UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[usp] [u1] [ut] Two new re-reviews

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 21:34

LH, your fixed version of One Day sound useful. Would you object to my offering a download link in the review? I assume that the fix is unauthorised...

It's unauthorized, because I didn't plan on releasing it in the first place. I was only going to give it to Mr. Prophet for the review... If you think putting a download link to it won't cause any problems (it shouldn't, since the original readme file and everything is still intact), then go for it. 8)

You might want to rename the zip file slightly so that people know the are getting the "fixed" version.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 12:55

The review made me want to replay One Day. :tup: :tup: :tup:

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 13:00

About the playerstart issue... I got it, but just went into the editor, found what looked like the start and put in a playerstart. :P

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 21:35

Legendslayer222 wrote:About the playerstart issue... I got it, but just went into the editor, found what looked like the start and put in a playerstart. :P

The playerstart issue is easily fixable with a server side mutator...I did it for the map Episode3.unr...which I have no idea where that map pack is from...hmm...

You do need to have a summonable playerstart though, but that's like a 2kb mod that's really simple as making a branch from the normal playerstart and unchecking bStatic. Or something like that. I use xCoop for my server though which comes with a summonable playerstart anyway (Most game types do...like JcoopZ1)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 12:28

Since I had another hour of free time, I tried Morene, another unknown map to me, but contrary to the Lower Shrine of Nakesh, this map didn't do it for me.

The first came with UnrealGold crashing with the map loaded, so UT's turn, it worked but the second time I tried it it also crashed, the third time it worked again., but anyway I managed to play the whole map.

Although there are quite a few "decorations"in all rooms, none are convincing and just look as though they were placed just to fill up the rooms (ok, the room with the Berserker and the 2 Troopers was actually nicely designed and well populated). On the whole I felt it was a bit too dark also (but that is probably on purpose).

Gameplay? pfff, the only part were there is a real challenge is when leaving the lift but after dying the first time (fighting the Berserker without looking around) I found it's easy to outrun him sufficiently and lure out the Troopers, then hide and make some coffee. When returning the Berserker had gotten rid of the Troopers and was dozing again - easy kill. Pity, this room had more potential.

The room with the grenade launching Brute (and the three hidden brutes) was ridiculously easy due to their restricted movements. They just didn't seem to fit in this environment (mercenaries would, I think)

About the texture misalignments, I was on the lookout for these and didn't notice much (but then again I don't have the eye for this) except for the doors which looked strange.

My final opinion - I've seen much better maps by the author (don't ask me which but the author's name made me expect something a lot better) and this was a let down, even the end cinematics failed to convince, too flashy and surreal instead of unreal).

Hey, my opinion may sound harsh but in no way could I do better, other might have fun with this map, but I had more fun spilling my coffee.

edit at 14:15: having reread the review and the old review, it just dawned upon me that this is TAAB's first map.
In this case, even though it isn't my cup of tea (make that coffee), I certainly second the motion that this is a darned good effort and later work by the author certainly did impress me.

and another edit: corrected TAEB to TAAB
Last edited by salsaSkaarj on 09 Jun 2009, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 17:05

Ehh...

:?

ThickAsABrick has later work?

That's news to me.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 17:06

TAAB did nothing after Morene...
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 18:15

UBerserker wrote:TAAB did nothing after Morene...

hmm?? am I wrong on this one,? Could be, but the name is so familiar and I connect it with Unreal. Deja Vu is flashing in my mind now.

I will have to search my old CDs with maps I downloaded and if (I hope when) I find something I will post it here.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 18:54

TAAB used to be a regular here and was at one time attached to Team UnrealSP. He was the co-writer of the detailed Deja Vu review currently on the main page.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 19:57

Hellscrag wrote:TAAB used to be a regular here and was at one time attached to Team UnrealSP. He was the co-writer of the detailed Deja Vu review currently on the main page.

Thanks Hellscrag for clearing that up.
I didn't find all my Unreal files but I have a directory with about 100 maps (zipped) and searched for the text "Thick" and only came up with 2 maps: Morene (which apparently I had downloaded earlier but never got round to playing) and Deja Vu (TAAB is credited in the readme.txt). I just had a look at the Deja Vu review and yes, he's mentioned there.

So it's proven that my memory works, now if it were also to work properly ... :rolleyes:

Still I am taking this opportunity to stress the fact that my opinion on the map Morene was influenced (prejudiced) by the "knowledge" that TAAB had produced other maps. In view of the later realisation that this was his first (and only) map, TAAB deserves more credit than is expressed in my post (so if by any chance TAAB is reading this - my bark is just a cover up for my own incompetence (relating to mapping).

Previous