ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[ut] [u1] -D e a d C e l l-

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:11

Yes, in that moment; it's a normal thing. They should do even a sound. Oh and yeah, you're immune to them if you have the Toxin Suit.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:14

Yeah I know about the Toxin suit but I never recall getting hurt while walking over their puddles.

Anyway, yeah blobs are in Dead Cell. Fixed, better functioning blobs no less. And I do mean to pluralize "blobs." They're kind of a control system set up inside the Dead Cell to make sure you don't break too many rules or get too many advantages.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:44

Mister_Prophet wrote:Yeah I know about the Toxin suit but I never recall getting hurt while walking over their puddles.

Anyway, yeah blobs are in Dead Cell. Fixed, better functioning blobs no less. And I do mean to pluralize "blobs." They're kind of a control system set up inside the Dead Cell to make sure you don't break too many rules or get too many advantages.

Wondered how you were going to use them. :tup: Reminds me a lot of a book where they had security blobs to stop you from going into restricted areas.

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 20:03

...i like the refreshing pace this SP endeavour seems to pursue. I enjoy a 'classic' Unreal SP experience as much, but in the depths of my mind, i'll always lean towards the 'uncommon', the diferent, the new. Therefor, i am eagerly antecipating DEADCELL (as if it weren't true already, coming from Prophet :] ).

I also commend your visual styling on this, especially when it comes to chromatic choice of HUD, weapon re-skin, and the most of your texturing on gameworld geometry -- being black and yellow/gold (and silver BTW) my favorite colors :) ...
...'sharp dressed man'...

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 22:30

Nahand wrote:...i like the refreshing pace this SP endeavour seems to pursue. I enjoy a 'classic' Unreal SP experience as much, but in the depths of my mind, i'll always lean towards the 'uncommon', the diferent, the new. Therefor, i am eagerly antecipating DEADCELL (as if it weren't true already, coming from Prophet :] ).

I also commend your visual styling on this, especially when it comes to chromatic choice of HUD, weapon re-skin, and the most of your texturing on gameworld geometry -- being black and yellow/gold (and silver BTW) my favorite colors :) ...

Heya Nahand.

Been a bit delayed this last week with RL stuff (tm), but Dead Cell is progressing. The bugs that made finishing for the speedrun contest impossible are still being ironed out, and some of the newer stuff being implemented requires some testing still. The thing about a "classic" Unreal map is....well, I've never made one. I appreciate when others do. But I never will make one I don't think. I don't see the usefulness in that, for myself as a mapper in this community.

DC has a minimalist approach to the theme and I've purposely kept things simple. It's actually kind of a nice change of pace that the issues holding me up are solely code based.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:29

I am considering making the template for Upcoming Maps entries more flexible. This would allow you to present more images and play with the formatting a bit up to a maximum width of 800x600. However, due to the fact that the system currently double-spaces all paragraphs, your first post would have to look something like this (also avoiding the sea of yelllow text IMO):

Developer: Mister Prophet
Status: Because of testing constraints, Dead Cell missed the USP Speedmapping contest's deadline. In light of that, a better version is being constructed that includes elements beyond that of or cut from what would have been in the USP Speedmap version.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
PREMISE
You've been locked in a cell for ninety days.
A food dispenser brings you three meals a day, and by your twenty fourth day of incarceration you gave up trying to squeeze your way through the slot. Your cell has no doors, and even after ninety days you have no idea how they brought you here.
The man on the intercom calls himself Caesar. And the name he uses to refer to you is not yours, but after ninety days you've gotten used to it. He does not answer your shouts. Just a pleasant good morning, good evening most days. On your thirtieth day, Caesar gave you a blank journal and a fountain pen along with your breakfast. Jello with a side of stationary. You often wonder what would happen if you try to stab your carotid with it. What would Caesar do then? Something tells you nothing. And by day fifty, despite everything...you begin to look forward to your meals. They certainly taste better than anything you've ever eaten on the frontier.
Every day you do one thousand push-ups and one thousand jackknives. Every evening after supper you write in your journal. Some nights, if the mood strikes you just right, you gratify yourself. Caesar is kind of enough to replenish your pens.
On the ninetieth day, something different happens.
Caesar speaks to you like he has never spoken to you. He tells you that you are being released. He also tells you that there are other people in other cells, and they have been there this whole time. Each of them has a name like yours. Misters and Misses. And there are eight of you.
And Caesar tells you that only one of you can leave. You deduce the situation even before he elaborates. Eight people. Eight weapons. One labyrinth of metal, grates, pipes, and steam. And an exit fit for one.
You do the math, and write your last journal entry.
"Follow the Yellow-Brick road." -Mister Bowman
FEATURES
-Dead Cell will be a format to test some elements you will see in Residual Decay, such as a limited Use-Key system for items and slightly more functional melee weapons (although of smaller caliber than what will apear in RD).
-Two new melee weapons which were going to be cut from the Speed Mapping version.
-A Bleeding system, where you have to use bandages over other healing items to stop health drains.
-Predominantly One-On-One, boss scenario type gameplay.
-Asymmetrical layout (in a sense) where, after a certain point, you can decide how you want to play the game and from which direction. What this means is that you can there are different orders that you can chose to play the map, depending on your strategy.
-Now with 100% more intro/extros.
-Voice acting.
-New HUD.
-7B-styled Blood Generations.
DEVELOPMENT
Technically, it's about tweaking atm. Getting the custom elements to work properly and fixing gameplay elements. Should have a released version soon.

