Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Modeling thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Modeling thread

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 07:15

WhirlWindWabbit wrote:"go with the least amount of distortion"

Very fucking true. But I always applied to this when it comes to BIG and VISIBLE parts. If I'm unwrapping small details... Well, you've seen it above. You just need to find a centre between distortions and islanding. Too many distortions is bad, as well as huge amount of islands.

As it comes to overlapping, I'm a Texture Baker. I render textures from highpolys. It sometimes get borked when I overlap faces. That's why I tend not to do it.

And you're welcome.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 13:52

What's the deal with ambient occlusion, anyway? Isn't it just the same if you overlay the AO map onto your diffuse?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 16:54

What's a diffuse? :P Shit, I've got SO MUCH i still need to learn. Gonna look it up now :)

But if I understand correctly, ambient occlusion... erm.. I don't understand correctly :P I though it was sort of self-illuminated or something.

What? :B

I told you I've got a ton of stuff to learn :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

diamond

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 17:03

WhirlWindWabbit wrote:What's a diffuse? :P Shit, I've got SO MUCH i still need to learn. Gonna look it up now :)

But if I understand correctly, ambient occlusion... erm.. I don't understand correctly :P I though it was sort of self-illuminated or something.

What? :B

I told you I've got a ton of stuff to learn :D

Google it before asking dumb questions. It was really worthless to write such questions. Googling for answers (even with understanding them) would take less time than typing that post.

P.S. Writing this reply was worthless either...
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 17:06

WhirlWindWabbit wrote:Gonna look it up now :)

:tup:

diamond wrote:P.S. Writing this reply was worthless either...

Yeah, it was pretty worthless :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

diamond

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 17:20

@qtit:
Can't figure why you are using this approach (bottom right UV island) instead of more usual and straight-forward (upper left UV island).
Your approach consumes more UV space (you see, you can't add purple islands doing so) and leads to UV stretches. It is completely worthless to try to avoid seams on hard 90 degree edges as they are unnoticeable.

And, as for me I am against stretches because I do paint most of my textures. And if you'll try to add some details to stretched textures in Photoshop, well, it'll be a pain even to draw a straight line.

About overlapping. Well, because I'm more texture painter than baker, I love overlapping. You simply don't have to draw or copy/paste the same things in Photoshop.

Nevertheless, interesting approach you use!

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 17:57

That was a quick automatic stacking. I combine all of those really. When I get my hands to my models with UV maps there I'll show you a masterpiece. XD

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 18:27

sana wrote:What's the deal with ambient occlusion, anyway? Isn't it just the same if you overlay the AO map onto your diffuse?

Well, I tend to use a scene AO as it has a filter on it (no need to set 320 samples to get a smooth effect on big textures) and it is much faster... The AO map I use for Dirt. Making corners dirty. With a variance map (noise) it looks better this way. and with scene AO I have bounces, so light is reflective. I just bake a Diffuse Map with scene AO.

What is AO? It's a light'n shadow based on the atmosphere lighting. More less. So, it's a light which is emited from everywhere. It is also the reflection of light from surfaces, sometimes emissive materials... Stuff like that. A simple example is here:
A scene with no AO. Simple ambient light and a second directional light with simple raytraced shadows. Looks kind of... Lame.
With Amabient Occlusion...
...it looks different. You can see that this map simulates (fakes really) shadows from the atmosphere lighting.

I use AO maps for dirt:
I don't need to comment on that I guess. It's visible. For white I set bright texture, for black I set dark texture and I play with contrast and color (2 minutes scene so sorry for lame effect :<)

Let's do the materials then.

Diffuse is the basic color of a material. Basically it's no lighting color map. I bake it with AO... But that's me.

Specular map (in Max and Maya there's bunch of them) calculates the gloss, light reflection of a material. So, if a material is hiny, the white areas on the textures will reflect the light making it ovebrighten, dark will be matte.
Image - That's a bump map really, but I use it for Specs here also XD

Now, self Illumination map. It's how the material is glowing. Setting a diffuse map as a Illum map made the scene look like this:

Now bump map. It fakes the... Hm, 'bumps' of a material. If you're creating a rough material bump is the thing you're looking for. It makes the detail (now ppl tend to use Normal Maps instead which in my opinion is a crime. Normal maps are for something totally different) It works like this: White pixels of a map simulates the parts of a surface that are sticking out, darker onces are holes.

