ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[usp] [u1] Unreal: Forgotten reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 08:59

jackrabbit wrote:Yeah, I think its an issue with 3dfx Glide more than anything. I could try playing it in OpenGL instead and see if it hard-crashes like it does with 3dfx. Oddly enough though, I'm able to play most UT campaigns in 3dfx with little to no issues (7Bullets applies). I think I might have experienced some crashes with Xidia though.

I have a feeling that something was changed in the Xidia era code for 7Bullets that made it more stable for 3dfx rendering. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not though.

This seems to make some sense, given that Skytown Redux uses the code package from Xidia Gold, and has prompts at the beginning to enable fog via OpenGL. Possibly related to how Redux is started through .bat, or something along those lines. Or possibly something else, for which I have no clue.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 18:40

UBerserker wrote:The problem is now there isn't anything around which I feel like reviewing - unless someone request, I'll do - all of this time I gave low scores except for DV2 and STR and I would hate having the reputation "UB reviews only because he likes going all negative and oh look he throws out a 13%, 18%, etc%", which I have already it anyway (I think). Now that I understood the way of reviewing Unreal maps on this website, I'd want take something really big, as I said before.

Perhaps you'd like to review TCO when it comes out, UB? Unless, that is, you've been involved in its development / testing in some way that I'm unaware of.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 19:43

I'm not involved with any SP project. The only exception is SP-Unforcher where I did gameplay testing and giving ideas. I'd like to do TCO and RD, while I'll leave Firestorm to someone else.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 20:48

I would love to at least read a Hellscrag second opinion of all of these map packs, though. Or maybe Noailiat could use his abilities for a poetic guest review worthy of those map pack titans?

(As long as they won't turn out to be The Chosen Forever and Residual Vaporware, of course. :P)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 21:04

sana wrote:I would love to at least read a Hellscrag second opinion of all of these map packs, though. Or maybe Noailiat could use his abilities for a poetic guest review worthy of those map pack titans?

(As long as they won't turn out to be The Chosen Forever and Residual Vaporware, of course. :P)

Kind of you to say. There's no real reason why I should get to review all of the big packs, though, and no real reason why my opinions should be any more valid than those of the other reviewers here.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 21:52

I'll have a thorough go at Firestorm when it comes out, if no one else is interested. I dunno if you'd be more in favor of a more experienced reviewer, but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do a cleanly acceptable review, if not an exceptional one.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 22:04

jetv435 wrote:I'll have a thorough go at Firestorm when it comes out, if no one else is interested. I dunno if you'd be more in favor of a more experienced reviewer, but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do a cleanly acceptable review, if not an exceptional one.

It's a welcome offer, thanks. I suppose I would prefer the really big stuff to be handled by the more experienced reviewers, though. I don't suppose we'll have any difficulty finding someone to do the review (I haven't ruled out tackling it myself, although MMAN may also be interested, in which case I'd be happy to yield), but if you'd consider reviewing a couple of other, smaller projects first, your name could be in the running.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 15:01

Hellscrag wrote:
jetv435 wrote:I'll have a thorough go at Firestorm when it comes out, if no one else is interested. I dunno if you'd be more in favor of a more experienced reviewer, but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do a cleanly acceptable review, if not an exceptional one.

It's a welcome offer, thanks. I suppose I would prefer the really big stuff to be handled by the more experienced reviewers, though. I don't suppose we'll have any difficulty finding someone to do the review (I haven't ruled out tackling it myself, although MMAN may also be interested, in which case I'd be happy to yield), but if you'd consider reviewing a couple of other, smaller projects first, your name could be in the running.

I always thought the review should be done kinda differently...cause people have different opinions about things...so you could give Firestorm a 95% while say MMAN may give it an 85%...I'm just saying as an example...

So maybe like one person could write up the review, but have all the reviewers vote upon it's score, as to give a more fairly accurate score...

Just an idea
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 18:44

Shivaxi wrote:I always thought the review should be done kinda differently...cause people have different opinions about things...so you could give Firestorm a 95% while say MMAN may give it an 85%...I'm just saying as an example...

So maybe like one person could write up the review, but have all the reviewers vote upon it's score, as to give a more fairly accurate score...

Just an idea

Again, this is the kind of balance that Second Opinions set out to create, but they've never really caught on.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 22:44

Hellscrag wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:I always thought the review should be done kinda differently...cause people have different opinions about things...so you could give Firestorm a 95% while say MMAN may give it an 85%...I'm just saying as an example...

Just an idea

Again, this is the kind of balance that Second Opinions set out to create, but they've never really caught on.

I don't like the idea of voting on a score (the advantage of the current review system is that each aspect which is graded is treated, a mere vote has little added value).
Concerning second opinions: I am in favour of your idea about how a reviewed map compares to others. It will be fairly subjective but if there are a couple of second opinions on each map this could increase objectivity (in the sense that an objective opinion is the aggregate of many subjective opinions).

Care should be taken though that second opinions don't become MOTW style reviews, and I'm also a bit concerned about giving away too much of the gameplay secrets (reviews shouldn't become walkthroughs).

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 00:46

As far as I know...the only case where a second opinion review has actually been done is the one I did for Nali Chronicles. In all other cases, all reviews listed under the main ones on the site are simply the ones left over from the old schema.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 01:15

Yeah, plus the fact that the "second opinion score" is a small white font with no color that noone really pays attention to. I think at the very least, the score for the second opinion should be rainbow3d. I know if it caught my attention, I would probably be more prone to doing some 2nd reviews for maps.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 01:17

:lol:
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 02:50

Mister_Prophet wrote:As far as I know...the only case where a second opinion review has actually been done is the one I did for Nali Chronicles. In all other cases, all reviews listed under the main ones on the site are simply the ones left over from the old schema.

I did one for The Odyssey. 8)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 04:16

Lightning Hunter wrote:I did one for The Odyssey. 8)

My mistake. :D

Previous Next