This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Most un-leet pickup in Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Most un-leet pickup in Unreal

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2008, 13:21

Flare
No votes
Jump Boots (3 charges)
No votes
Acoustic Dampener
No votes
Force Field
33%
Voice Box
67%
Other (specify)
No votes

Total votes: 24

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008, 20:41

And your post has certainly no point in this thread.

You come here calling everyone noobs because they have not seen one lame Unreal SpeedRun which no one cares of. And that lame Unreal SpeedRun features the use of a pure stupid, purple item that no one is going to use, unless they want to die with splash weapons or doing one of those annoying speedruns where you have those enemies running at you while you escape, with every trick that God knows of, like a little man searching for the damn exit.
ImageImage

User avatar cronodevir
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008, 22:53

Lol...you are too serious..seriously.
I'm Garble and MrBlowtatoes

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 02:30

It's the dampener.

The voicebox at least explodes when it runs out, giving it a sort of usefulness as an extra flare (if you see my comments in the Flare thread on why Flares are potential weapons). The forcefield can be used as a makeshift step ladder. The jump boots are obviously useful for a number of reasons.

But the dampener? pointless in SP. All the above are clearly better suited for DM use anyway.

User avatar Bluejay
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 04:17

There should be a button that lets you throw any of the inventory items at your enemies. At least the useless items have a use

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 10:18

Mister_Prophet wrote:The voicebox at least explodes when it runs out, giving it a sort of usefulness as an extra flare (if you see my comments in the Flare thread on why Flares are potential weapons).

The VoiceBox's explosion is harmless. The Flares deal only around 15 damage per explosion which is the same as a normal DP bolt.

Mister_Prophet wrote:But the dampener? pointless in SP. All the above are clearly better suited for DM use anyway.

Works perfectly if you want to kill a Skaarj/anything from behind with charged grenades. If you aim well with the Dampener turned ON, you'll have 100% chances that the grenades won't miss. The enemy realizes your presence after they have been hit.
It just needs a longer charge, it's a stupidly overpowered item if combined with the Invisibility.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 15:17

Gah, a small correction. Flare explosion does 30 damage, but I hardly find a moment when they come useful in offense. Weapons FTW.
ImageImage

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 15:18

Though Invisibility has 1 useless thing. after you shoot. you won't turn invisible again. :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 16:11

I quite like the Force Field, but agree that it is made useless by the fact that you can only carry one.

Example of where I've used it: In TheLanding3, where you climb the ladder onto the first big open green space and are attacked by Mercs from two directions. I use the Force Field to block the rockets fired by one of them and concentrate my fire on the other.

If you could carry several Force Fields and they were common items, they could be really quite useful. "Carrying multiple Force Fields" was something we were going to implement in BfNP, rather than leaving the item out of the game all together.

Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player? That would make the item a great deal more useful - a temporary invulnerability shield (even if the player couldn't fire while using it).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 16:36

Hellscrag wrote:Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player?

Although that's a nice idea, I think it's actually designed to fit the collision radius (which is limited to a cylinder form).
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 17:14

Hellscrag wrote:Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player?

A futuristic, state of the art plasma condom for mercenaries?
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 17:23

sana wrote:

Although that's a nice idea, I think it's actually designed to fit the collision radius (which is limited to a cylinder form).

Yes, but I also note that it appears to be hollow.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar cronodevir

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 18:46

Everyone knows its a plasma donut. Yumm!
I'm Garble and MrBlowtatoes

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 21:33

obviously the voicebox, i won't even go and explain why it sucks.
secondly the dampener, its largely useless in a non-stealth oriented game like unreal :p

and more interestingly, i did find quite afew uses for the forcefield, not only for blocking incoming enemies in tight corridors or corners, but also to climb high places and use it as a jumping spot. its usefull for getting out of the water in places where the edge is too steep :o

there is also a very easy exploit with the forcefield that allows you to fall from any height onto sloped surfaces ;)

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 11:44

Hellscrag wrote:Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player? That would make the item a great deal more useful - a temporary invulnerability shield (even if the player couldn't fire while using it).

well unreal Contained Many Unused and Unfinished Stuff. like "rats" for dead bodies, the Quadshot and "tool" for Nalis. plus some more. Epic maybe was thininking of making it like that but never got the chance?.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:08

Hellscrag wrote:Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player? That would make the item a great deal more useful - a temporary invulnerability shield (even if the player couldn't fire while using it).

I was thinkin that first time I played it.. and that I could shoot, but couldn't get hit. Don't tryout that thought with a rocket launcher.. :tdown: :lol:

Voicebox - useless. Tried it out.. never worked.
Forcefield - only useful when you get attacked from 2 directions
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Previous Next