If that's too much of a mess to read as a forum post, perhaps it could be trimmed down a bit...
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:39

I could excise the story I suppose. But I'd like to leave the yellow if that's all the same to you.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:42

Mister_Prophet wrote:I could excise the story I suppose. But I'd like to leave the yellow if that's all the same to you.

There's no imperative from me to excise the story, so it's based solely on how you want your thread to look. It's nice to have a sense for the story in the thread. The above mass of text will look better on the main page with proper paragraph spacing.

I can live with the yellow, but you should know that the project title on the main page is drawn from the thread subject and therefore can't be formatted in the same way.

One of these days I'll fix the site code!
Last edited by Hellscrag on 19 Aug 2009, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:43

Well I've gone ahead and made the changes to the first post. Is this suitable?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:48

I'd like to keep the "Developer:" and "Status:" lines at the top of every post. There's also no need to repeat the title of your project as that will be replicated from the subject of the thread.

Pics should be two to a line to avoid the post taking over the Upcoming Maps page and to give it some width.

Using underline tags would be preferable to your dashed headings. Remember, every hard line break will be double spaced on the main page until such a time as I have fixed up the code. Similarly, you may want to remove the line break in your quotation.

It seems a shame to excise the story completely, as that leaves you with no synopsis at all.

Sorry the system is such a mess at present. I've got to go now, so I'll leave it with you and hope to approve your thread tomorrow.

(EDITS for clarity)

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:56

I'll mess with it some more.

EDIT: Okay I'm happy with this edit I suppose. I swapped the story for the features and fixed the pix. Story might look weird on the forum on this format, but as long as it works on the upcoming pages section.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: [UT] -D e a d C e l l-

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 00:44

I popped back online, as I had some more thoughts on this and wanted to communicate them to you to stop them going round in my head while I was trying to get to sleep.

I think you were right originally to include the title DEADCELL in the post, as it forms the start of your "yellow" design, and serves a similar purpose to qtit's logo image on ISV-Dragonfly.

Perhaps the best way for me to handle the template is as follows. The rigid part of the template is the subject line, the "Developer:" and "Status:" entries as detailed in this thread. Those elements must appear in white. After that, the mapper is free to format the post how they want, subject to certain guidelines e.g. trying to keep lines of images to a width of approx. 800 pixels.

In your case, this might be something like:

Mister_Prophet wrote:Developer: Mister_Prophet

D E A D C E L L
Because of testing constraints, Dead Cell missed the USP Speedmapping contest's deadline. In light of that, a better version is being constructed that includes elements beyond that of or cut from what would have been in the USP Speedmap version.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
You've been locked in a cell for ninety days. A food dispenser brings you three meals a day, and by your twenty fourth day of incarceration you gave up trying to squeeze your way through the slot. Your cell has no doors, and even after ninety days you have no idea how they brought you here.
The man on the intercom calls himself Caesar. And the name he uses to refer to you is not yours, but after ninety days you've gotten used to it. He does not answer your shouts. Just a pleasant good morning, good evening most days. On your thirtieth day, Caesar gave you a blank journal and a fountain pen along with your breakfast. Jello with a side of stationary.
You often wonder what would happen if you try to stab your carotid with it. What would Caesar do then? Something tells you nothing. And by day fifty, despite everything...you begin to look forward to your meals. They certainly taste better than anything you've ever eaten on the frontier.
Every day you do one thousand push-ups and one thousand jackknives. Every evening after supper you write in your journal. Some nights, if the mood strikes you just right, you gratify yourself. Caesar is kind of enough to replenish your pens.
On the ninetieth day, something different happens. Caesar speaks to you like he has never spoken to you. He tells you that you are being released. He also tells you that there are other people in other cells, and they have been there this whole time. Each of them has a name like yours. Misters and Misses. And there are eight of you.
And Caesar tells you that only one of you can leave. You deduce the situation even before he elaborates. Eight people. Eight weapons. One labyrinth of metal, grates, pipes, and steam. And an exit fit for one.
You do the math, and write your last journal entry.
"Follow the Yellow-Brick road."
-Mister Bowman

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 01:02

Okay done.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 18:51

Thanks. Thread moved to Upcoming Maps.

Some tweaks: I brought the white headers into line with template (adding bold text and changing the status to "Beta Testing" - "Beta" isn't terribly helpful and implies that there is a download available).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 18:56

Finally got it to look right after multiple tweaks. I had to add extra spaces between the tags in the title line. If you edit it again, please could you keep an eye on how it looks on the main page too. Thanks.

EDIT: Damn thing doesn't like double quotes either!

Previous Next