Scout-kun is a lie... right?

UT + Oldskool + Unreal crash.

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: UT + Oldskool + Unreal crash.

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013, 01:17

TheIronKnuckle wrote:How big is ucc.exe? (I don't have it on me). If it's less than 3 meg I'd guess it'd be feasible to reverse engineer, disassemble, etc
UCC.exe is 135,680 bytes by itself, but I don't know if it requires any other libraries (Maybe Core.dll or Engine.dll, which would add a few extra MB). I'm 100% sure reverse engineering would violate every EULA ever though so I wouldn't do it without permission.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013, 10:58

If a EULA says somewhere "don't reverse engineer" I'm quite happy to ignore that part :lol: If it's for personal use only I say anything goes! Of course what we're talking about here is some community effort to replace UCC, which implies distribution among many people and legal subterfuge, so I wouldn't be cool with that.

On the other hand I guess even if I'm doing it for personal use only, the knowledge that I walk away with after the act would stick to me and potentially find its way into other products that I produce and code bases I contribute to. So yeah, can start to somewhat see the lawyer/EPIC side of the argument.... Still, fuck em! :lol: If I'm curious about how it works I'll damn well take a peek inside the box.

/meandering and incriminating river of thought
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013, 19:47

UCC.EXE fot UT is 110,592 bytes

For Unreal2 is 61.440 bytes

both same for size on disk and size.
Just ban everyone

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013, 00:08

Unrealscript is just opcodes translated into C++ functions

</themoreyouknow>

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013, 02:31

I think a look under the hood will only serve to aggravate you. Once you see a bunch of easy fixes you'll be hard pressed not to want to try to address them. I'm fine working in UScript but if I had a singular wish it would be true control of gravity whether it was zone or actor. So many good Escher style maps could be made....

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013, 06:51

Ya well I think people should start mapping for Unreal 2., keep telling you all.
Just ban everyone

Previous