Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Enslaved

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Enslaved

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 02:28

DONE!!!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?moqdmw2qlr2

///EDIT

I had to reupload file because there was a bug which made impossible finishing the map - if its too late i will understand :tup:

Commentaries!

Well, it has been quite fun to create this map. The concept changed during the dev process ( time, time, time, and my wife in 9th month of pregnancy :) ), but it eneded up quite nicely - especially the trees and grass, which I think give this map an unique feeling, thanks to them locations look warm, and with those cool sounds Unreal comes with, they seem quite alive. It's rubish when you open the editor , see how brushes are messed up, some of them badly intersected/deintersected, there are bsp holes, I have no idea where they come from ( you know those which appear after the full rebuild and then dissappear after another?? Of course they appear later on again ) and some other stuff which I won't mention, don't want to end up as a noob lol. The map HAS a story yes - just follow the LOGS ( hey it's Unreal, it's always about the logs you genius!), maybe not the Oscar scenario, but its a good start for something bigger ( of course it will be significantly tweaked for the final release later on). All in all it was a speedmaping contest soo don't expect a Residual Decay stuff here!

When I started to think how this map should look like i found an ol concept of mine somewhere in my 'concept garabge can', it was epic, huge and something really fresh. Then I thought, six weeks is not enough, so i cut most of the ideas, replaned the build, threw out all those over ambitious ideas... end ended up with an average, but still cool Unreal map. It has all Unreal had, some locations you can but mustn't explore, cool new tree models and stuff. Another six weeks would make this map a small mod with better everything, and lots of new stuff but rules are rules, so I opened my EDd and staretd carving.

It's been years since I have first opened UEd, so what I ended up with is preety much what I expected, I would improve lights etc but time...Like I said it's an average Unreal map, with nothing special in it so it was just add/substract thing with some 3ds uber low poly modeling of the terrain. Though I must say I'm really proud of the trees I made, they fit well to this theme, they're ,ade bug free as well ( liar, I'll fix a small little UWV bug later on :P ) so tat's what I'm really happy with.

Nothing more to add, enjoy, and wait for the finall verison if you liked it!
Last edited by Kaka on 03 Aug 2009, 03:52, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 02:42

Needs UI plants!!! Quick, UPLOAD!!! :P
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 02:43

In the location with skaarj vessel floating above the ground there's a cave entrance - you will need to ghost through it ( not the whole cave, only the portal), can't figure out what causes an invisible wall there. Anyway, it blocks only platers and pawns, it doesn't bloock projectiles. Enjoy! :P

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 15:59

"missing infadds"...?

Flunders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 16:11

I'm missing that too.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 17:06

ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 17:43

UBerserker wrote:Infadds.u? Here it is...

http://filebeam.com/e3411f66ac67ebfda7e878aee9f594dd

thanks! It worked!
Played some of it with D3D10... got some disco lights here and there (driver issue?) and when you get out of the first part and look back and move back and forward, the entrance disappears, leaving a black hole.. moving again and it's back. Other than that.. it looks grat, but it makes my laptop superslow. Dunno if it's a Vista issue.... :(

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 18:59

I was looking forwards to this, but I was kind of dissapointed with the result. Place looks really good, as I knew it woud, but there were bsp holes in everything. I could walk through one wall that could skip a section, & the place with the boarded up door & the Krall, I could fall through the bridge leading to it. Had to cheat to get across. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't fully comment. Another issue I had was the weapons. I didn't get an Automag for ages, & a DP with flat battery is no good for taking out Brutes. Even through all the glitches, the area looks AMAZING. The whole environment looks really rich, shame I couldn't enjoy it due to my constant lack of firearms. I was only playing it on medium (or at least, the default difficulty).

3/5 Thumbs up
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tdown: :tdown:

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 19:22

Legendslayer222 wrote:I was looking forwards to this, but I was kind of dissapointed with the result. Place looks really good, as I knew it woud, but there were bsp holes in everything. I could walk through one wall that could skip a section, & the place with the boarded up door & the Krall, I could fall through the bridge leading to it. Had to cheat to get across. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't fully comment. Another issue I had was the weapons. I didn't get an Automag for ages, & a DP with flat battery is no good for taking out Brutes. Even through all the glitches, the area looks AMAZING. The whole environment looks really rich, shame I couldn't enjoy it due to my constant lack of firearms. I was only playing it on medium (or at least, the default difficulty).

