This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Scrag's travelogue

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Scrag's travelogue

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012, 00:26

Hellscrag wrote:I referred to a game of cat-and-mouse with the Skaarj... I may have got things in the wrong order.

Yeah, it's just that no mention was made of the "jump out of your pants" moment and battle that occurs when you actually collect the 8ball. I remember it took me about 4 playthroughs before it happened properly, which really heightened the wtf factor cause i thought i had this map down
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012, 19:56

Hellscrag wrote:Unreal 227g in OpenGL mode. I didn't really notice a problem, I thought the beach looked OK really. Would be interested to see a screeny of how it looks to you...

hm.. I tried to find a screenie from the MOTW, but can't find it... (it's actually at http://www.hellscrag.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3483 but that doesn't exist anymore.. :P )
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012, 23:22

2. Caverns by Paul C. Roberts

The player's directionless journey continues in a location that bears no resemblance to the one he just left, with no entrance behind him. Confused? I certainly was!

The player finds himself in a cellar area containing four cisterns. Slith lurk in the background.

A doorway at the far side of the cellar leads out into an underground dock, where two rafts await. Unfortunately, no amount of kicking and jumping will make the rafts flow along the subterranean river. The weary player is forced to take a swim.

Before long, the underground river brings the player to an impassable rock wall. However, a narrow opening awaits to one side.

The opening leads to a number of underground chambers that are being used for storage. The chambers' angular nature suggests that they may be artificial. Either way, they are infested with Flies and Pupae. In the furthermost chamber, a nameless human has met his end as he shelters by the light of some smouldering logs.

A side passageway brings the player back out into the river, where a sickly yellow sky is now visible. Nearby, another dock offers the player a way to the next stage of his enigmatic travels.

3. Nali Canyon by Paul C. Roberts

The player arrives at the top of a great yawning abyss stretching down into darkness below. A narrow wooden bridge leads to an opening on the far side.

Despite the presence of Pupae on the bridge, it seems that this part of the system of tunnels is still occupied by the Nali, who are hiding here with the last of their precious belongings stored in crates and vases.

The tunnels lead ever deeper down inside the wall of the canyon. On the lower levels, near another stretch of the underground waterway, a Nali beckons as the player kills the last of the Pupae that have been haunting them. The departed humans have left certain items in their care - weapons which the Nali now want the player to have.

Signs of civilisation continue in the depths of the tunnels. Perhaps the Nali will be able to relax again once the player has completed his meandering travels...

The player emerges on narrow plank crossing deeper down in the canyon. Unfortunately, the entrance on the far side is blocked. The only way forward lies in a death-defying leap to a narrow platform on an even lower level...

Surviving the fall - just - the player looks back up to see the sky far above. There's no way back now...

Something sinister lurks on this lowest level of the canyon. A teleporter... but to where?

4. Deep Down by Paul C. Roberts

The player materialises in a logistical routing station guarded by a Mercenary. Ahead lies a huge platform lift.

The player steps onto the lift and begins a slow descent.

Humans have passed this way before, it would seem, but who they were and where they were headed is unexplained. Whatever their goals, their eviscerated remains litter the infrastructure of the platform lift.

And it's not long before the player learns how they met their end. The place is, once again, infested with Pupae...

5. Death Arena by Paul C. Roberts

The lift arrives in a large, dimly lit hallway. There's a vague sense that something significant is about to happen.

Indeed, the hallway is merely an antechamber to a huge subterranean chamber. At the centre of the chamber, a winged nemesis lurks.

Once again, it's a final fight to the death with a Skaarj Warlord.

When the Warlord can take no more punishment, it teleports away. The player is left, with no exit and no way back, to rot, alone, forever...

Here in Hollow we have what is ultimately a frustrating pack to play. The build isn't bad at first, but the story is nonexistent, the maps get shorter and less accomplished in design as you go on, and the lack of any way to actually finish the thing is fairly unforgiveable. None the less, I didn't hate it, and in a way my impressions of it have improved slightly over time. Hollow was one of the first custom packs I played, and it was the first in which I couldn't become completely immersed, with the limitations of its design being more apparent than others I had played at that time. This created a lingering feeling of dissapointment that has taken some time to ebb away.

Strangely, though, part of this pack seeded some of the ideas for Tashara's Cove. For some reason, when I reached the underground chamber in Nali Canyon where there is a foggy, unreachable cavern with the sound of a waterfall in the background, my mind expanded the scene to imagine, just out of sight, the suspended causeways and imposing stone pillars that so define the appearance of the village in Tashara's Cove. I can't remember now whether this happened consciously or in a dream, but it was one of the strangest and most unlikely sources of mapping inspiration I've ever had!

Next time: Since both maps are short, probably a double feature. I will be seeking the Heart of Chizra, and rescuing yet another Nali Priest...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012, 23:55

I recall really liking the last level of Hollow because of its dramatic arena and introduction to the boss. Shame there is no end.

Also, you would think those Nali Priests would learn to protect themselves properly because they are always getting kidnapped. If they are so good at hiding items in their churches, why don't they just build a small secret room and lock themselves inside it when the Skaarj arrive?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012, 00:35

Legendslayer222 wrote:Also, you would think those Nali Priests would learn to protect themselves properly because they are always getting kidnapped. If they are so good at hiding items in their churches, why don't they just build a small secret room and lock themselves inside it when the Skaarj arrive?

I expect they're claustrophobic. Mouhaga! :P

Life is what you make of it.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012, 14:49

Legendslayer222 wrote:Also, you would think those Nali Priests would learn to protect themselves properly because they are always getting kidnapped. If they are so good at hiding items in their churches, why don't they just build a small secret room and lock themselves inside it when the Skaarj arrive?

How much food can they hide there? How much fresh air? How could they help the Messiah or other Nali in distress? How COULD THEY be hiding when their planet is under attack?
And finally...
It's a lot easier to find a person then an item.

Previous