Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Is there a special way to select an entire portion of a map?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Is there a special way to select an entire portion of a map?

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010, 16:15

Hi, fellas, got a problem here. Let's say I've got this room in a map which I wish to duplicate, meaning I want another room exactly like this one but located elsewhere in the same map. Now it would be a hassle if this room consisted of lots of brushes, actors etc and I had to painstakingly select them all one by one before duplicating.

My question: is there a faster way of selecting, as in dragging your cursor across the screen so a rectangle appears and selects everything inside of it?

Help, please? Thanks!

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010, 16:40

yes there is!

but i dont remember off hand....so ima open up the UED now and figure it out lol

EDIT: Ah right. In any of the 2D view browsers (preferably the top view one), hold down ctrl and alt at the same time, and drag a box around the room u wanna copy. It will select everything for ya, then u can simply copy paste :wink:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

DavidM
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010, 18:11

use the vertex tool
hold ctrl+alt
drag a box around everything you want to select

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010, 18:17

It worked! Thanks, fellas! :tup:

(Wonder how I could have forgotten it...)

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010, 03:52

Don't select the vertex tool (I don't know why for), but just the two keys while dragging will do.

But be carefull, because sometimes it screws with the perfect grid alignment, set the grid to ONE unit.
Then build the map, and move again later.

Also if you really want to get sexxy about it, open up another instance of UED, and you can do some cool edit monuvors with two editors running.
Open the same map, then delete it all, build the free pace, and paste away.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010, 04:29

redeye wrote:Don't select the vertex tool (I don't know why for), but just the two keys while dragging will do.

But be carefull, because sometimes it screws with the perfect grid alignment, set the grid to ONE unit.
Then build the map, and move again later.

Also if you really want to get sexxy about it, open up another instance of UED, and you can do some cool edit monuvors with two editors running.
Open the same map, then delete it all, build the free pace, and paste away.

If your alignment gets unsnapped from the grid, select a vertex--any vertex--that is supposed to be snapped to the grid by right-clicking it. Bam, snapped at that vertex. The rest of the selection will be moved as well.

And you can't use the selection in vertex mode because that is only for moving vertices on brushes, not selecting them. And be careful if you do use vertex editing mode: that shit causes microscopic misalignments and hairline fractures in the BSP that can come bite you in the ass later. Half of the BSP problems I had in TLF were caused by use of that fucking tool. I'm never using it again unless it saves me an immense amount of time and it doesn't fuck up the geometry.

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010, 16:58

I've been doing vertex editing quite often (very convenient for resizing brushes) and I've been real careful (by always doing a 'transform permanently' on the modified brushes, for instance). But the advice is still appreciated, Waff. :wink:

As a rule I very seldom go for 1 unit for my grid. I always try to use a 16-unit grid as far as possible.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010, 17:30

What does the transform permenently function do, cause I've never used it?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010, 18:54

jetv435 wrote:What does the transform permenently function do, cause I've never used it?

It removes all scaling, rotation and translation data from the brush, but without changing its shape or position. It creates cleaner BSP, but resets all texture alignment data.
Life is what you make of it.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010, 19:28

jetv435 wrote:What does the transform permenently function do, cause I've never used it?

Also keeps rotten BSP holes at bay (hopefully)
Just ban everyone