3/5 Thumbs up
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tdown: :tdown:

Ye I klnow about all those holes tried everything - didn't work. Glad you liked the looks, and ye - maybe it's a little bit rough in the begining when it comes to gameplay :tup:

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 19:49

at first I thought I wouldn't get any weapons at all lol, but later I got a lot of them, anyway. The main issue was the Map bugs..
First out was the bridge that legend told you about, then the Lift in the foggy area, it behaved like the bridge, you fell through it and about 2/3 up the lift there is an invisible wall prevent anything to get trough.
Talking about invisible walls there is one covering the cave entrance where the Skaarj ship looking thingy is.
And the lift down to the portal for the Skaarj home world that went down till it met it's end AND THEN it totally WENT back in high speed ignoring its original way points going back to 0 again trough the wall and everything, looked hilarious.
And talking about Hilarious, There is a translator error near the end where you need to push the button to open the big door after you kill the Behemoth and Skaarjgunner, saying "Sexurity" instead of Security.
Talking about Translator spell errors, Before you walk up to the big portal there is this message saying Reday instead of Ready and before that there is one saying Tmorrow instead of Tomorrow.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 19:58

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:at first I thought I wouldn't get any weapons at all lol, but later I got a lot of them, anyway. The main issue was the Map bugs..
First out was the bridge that legend told you about, then the Lift in the foggy area, it behaved like the bridge, you fell through it and about 2/3 up the lift there is an invisible wall prevent anything to get trough.
Talking about invisible walls there is one covering the cave entrance where the Skaarj ship looking thingy is.
And the lift down to the portal for the Skaarj home world that went down till it met it's end AND THEN it totally WENT back in high speed ignoring its original way points going back to 0 again trough the wall and everything, looked hilarious.
And talking about Hilarious, There is a translator error near the end where you need to push the button to open the big door after you kill the Behemoth and Skaarjgunner, saying "Sexurity" instead of Security.
Talking about Translator spell errors, Before you walk up to the big portal there is this message saying Reday instead of Ready and before that there is one saying Tmorrow instead of Tomorrow.

O lol!! :tup: :tup: Well, that kind of stuff happens when you rushhehe :B lolAbout the lift - -forgot o set it to trigeronceonly, as for the bsp bugs i know about all of them but the one i mentioned in the readme( the cave entrance) i feel excused for because i mentioned iit in the readme so you shouldn't be surprised lol. Anyway, I'll fix all this stuff and reupload later on.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 19:59

After playing through all the maps.. I like this one the most by a long shot. 5/5 stars :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: . I think we have a winner.

Why? The layout is better than any other.. the gameplay is far more fun than any other. It is the most original and most humble to the mother game. And for people complaining about geometry bugs.... dude, he only had 6 weeks to make this... what do you expect?

A patch soon would be nice, but I'm not in any hurry (I completed the map with minimal problems).

Great job Kaka, you really took me back with this one. It felt like a true Unreal map and had that feeling to it. I wish more people could do what you did here.

I'm hoping to recreate that same feeling with my maps and honestly I envy what you did with your map. I already know if my map was completed in time, your map would have beat it too.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 20:02

jackrabbit wrote:After playing through all the maps.. I like this one the most by a long shot. 5/5 stars :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: . I think we have a winner.

Why? The layout is better than any other.. the gameplay is far more fun than any other. It is the most original and most humble to the mother game. And for people complaining about geometry bugs.... dude, he only had 6 weeks to make this... what do you expect?

A patch soon would be nice, but I'm not in any hurry (I completed the map with minimal problems).

Great job Kaka, you really took me back with this one. It felt like a true Unreal map and had that feeling to it. I wish more people could do what you did here.

Nice joke Jackrabbit!! Very funny!!! No, seriously this was unexpected but I'm glad you liked it, patch will fix all the bugs ( though the one with the lift is one of those 'wtf ufo bug'), and the next patch will make it I intended to, with more new pawns, stationary guns ( new) and stuff.

MartinW
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 20:33

I'm having trouble with the mediafire download. it doesn't start. no message about possible download limit or similar stuff.
anyone else having the same problem?

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:22

I think I've completed it, I hit a button & it said 'completed' so I guess I'm done. Have I?

The cave you said you needed to ghost through the entrance to completely dissapears while I'm inside it, lol.

I had great fun exploring, I went everywhere I could possibly go, it is a really really good map. The only thign stopping my from giving it five thumbs up is the unfair lack of weapons & ammo towards the beginning & the holes in everything. Thoroughly great place though, if I was a Nali I would want to live here. :tup: (Uh.. Without all the brutes though!)

Next