Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Warlord in Nyleve - A funny tale

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Warlord in Nyleve - A funny tale

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2007, 20:54

Hi all people. Time to create the second thread in the new Gameplay forum and boost my post count of one cool and long post.

It's about a well-known story about Nyleve, which every die-hard U1 fans should know. Probably, after reading the thread title (lol spoilers) and this part of the Unreal's Introduction description...
You hear mechanical laughter behind you. You turn around to see an immense winged monster flying away from the body of one of your buddies.

If you feel totally worthless for not to know what the description is talking about, then I'll say it here: Warlord, huge Skaarj boss with awesome wings and filled with cheap tactics.
This guy is supposed to make a brief appearance in our beloved Nyleve's Falls, for then appear after 5, 10, 15... 27 levels, in a cave named Demonlord's Lair.
The version of Nyleve in which the boss appears should be the one shown in the 3 minutes AVI video, where you can pass behind the Vortex Rikers and there are lamps (like the one in the Biterfish pool) around. Or it was just never completed at all...

Luckily, the last version of Nyleve still have part of the scene, completely unfinished: the bloody Dante body without a Translator Message and some Alarmpoints that everyone would see them by opening the map in the editor. As long as you don't get instantly bored if you're using UEd2 and it has been hit again by the damn bug of the windows disappearances. Good reason to move yourself a little and reinstalling your old UEd2 from the UT's first CD.

This is the base, time to fix the scene. First thing, all the AlarmPoints have tags WL1, WL2... WL15. The first AlarmPoint is the one which makes the Warlord shoot the body, and it already works perfectly. Like the other ones, that are used to make the Warlord flying away and disappear outside the level.
AlarmPoints have the tags, but they aren't attached. You have to write WL# in the various "Next alarm tags" tabs to make the big guy's scene work (E.g. Alarmpoint with tag WL1 should have as next alarm tag WL2, etcetera, ****ing etcetera).

Now it's time to add the Warlord. Put him near the body, in a way that he should look directly the ledge's beginning from where you come from. Write in his AlarmTag's tab "WL1" and you done the first part.
Now, the Warlord is supposed to play with this dead body. Time to use the famous Unreal magic which makes things unused to be seen. Remember the Warlord having some @ss-kicking/punching/eating animations?
These are used in a special state called Mutilation (see the Warlord's script). Due to my experience with SP packs, no one used this function. And you're gonna experience it here.
I don't know if the Mutilation scripts is complete or not, but he does have a strange bug for me, at least in this case. The Warlord, following the first AlarmTag, will NEVER attack you (except one time, wait a little. Just read). He'll do only his work.
I go quite near him, outside his sight view. If I not put myself near his field of view, the boss will do a Fly animation. Put yourself in his view and he'll start the scene (phew). I fixed this by putting the Warlord in the way written at the start of this paragraph, so no matter what you do, he'll see you.

Put in the Warlord's Order "Mutilating". In this way the boss will do these funny animations over the dead body. Cut the meat pieces, eat them. Nice Skaarj behaviours! :o
Lower his Sightradius from 3000 to 1250. In this way you can see clearly what he's doing, unlike before that you don't have even the time to see his mutilation work and he just starts quickly the scripted event.

Done? Go near the Warlord. He'll do the "I wanna cut u r throat" animation (probably to you, but he doesn't rotate), followed by the usual laugh.
Now he'll run at the first Alarm Point (found near the edge) and he'll quickly shoot the rocket to the dead body, gibbing him in the process. This is the only time you can get damaged by the Warlord. Just be stupid and put yourself over the Male3gib carcass, and you're done that too.
The Warlord will now fly away, behind the mountains and then disappear.

That's the scene, at least everyone will know how it was supposed to be.

PICS of LOL:

1)Here's him! The Warlord where he should appear! He's playing with the body of course, like no one would :P

2)See the bad guy eating cool stuff (for him).

3)"I wanna cut u r throat!" animation. Highly amusing.

4)See below.

5)That body (perfectly visible thanks to the awesome pink colour) is going to eat a rocket.

6)Boss flies away. The end...

7)Alarm points.

And that's all. Have to thank my mate Leo for testing this :D

Mapfile is of course available through PMs and E-mails.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2007, 21:01

I can remember just summoning the Warlord while being invisible, setting his alarmtag to WL1 and he worked.. laughed, shot the rocket and flew off.

I wonder what reason they had for actually cutting that scene from the game.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2007, 21:55

i remember this scene too, iirc dinwitty found out in the old days and some server admins would spawm him there :P

the reason for the cut? maybe they thought its fairly stupid to put a warlord there, its basically a pointless introduction for an enemy that would be introduced 20+ levels later, and besides the warlord has better things to do like office jobs at the mothership and torturing nalis rather then making a brief appearance at nyleve, maybe for a manta or the dragon predecessor it might have fitted.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2007, 22:59

There is also an unused bird fly sequence it seems at the end of Nyleve.
And even in the start of Nyleve there is one more alarmpoint, etc and trigger, but I think those sequences are not working normally.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2007, 23:38

sana wrote:I can remember just summoning the Warlord while being invisible, setting his alarmtag to WL1 and he worked.. laughed, shot the rocket and flew off.

Looks like there's no need to fix the AlarmPoints if the Warlord already knows where to go in his flight.

Good idea introducing him in Demonlord's lair though.
ImageImage

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 00:00

Oh, man. I wonder if there's anything you didn't find about Unreal. :tup:
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 00:52

Knew about this one for a while....yeah, it is kinda neat.
Old as Dirt

User avatar Ryu
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 09:03

NicolasEymerich wrote:Oh, man. I wonder if there's anything you didn't find about Unreal. :tup:

hmmmm Thread: Unreal trivia quiz.

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 13:26

Ryu wrote:
NicolasEymerich wrote:Oh, man. I wonder if there's anything you didn't find about Unreal. :tup:

hmmmm Thread: Unreal trivia quiz.

heh, it's a good idea! \o/
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Skaarj22

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 13:32

I think they cut it because they already had a similar scene. I am referring to the Skaaj in the Vortex Rikers. They probably thought that one scene of forshadowing was enough.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 16:21

Is Skaarj, not Skaaj.
ImageImage

Skaarj22

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 18:21

Fine, this is the Skaaj clan of the Skaarj :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 18:54

Skaaj22 wrote:Fine, this is the Skaaj clan of the Skaarj :)

If you would prefer to be "Skaarj22", I can change your username.

Skaarj22

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 21:56

Yes please!

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009, 20:25

You know, I think there's another bird sequence in Noork. If you fly up on top of the ruins you can see two similar birds and if you shoot them without killing them they fly off to an invisible alarm point, like in Nyleve. 7Bullets actually left that two-bird sequence in.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."