ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:13

Regarding the "fourth map:"

Yes, it is all my work, with the exception of a texture alignment problem Shiv helped me with. I am open to as much criticism as possible. I don't want a pat on the head, I want a better map. Now, Regarding what people have already said:

Lighting

I'm going through the process of... better-ing the lighting. I've just done some basics so far, Prophet's lighting tutorial really opened my eyes the first time I read it, very valuable information there. I have yet to color the lights up. Mines are built as inexpensively as possible, they are there for functionality and solely functionality, therefore the light fixtures should be cheap, sparsely placed, bright, and emit very colorful halogen/florescent glow. I do my research. I will also be completely changing up some of the fixtures, a lot of them are just subtracted cubes in the wall and that simply will not do. Regarding the screenshots, I put them all through the same Levels operation in photoshop without putting much thought into it, and it overexposed some of them. It looks quite good ingame. Jackrabbit, ambient light sucks. If you don't have contrast your lighting automatically sucks, end of story. I understand that rooms of certain buildings have even florescent lighting and there should be no shadows, but lighting is something that can be overly dramatized without looking silly. I prefer to take advantage of this.

Texturing

Yes, it's dumb. I need to completely change some of them, they just don't make sense in places. As someone said, "wooden floors and metal ceiling?" I know.

Stuff that was not criticized but needs fixing anyway

There isn't much maneuvering in the Z-axis. There are currently three stories, with very small sections where the elevation changes. This is dumb, because the fun part about being underground is that there is no "story" constraint. Mines should twist and turn, covering lots of area with tons of unused space between the walls. At the moment it's designed like a skyscraper. Again, dumb. Architecturally, it's a bore. There are some details, yes, but the floors are completely flat (some ramps even— it's horrid in places), and the walls have no trims or anything of the sort. With the exception of the reasonably detailed hallways up on the middle floor (4th screenshot), the general cutaway shape of the hallways is... well... rectangular. The whole thing needs serious work. In regards to sound, it's in progress. I feel sound is as important as anything else, and I really want the mine to sound alive. Huge pipes, old machinery, electricity pulsing through cables, all the timbres come together in an almost symphonic manner.

That's all

Helping Shiv is preparing me for my own mappack-in-progress. I need to know what works, what doesn't work, why it doesn't work, and how I can make it work. Again, please feel free to criticize everything I do.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 11:30

The amount of thought you put into your mapping is admirable and your post honestly made me look forward to playing the map and the announcement of your own campaign. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 16:45

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Helping Shiv is preparing me for my own mappack-in-progress.

Shh! I thought you weren't supposed to mention that! :P

Don't expect it anytime soon Sana...it's going to be quite a long work-in-progress.

And thanx Peanuts for clearing some things up. Your good with words....I'm not :/ I'm glad your finally back from Boston too....we have...er....matters...to discuss. (Grabs phone)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:09

LOL_PEANUT wrote:Jackrabbit, ambient light sucks. If you don't have contrast your lighting automatically sucks, end of story. I understand that rooms of certain buildings have even florescent lighting and there should be no shadows, but lighting is something that can be overly dramatized without looking silly. I prefer to take advantage of this.

which is exactly why I use ambient light as a base scheme and thenadd the light actors... It gives you a good starting point to identify what points will look good or bad with shadow details and brighter lights (usually light sources). Believe it or not, knowing the use of ambient lighting is IMO the most important feature for someone who is just starting out lighting in Unreal. Its unfortunate I haven't seen it covered in any of the tutorials. I figure that most people who write those just assume that the reader knows about that ZoneInfo stuff... I can show you some recent screenshots of a level i'm converting from SS1 -> Unreal which uses this ambient lighting technique...

As for the wtf mine lights....It's a beginners light scheme no doubt.. but I would say that CliffyB knows just about the same you do when he did Dig's lighting. I like the light scheme and I think it will fit well with the pack in the end.

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:23

jackrabbit wrote:SS1 -> Unreal

"SS1" as in System Shock 1?

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009, 00:57

Rarsonic wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:SS1 -> Unreal

"SS1" as in System Shock 1?

correct.

original:

Unreal:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 May 2009, 03:37

Small update:

Entrance to the Nali Church that you see in some of the other screenies.

Was finally able to post this since I fixed all the BSP holes. (Thank you Waffnuffly about changing the sheet brushes to Semi-Solid....worked wonders :D )

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2009, 19:58

Ok, so I have finally settled upon the map count, which will be either 6 or 7, depending on how big wtf8.unr gets. I may have to slice it in half.

So far it goes something like this:

wtf4.unr - A simple cutscene
wtf5.unr - The east Nathral village
wtf6.unr - Caves adjacent to the Skaarj mine.
wtf7.unr - The Skaarj mine
wtf8.unr - The west Nathral Village/Communications Tower
wtf9.unr (Maybe) - which will just be the Communications Tower if wtf8 gets to big. (and possibly including the huge mountain you have to climb to get there.)
wtf10.unr - Another cutscene

Oh, and a credits map of course :P

EDIT: I know there aren't really any screenshots of this Cave I've been talking about. I promise you though that screenshots are coming soon!

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 May 2009, 07:48

This is not exactly less, sounds like a lot of work, I hope you buid that stuff in a decent way.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 May 2009, 20:39

Creavion wrote:This is not exactly less, sounds like a lot of work, I hope you buid that stuff in a decent way.

So do I :P

Well so far wtf4 is already done. wtf5 is just about completed. wtf6 and 7 are in beta stages. wtf8 and 9 have yet to even be started. Oh, and to Jackrabbit: The terrain you sent me is nice, however I don't think I'll be able to use it...no vertexes to edit in the floor :/

and who said anything about less? I never said there were going to be less maps :/

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 May 2009, 20:56

If you need a terrain, you can have this one from me...

http://filefactory.com/file/agg6ede/n/Brush_dxf

it is made in the typical unreal 1 style, but I did not add any extra polygons on the floor.

It was one of those days while I tried something out but I dont have any use for this one anymore so you can use it if you want.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 May 2009, 22:24

Creavion wrote:If you need a terrain, you can have this one from me...

http://filefactory.com/file/agg6ede/n/Brush_dxf

it is made in the typical unreal 1 style, but I did not add any extra polygons on the floor.

It was one of those days while I tried something out but I dont have any use for this one anymore so you can use it if you want.

K, I'll check it out :wink:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2009, 12:42

holysh*t! Something other than a screenie of wtf5!

Here's a quick look at some interior work by Mr.Peanuts for wtf6 (the giant cave map) which is a HUGE terrain brush built by Hybrid....so he deserves most of the credit tbh. Infact I think I'm not going to touch wtf6, and it'll just be by Hybrid and Peanuts. I just look over their shoulders pointing them in the right direction 8)

Skaarj Outpost built within' the rocks (see the window? hai window!)

EDIT: And another one...

nikosv

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009, 20:52

...Shiv! Those aren't even close to their finished state!

I guess I'll post another not-even-close-to-finished screenshot of the caves.

I'd have to say, part one of series two (wtf4,wtf5,wtf6,wtf7) is REALLY is coming together. It is not yet playable throughout, but the whole atmosphere is almost there, and roughly 80% of the brushwork is done. The second part of it though... I don't even want to think about that. wtf5-7 are all maps of decent length (for comparison each one is 1.5-3 times bigger than wtf2), but wtf8/9 is aiming to be more than half of series two.

Uggggghhh. Well, it's been fun so far.

nikosv

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009, 04:50

An interesting look at how far Shiv and I have come over the years. Top brush-only views of our maps, earlier and later on in the series.

Previous Next