure if for a single map it's worth adding Oldskool into the zip...

The existing single player gametype isn't well supported by UT. Most players of SP would have Oldskool anyway, so it might just be worth adding "Requires Oldskool" to the readme and maybe providing a link to a site where it can be downloaded.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 20:03

Hellscrag wrote:... it might just be worth adding "Requires Oldskool" to the readme...

I doubt if people will read the readme.. I personally never do. :P
However, you usually need oldskool, so most people will have it anyway.. will have to agree with you there! :tup:

BCL
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008, 20:21

Just a quick update for folks who might be new to the editor and are having trouble getting this to work (like I was a few minutes ago!!).

To set the maps default gametype you need to view the Level Properties. This is found in the View menu, or has a default shortcut key of F6. Under the LevelInfo tab is a DefaultGameType field. This should be set to Class'oldskool.SinglePlayer2' . If you click in this field a selection box (with ...) will appear. You can click on this and the actor browser will come up. Select the Info/GameInfo/UnrealGameInfo/SinglePlayer2 actor. Close the actor window, and in the DefaultGameType field hit the use button. The Class'oldskool.SinglePlayer2' will appear in the field, and you are set to go. The level will now appear in the New Single Player Game/Custom Maps menu.

I had forgotten about setting the Game Type option in the Level Properties. I was simply adding a SinglePlayer2 actor to the level, thinking that would set the game type. But all's well that ends well, and I got a simple test single player level to work.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008, 02:17

Hey, welcome to the forums, BCL.

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008, 04:43

Darkon wrote:I doubt if people will read the readme.. I personally never do. :P

I bet to the point where something doesn't work :p
UTSP is more or less likely to be assumed run in OldSkool except w/ maps that have prefixes like SP4UT or something.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008, 15:25

Just link to Oldskool's download page when you release the project and mention that you'll need it if you don't already have it. I'd be surprised if anyone who has been playing UT SP for more than a month doesn't have it, though.

BCL
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008, 04:57

GTD-Carthage wrote:Hey, welcome to the forums, BCL.

Thanks, it's good to be here. I'm looking forward to making some single player maps for Old Skool. Unreal was the first FPS game I actually finished and enjoyed. I started as a "turn based" computer wargamer (Age of Rifles, Civil war Generals), but in 2001 I finally got a powerful enough computer to play FPSs and tried a few. Unreal was my favorite for two reasons. First, it had an easy way of changing the game speed, so my "less than lightning" reflexes could actually play it (I set the speed at 65% years ago, now when I play Unreal custom levels or the game again I'm up to 75% speed). Second, I liked the atmosphere, enemies, and environments. Of the "Big Three" FPS games of 1998 (Unreal, Half-Life, and Sin), Unreal is my favorite (I've actually never finished Half-Life - it's a good game, but not my style - the endless "solve puzzle to open door" routine is not to my liking).

But anyway, thinking about it, the reason I had trouble getting Old Skool to work was because I'm used to the LithTech (F.E.A.R.) editor. There, if you want to change the default game type (from SP to Multiplayer) you add a WorldProperties actor and set the game type. I just assumed that adding the "SinglePlayer2" actor would change the game type. Alas, the curse of having used more than one editor!

I've been reading the "UT3 and single player maps & mods" post and have to agree with many of the comments as to why using an "older" engine (like UT Old Skool) is still a good idea for folks. Modern engines require a massive amount of art effort that just isn't practical for many of us as a hobby. Also, as I've been playing Unreal again (twice in the last three months and a number of custom levels) and I'm enjoying the art styles of it. Sure it's not photorealistic, but Unreal is still a beautiful game, and has a great style. After all, Bugs Bunny and South Park aren't photorealistic, but they're still fun to watch. As a game, the style of WOW is quite popular, even though it's not photorealistic.

Now I'm just making small test levels to get used to how things work. I'll confess I'm not a fan of UT BSP editing (I made a "fancy" floor using many different pieces - and ended up discovering that I would fall through portions of it). With the practice levels I'm getting used to what can be done, and plan to start on a real SP level soon. I used to make levels for the 3rd person Quake game Heavy Metal FAKK 2 (not my favorite game, but a great editor and fun to use), but alas, there is no community for it, so I stopped. I made about 6 levels over the course of a year, so I suspect if I follow the same pattern it will be a level every two months. I plan to start my first level in March, so will have something done in May (it won't be massive, but it will work - short and sweet).

There are still some older games that have active communities, so hopefully Unreal SP mapping will be around for a while. It might not be "cutting edge", but it can still be fun. The Tomb Raider mapping community puts out 5 or 6 new user maps a month - this on an editor that is "moderately" painful to use (I'm a 3rd person fan, so I've even tried making Tomb Raider maps). Just cause an engine is old, doesn't mean people can't enjoy using it.

I might be a late entrant to the Unreal mapping community, bit I hope I can still make stuff folks will enjoy.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008, 15:48

zYnthetic wrote:
Darkon wrote:I doubt if people will read the readme.. I personally never do. :P

I bet to the point where something doesn't work :p

Yep: FIRST try out... and then if it doesn't work, get the manual/readme out.. :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Next