Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[ut] Various project updates

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: [ut] Various project updates

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009, 22:38

- A single player scenario that has gone mostly un-noticed by UnrealSP so far, Unforchers by editor Dave, has been released in an updated form in the UT99.org Community Bonus Pack 2. While the compilation prominently features multi-player content, Dave's campaign makes it appealing for SP fans!
- Vandora's Secret Passage by Creavion et al was updated with a couple of refreshing screenshots showing some of Creavion's trademark jungle landscapes, among others. Lookin' good there!
- Team Red Nemesis' Residual Decay also has new shots to present, featuring breathtaking mapping by GTD-Carthage and a new baddie, the Big Man, created by Kaka.
A time of progress! There's life in the old dog yet.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [ut] Various project updates

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009, 23:38

sana wrote:There's life in the old dog yet, after all.

Definately! I'm also continuing designs on an SP now. I wonder what brought bout this sudden mapping burst? :?

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [ut] Various project updates

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009, 23:56

Legendslayer222 wrote:I wonder what brought bout this sudden mapping burst? :?

Don’t overdo it

Anyway thx for mentioning in the news.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 04:08

Legendslayer, did you know that taking the grid snap off of your maps is really unhealthy for them. I noticed on your Rise of USP map that just about everything in your map was unsnapped from the grid. No scolding meant here, just a tip for this SP you're working on. This thing can force you to make much more simpler maps simply do to BSP errors, and with you building your skills at making a believable and appealing environment your not gonna want hitches so soon during the building of a really detailed map.

If you want to add decorative objects and details that look convincing, you should probably use semi-solids for those, as they take cuts onto themselves instead of creating more on surrounding surfaces. Very early tips that can enhance your advantages towards a good map, and as you build your skills, I'm sure your knack for creative story and environments will come together very well. :tup:
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 09:06

jetv435 wrote:I noticed on your Rise of USP map that just about everything in your map was unsnapped from the grid.

What? :?

I don't think I did anything to specifically 'unsnap' I just put the grid down to one unit and worked like that...

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 15:43

Thanks for reanouncing my maps! :) I didn't expect reading about them in the news. Is anyone interested in writing a review for me? :D
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 19:24

Oh, sorry about that. It's just that the editor doesn't really work with that due to BSP cuts that crap themselves over with a BSP hole, but I wouldn't exactly say no to using a low grid scale for things like lockers or anything like that. Using a larger grid scale more constantly like 16 or 8 helps keep your map from forming a lattice of potent BSP cuts. These things go everywhere. :/
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 19:53

jetv435 wrote:Oh, sorry about that. It's just that the editor doesn't really work with that due to BSP cuts that crap themselves over with a BSP hole, but I wouldn't exactly say no to using a low grid scale for things like lockers or anything like that. Using a larger grid scale more constantly like 16 or 8 helps keep your map from forming a lattice of potent BSP cuts. These things go everywhere. :/

What he said. You should really only be down at a grid of 1uu for really fine details. And, if you're routinely getting that small with your details, you're probably not making efficient use of nodes (limiting the eventual length of your map).
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009, 17:53

Hellscrag wrote:
jetv435 wrote:Oh, sorry about that. It's just that the editor doesn't really work with that due to BSP cuts that crap themselves over with a BSP hole, but I wouldn't exactly say no to using a low grid scale for things like lockers or anything like that. Using a larger grid scale more constantly like 16 or 8 helps keep your map from forming a lattice of potent BSP cuts. These things go everywhere. :/

What he said. You should really only be down at a grid of 1uu for really fine details. And, if you're routinely getting that small with your details, you're probably not making efficient use of nodes (limiting the eventual length of your map).

I have found it easier to work with larger grids for more detail, thanks for the tips. 8)