Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[usp] [u1] [ut] New Mapping Tutorials

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] [ut] New Mapping Tutorials

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 19:28

UnrealSP.Org is pleased to present the first two of what will hopefully be an ongoing series of single player mapping tutorials by Mister Prophet. The first two tutorials, which can be found in the Level Design section, cover Lighting for Dummies and the Anatomy of a Boss Fight. These first two tutorials apply equally to the Unreal and Unreal Tournament editors.
Last edited by Hellscrag on 31 Jul 2008, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 19:30

Hehe. Scrag, you have a lot of stuff to upload to the main page :P

The article about Boss Fights is probably the thing I should check.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 19:34

UBerserker wrote:Hehe. Scrag, you have a lot of stuff to upload to the main page :P

I certainly do. I hope you don't mind me letting this one jump the queue (it was a shorter job than the beta walkthroughs are).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 19:40

Hellscrag wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Hehe. Scrag, you have a lot of stuff to upload to the main page :P

I certainly do. I hope you don't mind me letting this one jump the queue (it was a shorter job than the beta walkthroughs are).

There's no problem with that :o
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: [usp] [u1] [ut] New Mapping Tutorials

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 22:18

Hellscrag wrote:UnrealSP.Org is pleased to prevent the first two of ...

prevent? Are they THAT bad? :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: [usp] [u1] [ut] New Mapping Tutorials

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 23:06

Darkon wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:UnrealSP.Org is pleased to prevent the first two of ...

prevent? Are they THAT bad? :P

You could have fixed that typo for me, Mr. Moderator!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 00:59

oh cool.

I'll make another lighting for dummies installment sometime soon, and a tut on shadow making.

Otherwise I'm always open for requests.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 01:58

Nice, I like the way you snuck in some RD pics ;) . What will the next lighting tutorial have?

If this is mainly intended for beginners, maybe you could do a tutorial on how useful vertex editing, the 2D shape editor and other tools like that are? (if you use the clipping tool a lot I'd be interested in seeing a tutorial on that anyway).

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 03:01

Yeah a level design tut is something I can do.

For the next lighting installment, I figured I'd cover things like trigger lights, and dynamic lights. Stuff like that. Or maybe some more advanced tricks.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 08:23

Sweet, i'm going to read these through soon...

I reckon an advanced tricks tutorial would be good. As long as there are plenty of examples showing how they help and you put up an effective argument for actually using the trick.... I'm all for it! :D

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 13:09

Proph

The list of tutorials is very crudely done at the moment and relies on the titles of the tutes to explain what the content is going to be. Would you be interested in providing a one-or-two-sentence capsule description of each tute as you submit it?

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 19:34

I really appreciate this lighting tutorial and the boss tutorial. Thanks alot Proph...... maybe soon enough I'll be able to make those dark and scary places seen in Red Nemesis work!

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008, 08:29

Hellscrag wrote:Proph

The list of tutorials is very crudely done at the moment and relies on the titles of the tutes to explain what the content is going to be. Would you be interested in providing a one-or-two-sentence capsule description of each tute as you submit it?

Lighting for Dummies
-Covers Tech, Torch, and general contrast lighting for those who know nothing about it. Easy steps for novices.

Anatomy of the Boss Fight
-If your going to add a boss fight to your map, you should give this a read.

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008, 08:49

Awesome! I'm gonna check out the one about lighting.

I have a suggestion for a tutorial - advanced texture alignment. :D This is on behalf of the fact that I've been abusing tons of textures alignments recently. I can help too if needed as I've discovered a major lot recently about alignment in the Editor.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008, 09:07

Proph, you are a fucking demi-god!

I read through the light tut and i was like "So that's how it's done!". I then went and had a read through bot 40's shape tutorial. With all the info loaded in my mind i started making a map. I gave it a glaring white light or two after finishing the floor plan and tested it out. It was a n00bishly pre-alpha map, but to my suprise, it actually had some decent flow. Anyway, i gave it a quick texture job, which looks fine (It's aligned properly and stuff) and i did another test. It still felt like it needed something (MAJOR trim :P ) but other then that it showed promise.

This is where your tut came in. If it weren't for your tut, i would have been stumped for how to make the map look any better and i would have started bot pathing it and placing down pickups.
Instead, i went to bot 40's tutorial and started making some architecture type thing. I was amazed when it actually looked good! I was just casually improvising and somehow this cool shit came out of it. I textured it properly and it looked even better.
I then drew on your lighting tutorial and applied lighting to the area where this architecture was located.

I was like "OMG OMG OMG O. M. F. G. zomg!" It Looked so damn good! This bland corner of the map where i was just playing around with some brushes.... it looks so sexy now. If you just get the spectator camera in the right position, you would never know that just behind you there lies a whole crapload of n00b mappage!
The architecture looked good as it was, but with your lighting tutorial applied it become pwnworthy.
I look at the map and all of a sudden feel optimistic. I have never before known how to make a map "look good". I could get all these ideas for a 1337 floorplan, but I had no idea how to get it to look cool. That always killed my motivation to actually make anything.

but now, thanks to you and bot 40 I reckon i could produce something worth keeping on my hard drive...
Unfortunatley, while i could produce something worth keeping, I can't produce exactly what i want and here's why: I have no idea how to do outdoor lighting effectively. So while i love your tut, i was mildy let down by the absence of an outdoor lighting section.

But other than that, have mah babbies!

Next