ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[usp] [u1] Unreal: Forgotten reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] Unreal: Forgotten reviewed

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 22:59

The last of the recent tranche of new single player releases has now been reviewed. Our review of Unreal: Forgotten, the six-map pack for Unreal 227 by Sinistral, can be found here.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 00:20

Thanks for this review, I'm very happy with the score and found myself nodding in agreement at a lot of the points you make while I was reading it back to myself. I'm glad that despite its flaws you sounded like you enjoyed playing the pack.

I'm also currently working on a 1.1 version which should hopefully address the issues some people have experianced, and perhaps tackle some of the weaker areas you pointed out in your review.

Thanks again.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 01:26

I'm serious when I say that these recent reviews are really top notch work. I totally agree with the final score and just about everything said in the review. Its actually kinda creepy.

Even if version 1.1 of Forgotten doesn't make a public appearance in the future, I think Sinistral should really be proud of what he did here. A classic Unreal experience that is very nostalgic. Sure it could be improved, but there are at least 20 different map packs / maps hosted on this site that could use a patch for them as well.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:23

From what I've seen, this looks good. and 70% score? Aww, I need to get 227 now! :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:26

jackrabbit wrote:I'm serious when I say that these recent reviews are really top notch work.

Well, I couldn't let MMAN have all the glory, lol. :P

I'm glad you guys like the review and agree with the score. I don't do it that often these days...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 14:36

I remember the DV review of Drevlin and eVOLVE. Those guys had an unique style of saying things.
After my last review, I have decided to stop rating stuff - if anything, maybe I'll probably only take the big releases like FS and TCO if they ever come out.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 14:56

UBerserker wrote:I remember the DV review of Drevlin and eVOLVE. Those guys had an unique style of saying things.
After my last review, I have decided to stop rating stuff - if anything, maybe I'll probably only take the big releases like FS and TCO if they ever come out.

No more reviews? That's a shame - your choice, though, of course...

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 16:20

UBerserker wrote:After my last review, I have decided to stop rating stuff - if anything, maybe I'll probably only take the big releases like FS and TCO if they ever come out.

Yeah, kind of a shame actually because I did really enjoy the 'Bob' review. Also notably I did find your Zero Black review extremely accurate. I think maybe you do excel reviewing in areas that really do lack completely. For Zero Black, it was the gameplay (clearing out room after room). For Bob, it was lack of story and no action. As for the SkyTown redux review, I was surprised to see such a high score because I think I remember playing it and having a few issues with my game crashing. I'll have to play it again for myself and see if its really worth the score!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 19:03

I'd say the recent reviews are simply par for the course in regards to the kind of effort and quality that are put into them here at USP. On that note, I've got to try Forgotten when I have a free evening this week (I only play games at night).

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 23:33

I played and finished skytown redux for the first time. As I did remember correctly, my game crashed a total of 4 times during the progression of the map (something that doesn't happen when I play Seven Bullets). Usually around boss fights and cutscenes the crashes did occur. Alot of quicksaving made it possible to reload UT and finish the map though. I think 80% is a pretty accurate score all in all though. I think I'd give technical execution a 2 or a 3.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 23:35

jackrabbit wrote:Yeah, kind of a shame actually because I did really enjoy the 'Bob' review.

That doesn't count as a review due to the sheer lazyness. I put it up in less than one hour during midnight and look how it does compare to the Xenome review. It's like looking back and saying "should have said more details"; partially, this is the reason why I went more freeform and talkative with the Sky Town Reduxx review. But at least people considered it nice enough so I felt more okay about it. I won't be surprised if David didn't like it, though.

The problem is now there isn't anything around which I feel like reviewing - unless someone request, I'll do - all of this time I gave low scores except for DV2 and STR and I would hate having the reputation "UB reviews only because he likes going all negative and oh look he throws out a 13%, 18%, etc%", which I have already it anyway (I think). Now that I understood the way of reviewing Unreal maps on this website, I'd want take something really big, as I said before.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 01:40

UBerserker wrote: I put it up in less than one hour during midnight and look how it does compare to the Xenome review.

I thought the 'Bob' review had just the right amount of details. Any more and you would have probably spoiled the map for others.

I think you should also consider that the Xenome review is covering a higher map count leading to more details overall in the review. That can also be said for this Forgotten review.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 01:52

jackrabbit wrote:I played and finished skytown redux for the first time. As I did remember correctly, my game crashed a total of 4 times during the progression of the map (something that doesn't happen when I play Seven Bullets). Usually around boss fights and cutscenes the crashes did occur. Alot of quicksaving made it possible to reload UT and finish the map though. I think 80% is a pretty accurate score all in all though. I think I'd give technical execution a 2 or a 3.

I know I dropped the ball on the technical side of redux, but I do not recall game crashing being among the map's problems. I'd be curious to see a log if you have one. It's just that I've never had the map crash on me.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 04:59

That's not something I've ever had happen to me either; you've kept your setting generally the same without any other errors, right? I guess you could check the log. Another thing that caused problems with me was an area in the beta version of Xenome where creature and path-related problems would occur that crashed the game, so maybe the same is happening just for you that no one else is experiencing. Again, check the log, and if an error message has popped up at all directly after the crash, you could post what it says too, if it could help you with your problem.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010, 06:48

Yeah, I think its an issue with 3dfx Glide more than anything. I could try playing it in OpenGL instead and see if it hard-crashes like it does with 3dfx. Oddly enough though, I'm able to play most UT campaigns in 3dfx with little to no issues (7Bullets applies). I think I might have experienced some crashes with Xidia though.

I have a feeling that something was changed in the Xidia era code for 7Bullets that made it more stable for 3dfx rendering. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not though.

Next