A random sentence for a random mind.

Rise of USP

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2009, 23:48

No I'm only going to use Xidia Gold, 7B and Deja Vu in messages like 'shipment of Xidia Gold, 22% ready'.

At this rate I'll be done quite quickly! A picture of the entrance lobby:

:tup:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 02:16

Creavion wrote:Generally you are right. But not everybody takes things such easy. A certain guy from the ONP crew for example. He would surely take you to court for using ONP stuff for your projects if it is not an ONP custom map. At least I can remember old times where he said something like that. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know which court he was referring to that would bother to hear the case :lol:

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 06:04

I think it's an...unconventional idea. But hey, parody packs are a rarity as it is, so go for it. :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 11:08

Mister_Prophet wrote:I think it's an...unconventional idea. But hey, parody packs are a rarity as it is, so go for it. :tup:

Yep. Unconventional. But who wants to hear the repetitive 'land on Na Pali...Kill Skaarj' routine again? I thought I'd go for something different.

The map is progressing strangely... Just when it get some serious tactical credibility, I muck it up with some random USP themed translator message.

And I have decided to cast myself as the main villain. :twisted:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 14:35

Mission update: Day 2.

I've started making use of the Y-axis (or X-axis, whichever one means up) and have put in the main elevator to the next floor.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 14:53

You're looking for "Z axis". :P
Good luck on the project! I like your enthusiasm and the way you seem to actually get things done (unlike me).
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar aalien
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 14:54

This sounds really interesting :)
I look forward to see the final result :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 15:58

As you're all being such helpful and, uh... *insert some pleasing word, e.g kind or considerate* people I'll give you this in game screenshot of me in someone's office. Or, place, with lots of crates in.

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 22:15

Phwew! Now I know what hard work is! :P

This map has upgraded into a pack, considering my first map has gotten rather large and complex. And finished. :D

I'm done for today. And I will unfortunately have no contact with unreal 'till friday, except for tomorrow morning. Don't worry, I can still chat to you on this site. :)

I will update the first post to contain more details about the pack.

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009, 20:14

Right... I said the first map was done, but it might need a total gameplay overhaul.

The second map is started, and I will lose the clean work office fell and switch into a grimy industrial approach for the top floor of the building (I asume I don't like cleaners coming to my office in this game).

Hmm. I would post a level 2 screenshot, but it doesn't look really interesting so far.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:16

I did have to copy a few brushes from other maps I'm afraid, the Bounds of Foundry Skaarj ship (I have no idea how to make complex things like that) and the Vortex Rikers chair (I'm terrible at proportioning furniture, see below image).

This is my attempt at making a chair for an earlier work (now deleted), and it turned out to be massive:
Whoops.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:26

Are those yellow strings a bunch of keyboard textures? Other than being really ugly to see, they make zero sense (one keyboard is just enough). Would be better if you expand the purple monitors above them.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:31

UBerserker wrote:Are those yellow strings a bunch of keyboard textures? Other than being really ugly to see, they make zero sense (one keyboard is just enough). Would be better if you expand the purple monitors above them.

Yes they're keyboards. Yes the screens look bad. Yes it's rubbish. Read this bit of the message:

Legendslayer222 wrote:This is my attempt at making a chair for an earlier work (now deleted)

The picture was there only to prove how bad I am at making chairs.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:40

You can get a lot better at proportioning and realistic detail just by looking at real things and trying to imitate them. Don't go solely based on your imagination at first; you need to get a sense of how things look in the real world, THEN apply your imagination to make them unique.

Like that office shot you showed; there's literally nothing in it but a desk. I've never seen such a huge, barren office before; instead, go based on something like this:

http://www.dprinc.com/images/projects/l ... _Lobby.jpg

or this:

http://ideasforthewall.com/images/OfficeInterior.jpg

Looks a lot better and is still very simple to make. Just Google image search for stuff like "corporate office lobby" or "store room" or whatever to see how it's done in real life, and then apply similar designs in your maps.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 16:18

Good idea, Waffnuffly. I was thinking of putting in some plant pots anyway. :tup:

In the meantime, this is a shot of how the helipad up top is shaping out.

Previous Next