Opacity / Transparency map is a map which makes the material see through. Black is totally see through, white is solid... No images here as it is quite simple.

Normal Maps. My favourite. They look quite scary really at first...
But when you get to know what the hell is that fucker supposed to do, it becomes easy. Let's look at the color channels of the Normal Map:
The Blue channel tells the GPU which pixels are planar to the camera. Green channels checks which pixels are rotated on the Y axis, Red is the X axis. This way it can simulate a 3 dimensional effect on a planar polygon. It is commonly used as a bump map, which is quite stupid, as it's capabilities are enormous.

Reflection map...

And a Displace Map. Displace Map can be used to achieve a Tesselation effect. It works like a bump map with this difference that it doesn't affect pixels of a map but VERTICLES... So it displaces the verticles along a surfaces normal (normal is the way in which a face is rotated to... or something). Anyways, with a map like this:
...you can do something like this:
But notice the polycount. 160k XD

Now, let's combine all textures except Reflection and Displace.
Tada!

Now, there's something called Parallax Mapping. But this one is much more complicated. It uses a Normal Map combined with Displace Map to displace pixels of a texture depending on the camera rotation to a face normal. That's a hard one but when well designed it can create a really, really neat effect. Crisis used it for terrain pebbles.
Details are here:
http://seithcg.com/wordpress/?page_id=239

OH!!!!

diamond wrote:@qtit:
Can't figure why you are using this approach (bottom right UV island) instead of more usual and straight-forward (upper left UV island).

Two reasons. Sometimes I don't want to break the seamless of a map for a shader creation. When I create shaders like for scratches or dirt in Photoshop the upper one makes it difficult to preserve the seamlessles (?) of the shader texture.

Lets say I'm making a scratch shader.
So, white is my shader. Green is the UV map of a box. On the left it is seamless so when I make a shader it fits perfectly to the box. No visible texture cuts. On the right tho, the red edges of a map are... well, different. Then, in a game, scene, Texture Cuts are visible.

Second is... I'm used to do it that way. I was making textures at time when Baked Texture Padding was, well, fucked in Max. Then there were black stripes visible where the UV ended on a map... Long story.

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 20:47

I am thoroughly impressed by your knowledge :tup: How long have you been doing this anyway? Did you learn everything by yourself?
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 20:53

Yea, I'm a self learner. I started with 3D Studio 3. It was a DOS version... I think I was 9 then :<
I don't remember really. I never tried to do anything particular. Always played with stuff. Materials, fog, animation, effects... So that's why my modeling is not so professional as I'd like it to be... anyways, 15 years. With some breaks. So lets make it 12. But it wasn't intense. XD

Here are some things I made for MinerWars dev. Kaka showed his stuff, so I'll show mine. Tho I dunno if it's legal with MW Eula... Whatever. Later I'll just remove those. Therese were supposed to be warning plates. They are low poly with 1024x1024 textures. Diff, Spec, Normal and Illumination.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 21:03

Those look like some seriously awesome decos :tup:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 21:14

Oh, and I know there's a type-o (explisives). There's no typo-e on the model tho... XD

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010, 06:46

Wow, 12 years :tup: Awesome :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 04:43

Hate to interrupt all these SUPER GODDAMN TALENTED PEOPLE showing their amazing stuff, but I just finished this thing! (Actual model used ingame; it's around 2600 tris, so fairly high-poly, but you won't run into many at once)

Image Image Image

It's an automated hovering drone for EXU. It will sorta fly around on patrol in the air until it spots you. At that point, it will descend and land nearby. Then it will start spitting out Gasbags indefinitely by drawing on the compressed soul energy in its tanks. GREAT.

If you destroy the drone mid-air or when it lands, its tanks will explode and spray out a GIGANTIC cloud of Gasbags. That's not good. Well, not in the short term. But, if you damage it just enough, it won't detonate AND it will stop spawning Gasbags, making it harmless... assuming nothing else nearby blows it up the rest of the way. :P

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010, 11:14

I like crazy things like that which break the rule of "shoot it, kill it".

Nice model too. :tup:

Previous Next