Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

(Old) General Discussion Thread

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:08

where did all those rules come from? i'd say setting a time limit (e.g. 6 weeks) is enough of a limitation, everything else should be up to the mappers. regardless of custom content involved the mapper's product remains a map, and that should be a fitting entry into a mapping contest. if you want to avoid people uploading 2gb packages of shit you can surely deduce points from the map score for sloppy package handling or something.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:14

Hellscrag wrote:Where has all this "maps must not be self-contained" stuff come from? It's like a sickness that has permeated this thread and now can't be got rid of.

I must have misread something.

This might give me the opportunity to finish a standalone single map I've had lingering around for a year (but only managed to make one or two rooms for). However, if I decided to finish it for the anniversary, I'd have to break a few of the rules by using a custom texture set and using some custom scripts/gametypes.

Although I do like the idea of making a vanilla "stock content only" map. I've never actually made one, so I would be quite interested to see what would result.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:24

I'll be back with a revised set of rules tomorrow based on the discussion here.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:25

I should mention, though, that this map I have planned would only be using textures from a single texture set. Albeit, a custom one.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 08:09

sana wrote:where did all those rules come from? i'd say setting a time limit (e.g. 6 weeks) is enough of a limitation, everything else should be up to the mappers. regardless of custom content involved the mapper's product remains a map, and that should be a fitting entry into a mapping contest. if you want to avoid people uploading 2gb packages of shit you can surely deduce points from the map score for sloppy package handling or something.

Yes either this or absolute NO custom content.
However, everybody is allowed to use plant mesh content from my Kamah. Isnt that an offer? And this stuff is myleveld so no additional U file is requiered.

And if we are using custom textures we could agree among ourself to use mostly 256 x 256 textures and only in some special cases 512 x 512 textures. Maybe you know, textures are the most reason for big file sizes.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 09:26

I have another question: Does the map have to be coop compatible?

I would forbid all custom content so that everybody has the same chances. Maybe someone can make something really different out of the hundred times used texures...?

@prize: The winner's name could get a different colour and somewhere you can read "8th anniversary contest winner"...
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 12:26

I've been planning ahead and came up with a story I could pull off in one map. Looking forward to give it a go :o

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 12:47

So uhm, i'm in :o

Just a question about the rules: are we limited to unrealed or are other mapping tools allowed? just asking because i mostly create my maps in 3ds or autocad.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 15:27

Im in and I'm bulidnig my map in mostly 3ds, don't think that's a problem.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 20:01

And in the middle of a multitude of confusing rules...

Hellscrag wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Can't wait to criticize all of your stuff when it'll be done.

Are you putting yourself forward as a judge?

At least that's the only thing I'll do for this.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 20:49

An amended set of rules, now slightly less prescriptive...

UnrealSP.Org Eighth Anniversary Speedmapping Competition

Rules

Entries that don't comply with these rules may not be considered for the contest.

1. All maps must be built from scratch within the six week period of the contest. - While we would like to let you use an existing incomplete map as a base, it wouldn't be fair on the other contestants. However, if your existing incomplete map only consists of a couple of rooms, then it is probably acceptable - please discuss with the judges and the other entrants before proceeding.

2. Do not start building the map before the contest officially commences. - Although planning / sketching / brainstorming ideas is acceptable.

3. All entries must be playable on Unreal 226 or UT 436 without additional engine modifications. - This is so that everybody can have a level playing field. UT entries should utilise Oldskool. The use of external applications such as 3DS to build your map is fine as long as compatibility is maintained. Do not build your map in Unreal 227 if it will render it unplayable in Unreal 226 or UT 436.

4. All maps must be standalone, playable single player maps using stock Unreal / UT pawns and weapons. - This also means that map should have a proper level exit or ending sequence. It shouldn't just "stop" without explanation.

5. There is no restriction on entries' setting or storyline.

6. If your entry spans multiple maps, they should be properly linked together, including by build. - Otherwise they may be considered as separate entries.

7. Entrants should be willing, if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work, for their maps to be compiled into a larger map pack or compilation distributed by UnrealSP.Org.

Guidelines

These are not binding rules, but failure to work within these guidelines may count against you winning the contest. Among other things, they are designed to minimise filesize, promote technical tidiness and put the emphasis on mapping skill over knowledge of other available assets.

Use of Prefabs

Limited use of decorative prefab brushes is acceptable. However, they should be prefabs either of your own design or taken from stock Unreal / UT maps.

Importing Custom Content

Custom code, textures, music, sound and meshes made specifically for the contest are acceptable.

Otherwise, try to find appropriate textures, music, sound and meshes in the stock Unreal / UT selection before looking elsewhere. Any custom content NOT made specifically for the contest should be made available for other contestants to download. Try to limit yourself to a couple of custom packages per entry to avoid creating hugely bloated downloads that would also make later compilation of all the entries into a single, tidy download unfeasible.

As stated under the rules, engine mods should be avoided. This is first and foremost a mapping contest, not a showcase for the latest fanmade addons to the engine, and exploiting engine mods to elevate your map would be unfair to contestants who have not had the chance to explore them.

Submission

Send a link to Hellscrag by e-mail or forum PM. Small zip files can also be e-mailed direct to Hellscrag. This is so that an initial check of the map can be carried out before it is distributed to the rest of the community.

Assessment

Maps will be assessed by a panel of judges and given a score out of 10, and the map that receives the highest average score will be the winner. A full and detailed assessment against the UnrealSP.Org review schema will not be required; however, the criteria listed on the schema will act as broad determinants of quality. Judges will not be barred from submitting maps to the contest, as their submissions can be assessed by the other judges on the panel.

The Prize

Erm... kudos? I would welcome suggestions. At present, I can't think of anything in particular, except possibly for:
  • An UnrealSP.Org e-mail address; or
  • The opportunity to lead on compiling all of the submissions into a map pack.

(Now welcoming any volunteers to be judges! Judges will need to be willing to play all of the submissions at the end of the contest and award them scores, feeding their scores back to me within a period of about two weeks of the close of the contest. I am happy to put myself forward as a judge.)
Last edited by Hellscrag on 14 Jun 2009, 22:55, edited 3 times in total.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 21:24

Sorry to drop in late on the post. But what about if you make the map using the 227 UED? We should be allowed to use the content and abilities that 227 provides. (etc rain or lightning or dynamic zones....like have a room fill up with water...that kinda stuff)

Also, does it have to be a coop map? What about a DM map? :P

Sorry if these questions have been answered...don't have time atm to go through all the posts.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 21:32

Any custom content NOT made specifically for the contest should be made available for other contestants to download.

Haha.. good thing that I have already done it. All right. :rolleyes:
So you can count me in!
Edit: Again I offer here Wheel of Time texture package:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U9ZKST24
http://filefactory.com/file/ag6g3bc/n/WoTNature_rar

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 21:48

Shivaxi wrote:Sorry to drop in late on the post. But what about if you make the map using the 227 UED? We should be allowed to use the content and abilities that 227 provides. (etc rain or lightning or dynamic zones....like have a room fill up with water...that kinda stuff)

Also, does it have to be a coop map? What about a DM map? :P

Sorry if these questions have been answered...don't have time atm to go through all the posts.

227 features leave us too much of an advantage over entries made for 226/UT's engines + the contest is about SP maps
227 maps should prolly be compatible with 226 if you don't use 227-exclusive features
Last edited by ividyon on 14 Jun 2009, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 21:52

I don't think anyone could give a crap if someone who feels like god make use of useless special effects in their maps.
ImageImage

Previous Next