UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[usp] [u1] Liberation of Na Pali re-reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008, 23:17

jackrabbit wrote:yeah, I personally believe that if your going to use nali paths, don't use it for something that is essential to end the map. Rather, use it for secrets and extras... If you are going to use a nali follow path in your map, make sure that there is a "secondary" option available for the player.

Or, have it as a "ghost" Nali that can come to no harm.

Alternatively, the MakeNaliFriendly actor can serve to mitigate this problem somewhat, but even so it's a better idea to provide a secondary route.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008, 23:24

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Prophs review is good, but i find the screen shots he chose aren't as good as zynthetics choices. Sure, the new screenies are more interesting, but the old screen shots really showed just how big the reviewer meant when he said "BIG!".
Why do the old screens get deleted when a map pack is re-reviewed?

It's not compulsory, but the old screenshots are often quite poor quality (particularly where lighting is concerned). Most reviewers choose to provide new screenies; I guess it makes the page feel a bit fresher.

Examples of re-reviews to re-use the existing screenies are ONP (?), The Elder (?), Hexephet, Hollow, The Invasion, New Alcatraz, Valley of Alshar, and probably a number of others.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008, 23:57

Just started playing this in Oldskool (wtf) and already have a few things to add. Personally I think the lighting in the level is a tad on the dark side in some places, especailly around the starting area. I had to yank my brightness right up to see where to go to grab the searchlight! Also the Nali "bunny" is a baby cow, but I guess Proph knew that already.
StalwartUK

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008, 03:20

Turboman wrote:ah i'm probably just sentimental to these old classics ;)

Ahh..a worthy statement...as am I...they still shine given the time in which they were made :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008, 06:35

Hellscrag wrote:
TheIronKnuckle wrote:Prophs review is good, but i find the screen shots he chose aren't as good as zynthetics choices. Sure, the new screenies are more interesting, but the old screen shots really showed just how big the reviewer meant when he said "BIG!".
Why do the old screens get deleted when a map pack is re-reviewed?

It's not compulsory, but the old screenshots are often quite poor quality (particularly where lighting is concerned). Most reviewers choose to provide new screenies; I guess it makes the page feel a bit fresher.

Examples of re-reviews to re-use the existing screenies are ONP (?), The Elder (?), Hexephet, Hollow, The Invasion, New Alcatraz, Valley of Alshar, and probably a number of others.

Thats all good, but wouldn't it be possible to keep the old screens AND the new screens? More screens would give a greater idea of the maps visuals overall.
Of course, this whole thing that i am debating is extremely trivial, and i really don't care either way, but i still wonder why the original review becomes limited to text only once it becomes a second opinion.

still, tis a good review proph

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008, 07:37

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008, 08:50

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/revie ... ation.html

The download link at the bottom of the review is dead:

Not Found
The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at unrealspvault.org Port 80

the URL was: http://www.unrealspvault.org/index.php? ... lecatid=19

You may want to update the link or fix the server.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008, 13:54

For those who can't download it... Try this website.

http://www.celticwarriors.net/Website/D ... erMaps.htm
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008, 21:17

The Vault has been down for ages. zynthetic is working on the new version as we speak.

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008, 12:11

Hellscrag wrote:The Vault has been down for ages. zynthetic is working on the new version as we speak.

Yeah, I know it is down for some time. My point is, why link to a file that is not there. Maybe it is better to remove the link, or link to alternate source.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008, 19:55

Hyper wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:The Vault has been down for ages. zynthetic is working on the new version as we speak.

Yeah, I know it is down for some time. My point is, why link to a file that is not there. Maybe it is better to remove the link, or link to alternate source.

If it were a completely new review page I would have done so. As ever, I was probably working in a hurry.

Previous