Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[usp] [u1] [ut] WTF Series 1 review update

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] [ut] WTF Series 1 review update

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009, 19:00

The review for Shivaxi and LOL_PEANUTS' WTF Series 1 has now received a long-overdue update to reflect the various fixes provided in version 1.1 of the mod. You can read the updated review here.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009, 19:02

I feel slightly ashamed that it took me so long to get round to such a small update (I played the fixed version several weeks ago). What can I say other than sorry, and to say that I've been working on other (Real Life) projects.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009, 19:10

RL.. "projects"?... :)

Good to see the update tho! :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009, 19:16

very accurate review.. great job :tup:

I know Shivaxi from the co-op scene, and although we really never got along too well (for certain reasons :twisted:) ..I really did support his pack at all times (yeah, even when we were wanting to kill each other). A few good friends from Unreal (Pcube and Casey most notably) even stated a few days ago that: "when was the last time that someone even attempted something like this from oldunreal?.. even though the build wasn't great he still did it". I would like to congratulate shivaxi on this release and I do hope to play future installments of the pack regardless of how I get along with its author. :D

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009, 15:25

Thank you both Hellscrag and Jackrabbit. I'm and very pleased with the new review. Don't feel bad Hellscrag for being late with the review, as I know what it's like to keep up with these kinds of things when your dealing with real life.

For example: (I probably shouldn't be saying this....but....) I got suspended from school for a week because i pulled the fire alarm on thursday. Don't ask why, I don't even really remember except that I was extremely pissed off

So if I'm not around for a while (due to groudings from my parental units) you know why. I will inform my "partner in crime" Peanuts to continue the development on WTF Series 2 :wink:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009, 22:45

Shivaxi wrote:For example: (I probably shouldn't be saying this....but....) I got suspended from school for a week because i pulled the fire alarm on thursday. Don't ask why, I don't even really remember except that I was extremely pissed off

Rebel :tup: You have passed the initiation ceremony :lol:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2009, 00:26

Shivaxi wrote:For example: (I probably shouldn't be saying this....but....) I got suspended from school for a week because i pulled the fire alarm on thursday. Don't ask why, I don't even really remember except that I was extremely pissed off

So if I'm not around for a while (due to groudings from my parental units) you know why. I will inform my "partner in crime" Peanuts to continue the development on WTF Series 2 :wink:

AP (Reuters) - EARLIER THIS afternoon, a series of terrorist attacks against several American schools shocked the world after a duo of well-organized radicals swept across the nation, wantonly pulling fire alarms and sending frightened pupils and faculty screaming from their buildings, leaving a trail of devastation behind them.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2009, 01:34

Waffnuffly wrote:

AP (Reuters) - EARLIER THIS afternoon, a series of terrorist attacks against several American schools shocked the world after a duo of well-organized radicals swept across the nation, wantonly pulling fire alarms and sending frightened pupils and faculty screaming from their buildings, leaving a trail of devastation behind them.

:lol:

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 00:38

Oh, I forgot to mention something:

About the Credits at the end not being readable...that is a rendering issue on your part. They render perfectly clear for me. I think it has something to do with A: The credits is a mover, and B: The mipmapping settings on your renderer.

I have mipmapping off, so nothing is blurred far away. I think with mipmapping, it automatically blurs high res textures on movers (because Epic decided that it would make the game run smoother that way....damn Windows 3.2's...)

I'll paste my OpenGL settings when I get the chance (Not for a week at the least due to grounding...unless I manage to sneak on somehow) :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 19:29

If it's only because you have mipmapping disabled that it is readable for you then IMO it's a bug that should be fixed.
Last edited by Hellscrag on 17 Feb 2009, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 19:43

Seeing as you can simply import a texture while unchecking the "Generate mipmaps" option, I agree. :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 21:24

sana wrote:Seeing as you can simply import a texture while unchecking the "Generate mipmaps" option, I agree. :P

Yeah but if I did that, then people running Unreal with Direct 3D would crash :/

And Hellscrag...it is not a bug if me (and a couple other people i know) are able to see the credits fine....it is a client side rendering issue. And I said before that I wasn't 100% positive it was the mipmapping thing...it could be something completely different, like not having HighDetailedActors=True or something....I have no idea and no way to test right now.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 21:56

If it impacts so significantly on the player's experience of the mod when using standard rendering settings, then it's either a bug or poor quality control - you choose!

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:12

Hellscrag wrote:If it impacts so significantly on the player's experience of the mod when using standard rendering settings, then it's either a bug or poor quality control - you choose!

Ok, now I'm getting pissed off.

The default Unreal settings have Volumetric Lighting (aka Fog) and Shiny Surfaces (aka Reflections) turned off. So basically your saying that nobody should utilize these effects in their map packs because the default settings of Unreal do not support them.

I see all these map packs that require this and that to be downloaded or tweaked or modified or whatever...but mine can't simply have one thing changed in the render settings for you to be able to see the credits...what the hell...

EDIT: Sorry if I seem harsh...I'm just not doing good today is all...and worrying about getting expelled from school is making me a nervous wreck

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:18

OK, sorry, my post was provocative. My bad.

I stand by my point, though. You are relying on players to disable an obscure renderer property that is on by default (that's advanced stuff) in order to actually be able to read the credits. It isn't mentioned in your readme that the project is dependent on this setting to actually work properly.

Volumetric lighting and shiny surfaces, disabled by default with SOME renderers - I do think that there is a subtle difference between these key engine features and the more advanced technical stuff - but that's a matter of opinion. More to the point, the lack of shiny surfaces or fog won't usually be detrimental to the playability / functionality of a pack; it will just make it look less good.

At the very least you should make a point of mentioning the issue in your readme - but it would be better to fix it.

Next